P700 Reasonable Power Up

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey guys. So now that my skid plate is done, flares built and installed, snorkel on and EMP bumpers, the only real thing I am lacking is a bit more power. My 2015 700-4 is a little lacking. I have read the Turbo mod by Spifyd and if I had more money then I would take that route. However my wife won't let me spend that kind of time or money.

So I am wanting to get a bit more power. I am changing the air filter out to a k&n, changing out the exhaust tip or making the pipe larger. I know it needs some sort of tuning, but seeing lots of kits, I am not sure which to go with, and with the kit, will it need a different injector? I guess I am looking for the bottom line here, which tuner is worth the money.
Again I am not drag racing, I don't even care to be the first one up the hill, I want to retain the reliability of my Honda.

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys. So now that my skid plate is done, flares built and installed, snorkel on and EMP bumpers, the only real thing I am lacking is a bit more power. My 2015 700-4 is a little lacking. I have read the Turbo mod by Spifyd and if I had more money then I would take that route. However my wife won't let me spend that kind of time or money.

So I am wanting to get a bit more power. I am changing the air filter out to a k&n, changing out the exhaust tip or making the pipe larger. I know it needs some sort of tuning, but seeing lots of kits, I am not sure which to go with, and with the kit, will it need a different injector? I guess I am looking for the bottom line here, which tuner is worth the money.
Again I am not drag racing, I don't even care to be the first one up the hill, I want to retain the reliability of my Honda.
I changed out the air filter to a uni. It was night and day. It would bounce off the rev limiter so much faster. And starts better.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2

I would go with a Dobeck tuner. Dobeck makes tuners for many of the other aftermarket companies, for example, the HMF tuner is actually made by Dobeck. May as well get it straight from the source you know? You will not need a bigger injector.

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ya when I put the 28s on I noticed a power loss on a hill at the hunting club it would bog. After I installed them I can ease up it an gas it an spin all 4.
Thanks. I don't have a great experience with chips on gas engines, and there are many cheap ones. Now to find one on sale.

Deerhunterrob

Deerhunterrob

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2017
NE ALABAMA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks. I don't have a great experience with chips on gas engines, and there are many cheap ones. Now to find one on sale.
The factory setting on the tuner ain't bad I ran it for a while.

Deerhunterrob

Deerhunterrob

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2017
NE ALABAMA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Which tune do you run on alot have you seen any over heating issues just how much power do you think you gained and what year model is yours
I run the factory setting mostly an I usually add a Lil more fuel to the low end side haven't had any over heating issues not sure how much power its noticeable though mine is a 2016

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Let us know how it turns out for you. I'm in the same boat with my 700-4. I ordered a Uni filter that will be here this week. I've also toyed with the idea of getting the 3D exhaust tip.

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Not sure I want to spend more money on a tip, I might cut and make the existing one larger.

Reactions: LandPioneer
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
A year ago (maybe longer) I was on this forum looking into tuners. The few people that had the tuners couldn't say...
"YES, get the tuner you will gain a lot of power".

Can anyone quantify the additional HP or how much torque you gain from a stand still?

Reactions: Mrtemplr
Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
I know the gains will be limited if nothing is changed on the engine. With the exhaust tip and high flow air filter I should be able to tell.

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I called Rapid Revolutions in Edmonton to get local pricing. The sales guy told me straight out I would be wasting my money. He said without any engine mods such as a big bore, cam and such it's a waste. Now I don't know. I don't mind spending money but hate wasting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I called Rapid Revolutions in Edmonton to get local pricing. The sales guy told me straight out I would be wasting my money. He said without any engine mods such as a big bore, cam and such it's a waste. Now I don't know. I don't mind spending money but hate wasting it.

I see your point bud I feel the same. I wish someone had hard facts on if it would help or not. I feel like just a little more power would make a big difference in this machine. I just wonder how much more horsepower it would take to carry over to real world difference.

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Realistically a tuner alone you won't see huge gains on a naturally aspirated engine, that's just the reality of it. However, being able to adjust your AFR is priceless. You can lean it out a bit (VERY CAREFULLY) to get a bit better fuel economy down low, and also richen the mixture up a bit at higher RPM's to help with head and exhaust temperature management. Then later on if you decide to turbo or cam, or big bore it, you're ready to go.

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Realistically a tuner alone you won't see huge gains on a naturally aspirated engine, that's just the reality of it. However, being able to adjust your AFR is priceless. You can lean it out a bit (VERY CAREFULLY) to get a bit better fuel economy down low, and also richen the mixture up a bit at higher RPM's to help with head and exhaust temperature management. Then later on if you decide to turbo or cam, or big bore it, you're ready to go.

My goal was never huge gains, but if a person could get another 5-10%, that would work. I just remember one climb last season, it was steep, so much so I was concerned about the front lifting, but at one point I honestly thought I would need to get out and push. Now I did have my wife and 2 kids in the back, but I am questioning if there was ever a shift to low gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: LandPioneer
SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
5-10% on a tuner alone isn't gonna happen, maybe 3-5% maybe. Now with a freer flowing exhaust and intake maybe. just a filter probably won't do it on the intake, the stock intake muffler/tract is pretty restrictive. On a small block 350CI Chev for instance, an intake, exhaust, and tuner may get you 10-15HP, that's on a 300+hp engine, so you can probably hope to see similar percentage gains as a rough guideline. The guys you spoke with in Edmonton are correct, without drastic changes to the engine, you can't take full advantage of what a tuner can offer you. But it's a good start. For me, I plan on doing the tuner first, play with it for a bit, while I'm saving/gathering parts to do more extreme upgrades later. That way, I'm not having to buy everything at once. YMMV.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!