P1000 Stutter and dies repeatedly

73datsun

Apr 13, 2019
minneapolis
Ownership

1. 1000-3
2018 Pioneer 1K EPS
~150miles

Took it in for my first full service (the one with valve adjustments, etc) and the steering recall about six weeks ago. Everything went fine to the tune of ~$500. Brought it home, pulled it off the trailer, parked it. Haven't used since. Fast forward to yesterday, my daughter wanted to go for a ride in the driveway. Start it up, and it's struggling and dies out. Keep cranking, starts, dies, etc. Until the battery goes out. Charge the battery over night, same s*** the next day. So replace with a new battery. EXACT SAME s***.

I get no check engine light. So no code to read. See video.

Ok, I'll explore SXS forum. See that there's been fuel injector issues. Rip off the seat and all the ancillary bull s***, only to find that the injector wiring appears to be very solid and not an issue. Checked grounds (I think I found all of them), that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Call dealer, service manager tells me it's likely because I put premium fuel (non ethanol) in it and "these are really designed to run on 87" -- the f*ck?

I mean I'm going to take it to the dealer, regardless, as it's under Honda warranty. I'm just curious what y'all think this could be.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
2018 Pioneer 1K EPS
~150miles

Took it in for my first full service (the one with valve adjustments, etc) and the steering recall about six weeks ago. Everything went fine to the tune of ~$500. Brought it home, pulled it off the trailer, parked it. Haven't used since. Fast forward to yesterday, my daughter wanted to go for a ride in the driveway. Start it up, and it's struggling and dies out. Keep cranking, starts, dies, etc. Until the battery goes out. Charge the battery over night, same s*** the next day. So replace with a new battery. EXACT SAME s***.

I get no check engine light. So no code to read. See video.

Ok, I'll explore SXS forum. See that there's been fuel injector issues. Rip off the seat and all the ancillary bull s***, only to find that the injector wiring appears to be very solid and not an issue. Checked grounds (I think I found all of them), that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Call dealer, service manager tells me it's likely because I put premium fuel (non ethanol) in it and "these are really designed to run on 87" -- the f*ck?

I mean I'm going to take it to the dealer, regardless, as it's under Honda warranty. I'm just curious what y'all think this could be.
The gas deal is poop. You cant't tell if the injector wires are bad by looking at them and pulling on them, should be throwing a code though?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Allowing the machine to sit unused for three years is not helpful.

If that gasoline comment was actually made by a service manager he's a moron. A gasoline engine designed to run on 87 octane will operate completely normally on 89 or 93 octane. The reverse of that is not true. If the engine is designed o run on 93 it will not run as strong on 87 and will suffer from valve clatter (pre-ignition) on the lower octane gasoline.

The fact that you filled it with non-ethanol makes it less likely your issue is caused by old gasoline gone bad.

If it was running properly when parked and now runs bad what happened while it was parked? Mice eating wires? Corrosion of ground straps? Gas turned bad?

Perform a visual inspection of wiring? Drain and refill fuel tank?

I would pump out the fuel tank if possible. If not, add an injector cleaner/water dispersant to the fuel tank and try to drive it without shutting off the engine until it clears up and runs smooth. if that doesn't happen I don't have a clue.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was it running fine when you took it into the dealer? My other question would be, how old is the gas? I understand you put high octane in it, but did you add it to some old gas? 150 miles on an '18 begs the question that it could have been sitting a while.

73datsun

Apr 13, 2019
minneapolis
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It’s a 2018 that I bought new with 3miles on in Summer of 2019. It’s used on our property and plowing our driveway. And a few trail trips. I only put five gallons of non ethanol fuel in it at a time.

I did the first oil change service myself. This summer I had the dealer do the recall and the first Honda service. It was running fine all winter and spring (used it many times a week for snow plowing, and then all spring for lawn maintenance and hauling).

After it came home from dealer it started fine and pulled it into garage. Yesterday it started a little hard and then made it halfway down the driveway and since then we’ve just been dealing with the sputtering out.

I’ve poked all around looking for critter nests or anything out of the ordinary and not seeing anything.

Not throwing a CEL is what’s kinda confusing me about it all.

and yes, I don’t for a minute think that premium non ethanol fuel is the culprit and not running 87 is the cause. Was legitimately dumb founded when he suggested that. 😂

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
P

PioneeringTimes

Aug 6, 2021
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It sure sounds fuel related to me. Have you checked that the fuel pump is working? Maybe something fuel related got left unplugged after your service visit. Water in the fuel can also make an engine behave the same way.

73datsun

Apr 13, 2019
minneapolis
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Fouled spark plugs, replaced, drained gas, put new in. Runs fine. I use the same non ethanol fuel in my lawn tractor and it wasn't an issue. Guess I'll just drive it more often. 🙃

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Glad you got 'er runnin', thanks for the follow up. 👍

The service manager is either a liar or an idiot, probably both.

Reactions: Lady01 and Jerryg
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!