P1000 Rear Winch

kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Picked up a badlands 5k winch from harbor freight on sale for $150 and welded it to a receiver hitch flipped upside down. I’m very impressed with the quality of it and It came with a dash switch and a handheld remote. I added quick disconnects to the front and rear so It can also be used in the front, as a backup to the SATV Black ops 6k (burned 1 up already).

Has anyone else done something like this and had an I’ll affect on the receiver hitch frame?

65D6D9E5 B5E2 448F 98E6 F1BFB88B59D3 965E1E2F C92B 4E24 9973 7BF2D1A80CF2 B5AFBDFA 6D6B 450E BA0E 19F81546C639 CFF801C2 CECC 4ACB 8C6C E594F1D25AC9 D634A1D1 E7C0 41AB B952 2E3CAEC929AD 8B96C2F4 8809 4DA5 9926 E43BC3B48A25 F2E6FA33 045F 4258 B064 95F23009BC28 4BC49D7E C83A 409D 86D5 5618357E2D65

Last edited:
G

GEM1N1998

Oct 22, 2020
Lee's Summit
Picked up a badlands 5k winch from harbor freight on sale for $150 and welded it to a receiver hitch flipped upside down. I’m very impressed with the quality of it and It came with a dash switch and a handheld remote. I added quick disconnects to the front and rear so It can also be used in the front, as a backup to the SATV Black ops 6k (burned 1 up already).

Has anyone else done something like this and had an I’ll affect on the receiver hitch?

View attachment 241258 View attachment 241259 View attachment 241260 View attachment 241261 View attachment 241262 View attachment 241263 View attachment 241264 View attachment 241265

Where’d you get the flag screen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where’d you get the flag screen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Biteme
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been planning on doing this myself. You should be fine with the receiver mount, as I've read of several others using it for a rear winch and have not seen any problems reported.

I'm interested in more details on your wiring. Did you route the rear wires along the frame? And what kind of plugs are you using for quick connects?

I've also been thinking a receiver on the front would be a great way to make it easy to bring it up front if needed.

Another thought on the wiring: if you're in a water hole above the depth of the winch, I'd want my connection to be up higher, where I can hook it up without being under water.

D

DDDonkey

I had this done on an old ATV of mine, but I use a kit by Warn at the time. The kit was the wires with quick disconnect plug like yours and the receivers front and rear. I never had a problem and was a great add on. Keeps the winch out of the mud, my only problem was not forgetting the winch at home. Looks good!

Reactions: Biteme and kamikaze
kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been planning on doing this myself. You should be fine with the receiver mount, as I've read of several others using it for a rear winch and have not seen any problems reported.

I'm interested in more details on your wiring. Did you route the rear wires along the frame? And what kind of plugs are you using for quick connects?

I've also been thinking a receiver on the front would be a great way to make it easy to bring it up front if needed.

Another thought on the wiring: if you're in a water hole above the depth of the winch, I'd want my connection to be up higher, where I can hook it up without being under water.

Yes, I routed the wires along the frame and up the channel near the throttle pedal, with the oem wiring. Then I hooked both sets up to the badlands winch relay, so it will work on the front or back. I plan on leaving it on the back all the time, only using on the front as backup.

The QCs say they are only rated for50 amps but they seem to work fine so far, the connection is very solid, added dielectric grease to each.
I'll also be adding Quick Connects to my truck. So this setup should come in handy.

Link to the quick connects:

kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had this done on an old ATV of mine, but I use a kit by Warn at the time. The kit was the wires with quick disconnect plug like yours and the receivers front and rear. I never had a problem and was a great add on. Keeps the winch out of the mud, my only problem was not forgetting the winch at home. Looks good!

Thanks. I'm debating on getting a bigger drop hitch to flip upside down and mount this to, that will raise the winch up some closer to the bumper. As of right now, the bed can still raise up enough to check the fluids and such.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Did a rear winch years back and it’s worked well. Best pic I could find. If you run aftermarket exhaust it adds room, that’s why I went FMF.
Made a support bar that ties in to the suspension mounts and the hitch pin.
D8FD0476 CACB 4616 A5C9 992EA581E8CA

kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did a rear winch years back and it’s worked well. Best pic I could find. If you run aftermarket exhaust it adds room, that’s why I went FMF.
Made a support bar that ties in to the suspension mounts and the hitch pin.
View attachment 241268

That looks great! May go that route after the warranty expires. How does that HMF exhaust sound?

I removed the baffle to clean it and ran it for a minute and it sounded throaty! I like it but mud would surely come in the exhaust without the baffle installed.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That looks great! May go that route after the warranty expires. How does that HMF exhaust sound?

I removed the baffle to clean it and ran it for a minute and it sounded throaty! I like it but mud would surely come in the exhaust without the baffle installed.
It sounds good. Didn’t want anything too loud, it’s the quiet version. I’d say it’s got a rumble at start up then slightly louder at idle. Lower R’s not too noticeable just a little low grunt, at high R’s going through the gears it’s definitely there. Not bad though, very healthy sounding.

advertisement
kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why not use one of these? I like the idea!

Thought about getting that but I wanted the winch raised up some and doing what I did only cost $10 for the hitch. The capacity of that is 6-9K lbs, didn't think it would bolt up and it weighs ~19 lbs

Reactions: tdhanses

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!