DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah bob rack responded to me. It doesnt have anything to do with me but im tryin to keep up with all the recalls so when i buy another 700

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
You're getting another?

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
You're getting another?
Yes. Not right now but im goin to be looking into a 2 seater with power steering 700. For my daughter. I was going to do the 1000 an take portal off the 14 and let her drive it. But the way i drive id just fry the clutches on 1000

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

t-bear

t-bear

Nov 11, 2019
NE OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks DG Rider for the parts information...

Just checked mine this weekend and yep my lower bolt was more boogered than the photos posted on Honda's PDF and video. No indication (no loose steering, slop, nada) of any issues after 2000 miles in 10 months (2019 P1K-5 Basic).

The middle and top bolts looked fine.

I replaced all bolts and star washers with new units and a new steering joint. I think it was $115 delivered with a spare bolt.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyones been affected?

Took mine in this week, no issues.
Pulled, checked, and replaced the bolt.

Also. Parking collar was not affected. = free subtrans oil change. Lol.

I haven’t seen a letter on my ‘18 and the dealership is $60 in fuel away.

Not seeing this as a must do at the moment.

H

HondaTech

I should have updated this a few days ago, but I installed my parts. I was in a bit of a hurry, so I didn't get pics of the whole thing.

Even after removing the joint, a new bolt was tough to get started and tighten in the old joint, even though the threads look perfect, so I'm going to guess the joint gets deformed as well as damaging the bolt.

I'm thinking the alignment jig is simply to provide Honda with visual evidence this repair has been done properly. It's pretty easy to hold the bolt on the center of the groove while snugging it down.

Your correct, their just covering their ass that us monkeys are doing it right.

The same thing applies to the muffler recall, enough "techs" were throwing away the stock heat shield and just installing the new shield that we now have to submit a picture when it's complete.

Probably the same reason we have to photograph the parking collar.

All 3 that I've performed the inspection on needed a new joint. The last one was questionable, but we figured their never calling the parts in so you might as well get the most out of it. All together we've inspected 6 or 7 and I believe 5 have needed the joint replaced.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly I’m still having a hard time following the “why” of the recall.

I have an 18 eps base, and have yet to see any recall information. Not one issue with my rig steering wise either after 1500 mi.

maybe it’s that the nicked bolt is failing?
I have the same rig

Reactions: Isaiah and wrhii
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 1000 is still parked on the trailer. I’ll have to inspect it soon.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyones been affected?

Took mine in this week, no issues.
Pulled, checked, and replaced the bolt.

Also. Parking collar was not affected. = free subtrans oil change. Lol.
Just curious what the "parking collar" issue is about? I see @HondaTech talk about it also, so just curious. I haven't heard anything about it. Thanks

H

HondaTech

Just curious what the "parking collar" issue is about? I see @HondaTech talk about it also, so just curious. I haven't heard anything about it. Thanks

Certain 2019 and 2020 Talons and P1K may have had the sub trans assembled with a missing collar on the shaft that engages the parking arm.

If it is missing, the machine could jump out of park without notice or not engage park at all.

Honda is having us borehole the subtrans to verify the collar is there. Our shop has yet to see one that needs further action. There is a thread about it somewhere.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Certain 2019 and 2020 Talons and P1K may have had the sub trans assembled with a missing collar on the shaft that engages the parking arm.

If it is missing, the machine could jump out of park without notice or not engage park at all.

Honda is having us borehole the subtrans to verify the collar is there. Our shop has yet to see one that needs further action. There is a thread about it somewhere.
Sounds good. Hopefully I am exempt with my 2018 but you never know. Just another positive reason for the Hillbilly brake I guess. I did find the thread on it and it looks like it came out about March. Probably Covid related. Thanks for the response. Have a good day.

Reactions: Isaiah
Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How long does it take the dealer to fix this. I can do it but I've just been so busy. If it doesn't take them long I will take it to them and wait around for a little bit since it's an hour from me

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Only affects models with Power Steering
Just dropped sometime this afternoon
No info on a fix or inspection just yet. Only mentions Steering Joint B in the title.
More information coming Friday September 4th. I will post any more information pertaining when it's available.

@Hondasxs Feel free to sticky when the info becomes available

View attachment 221810
Any chance of seeing the inspection required for this steering problem ?

Reactions: Isaiah
t-bear

t-bear

Nov 11, 2019
NE OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a follow up to my earlier post where I went ahead and did the fix myself...

Did a 50 mile trip and checked the 20# torque on all three bolts at 5, 15 and 40 miles. All were perfect.

You'll need a long socket extension (or two in my case = 1 @ 12" and 1 @ 6") to make it easy to install and later verify torque.

BTW - I'd only be using a 3/8" torque wrench instead of a 1/2". My 1/2" is just not sensitive enough at that low of a torque...

EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks to all of ya for this info! I know this is a few weeks late of your input....just got my recall notice in the mail today (2020 P1k3). As well as 3 other local buds. Let’s Get-R-DONE!!

Reactions: Isaiah and TripleB
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just a follow up to my earlier post where I went ahead and did the fix myself...

Did a 50 mile trip and checked the 20# torque on all three bolts at 5, 15 and 40 miles. All were perfect.

You'll need a long socket extension (or two in my case = 1 @ 12" and 1 @ 6") to make it easy to install and later verify torque.

BTW - I'd only be using a 3/8" torque wrench instead of a 1/2". My 1/2" is just not sensitive enough at that low of a torque...
Talked to the service manager this week about doing it my self, he explained it is a safety recall and is different than the run of the mill recalls. He explains to me that the inspection / repair will be documented and attached the the vin#, that means if you ever trade it in you could be on the hook for inspection / repair? If the recall ever expires? It will take 10 times longer to load, trailer, unload, load and trailer than it would take me to do the inspection / repair?

Last edited:
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I received a Recall Notification in mail today! I may call them just to see how long it would take but I didn't buy local. I know how that s*** works and I will not allow a prolonged visit, my local sucks anyway. I checked mine my self and found no evidence of issue!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!