P1000 Randomly dies

Wiggins

Wiggins

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000 which up till about a month ago has been awesome no troubles whatsoever. Now a little background I do trail ride occasionally so it has seen some rough but 90% of the time it is used 4 to 6 hours a day on our farm now we got some hilly grond but nothing major. So about a month ago it started doing this I'll pull out on the road to go to another Farm get up cruising about 35-40 and it just dies starts Gering down and we go to stop I can start it back up and it runs like nothing ever happened most of the time every once in awhile I will start it back up get back up to speed and it will die again started right back up and we're good to go it just does this every few days maybe three days maybe one day my dealer don't know what it is and it probably won't do it for them has anyone had a problem similar to this

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What you describe is exactly what my problems were. Except when mine died, i would get to about 6 or 7 mph and it would die again.

Next time it happens, watch for codes on the dash. Video them with your phone if at all possible. You could very well have an injector harness issue like i did. The first time it happened, i had spent the whole day riding, on the way back to camp, i made a left turn and it died. It took me almost an hr of start, stall, stop to go 2 miles back to my trailer. Tell the dealer it flashed a code 13. Have them do the test to check the injector harness. Mine had a broken wire in the connector. Spliced a new one in and have had zero issue since.

Reactions: HBarlow and ChadD
Wiggins

Wiggins

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What you describe is exactly what my problems were. Except when mine died, i would get to about 6 or 7 mph and it would die again.

Next time it happens, watch for codes on the dash. Video them with your phone if at all possible. You could very well have an injector harness issue like i did. The first time it happened, i had spent the whole day riding, on the way back to camp, i made a left turn and it died. It took me almost an hr of start, stall, stop to go 2 miles back to my trailer. Tell the dealer it flashed a code 13. Have them do the test to check the injector harness. Mine had a broken wire in the connector. Spliced a new one in and have had zero issue since.

Ok thanks I'll keep my phone handy

Reactions: ChadD
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When it dies, video the dash for roughly 60 seconds before touching key. When you turn key off to restart, the codes go away. It may be stored in memory accessible by the dealer, but not by the end user that i have seen.

Wiggins

Wiggins

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When it dies, video the dash for roughly 60 seconds before touching key. When you turn key off to restart, the codes go away. It may be stored in memory accessible by the dealer, but not by the end user that i have seen.

I cant get the video to upload I've tried is there something I special I have to do on here it says it's too large

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Try uploading it to youtube, then post the link here.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you sir!
I will tag you in a thread, sit tight for a few mins.

6CA0EA28 2A9F 479B B70F 48E8A077823A

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your video is important, show that to service writer if you choose to have them fix under warranty.
Remove engine cover and seat back, this gives great access to injectors.
Confirm both connectors are fully seated
Start engine and let idle
Slowly man handle front injector harness.
When it dies, you will be in the right area.
If ou refer to the thread i tagged you in, you will see pictures of where my connector failed.

Wiggins

Wiggins

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your video is important, show that to service writer if you choose to have them fix under warranty.
Remove engine cover and seat back, this gives great access to injectors.
Confirm both connectors are fully seated
Start engine and let idle
Slowly man handle front injector harness.
When it dies, you will be in the right area.
If ou refer to the thread i tagged you in, you will see pictures of where my connector failed.

Ok thank you so much I'll check it out soon as I get a chance and let you know

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My pleasure, hope it helps! If you decide to fix yourself, and need help, shoot me a message, I can help you thru it.
Hope you have a multimeter, if not, this is a chance to acquire one, or if under warranty, let your dealer handle it.

Reactions: ChadD and Eltobgi
Wiggins

Wiggins

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My pleasure, hope it helps! If you decide to fix yourself, and need help, shoot me a message, I can help you thru it.
Hope you have a multimeter, if not, this is a chance to acquire one, or if under warranty, let your dealer handle it.

I sure do appreciate though I may be hollering back at you for advice and she's out of warranty so I'll be doing it myself but luckily I have plenty of tools I have spares my spare when it comes to tools like that lol

Wiggins

Wiggins

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I put a meter on the clip with ignition on and you have to wiggle the wires in the right spot to get 12v so looks like the same problem as yours I wouldn't known were to start without you bud

Reactions: ghost and Eltobgi
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you check the thread i tagged you in, i offered some choices on where to get a new connector.

You might be able to take the connection apart and crimp a new terminal on, i didn’t have terminal tools to repair it, so i bought new connectors with pig tails, and a harness from my honda dealer that would work.

Wiggins

Wiggins

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you check the thread i tagged you in, i offered some choices on where to get a new connector.

You might be able to take the connection apart and crimp a new terminal on, i didn’t have terminal tools to repair it, so i bought new connectors with pig tails, and a harness from my honda dealer that would work.

I'm going to see if I can make it work and going to order one cause as of right now only way I'm riding in it is if someone is pulling me

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was told Honda cars used the same connector. I couldn’t verify that with my local dealer though. If you have a pull a part locally, it might be worth a walk thru. Or if you have a yard that deals with newer stuff, they might walk you thru and let you look.
I can cut up my spare harness, but i doubt shipping it to you will be any faster than buying from your dealer. Mine had it to me in 2 days.

Wiggins

Wiggins

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was told Honda cars used the same connector. I couldn’t verify that with my local dealer though. If you have a pull a part locally, it might be worth a walk thru. Or if you have a yard that deals with newer stuff, they might walk you thru and let you look.
I can cut up my spare harness, but i doubt shipping it to you will be any faster than buying from your dealer. Mine had it to me in 2 days.

How much was your harness from the dealer

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ordered a fuel injector harness from a 14 or 15 cbr650 i think. It is a 4 cyl bike with 4 connectors I needed. Was less than $20 from my dealer. I think he discounted 10% because I bought my machine from them.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!