P1000 Recall Work

mx1alex

mx1alex

Feb 11, 2019
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for help on how the recall process works? I picked up a used 2017 P1k5 and want to make sure that all the recalls have been taken care of. I know that the air intake is still the old one. Been playing phone tag with dealer so I don't know what all else it's missing yet.

My question is who pays for what? Does dealer pay for parts and labor or just the parts? Does it matter that I'm the second owner?

Thanks!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only 2 recalls I can think of for your machine.
The throttly body tubing and exhaust shield.
The others are product improvement campaigns. (clutch cover, seat cover)

Just call service and tell them you want to schedule the recalls and applicable Product improvement campaigns.
If they ask about the campaigns, tell them you think the clutch slips a bit going ito 3rd gear, and the heat from the seat is too much to handle in your opinion.

mx1alex

mx1alex

Feb 11, 2019
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only 2 recalls I can think of for your machine.
The throttly body tubing and exhaust shield.
The others are product improvement campaigns. (clutch cover, seat cover)

Just call service and tell them you want to schedule the recalls and applicable Product improvement campaigns.
If they ask about the campaigns, tell them you think the clutch slips a bit going ito 3rd gear, and the heat from the seat is too much to handle in your opinion.

Thank you sir! So I take the with the campaigns they only fix it if the customer complains about something?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thank you sir! So I take the with the campaigns they only fix it if the customer complains about something?
My experience is that they fix it all if you ask them to. I had the upgrades and recalls all performed at the same time, 4 or 5 procedures.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It all depends on the dealer.
My local dealer would only do the campaigns if you were complaining.
Last year i asked about the clutch update. They told me not to worry about it. They would only do it if I had problems.

Well, I had huge problems last ride in Arkansas. I called them from a mountain top and expressed my desire to have the work done.
I made the appt to take it in right then and there. Dropped it off, they had it a few days, called me to come get it.
I hopped in it, still flared/slipped going into odd gears (1/3/5). I turned around and told them to fix it.

Blah blah blah, long story short. They have had my machine since 2/14 because they cannot follow the simple procedures Honda has written out for them.

mx1alex

mx1alex

Feb 11, 2019
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It all depends on the dealer.
My local dealer would only do the campaigns if you were complaining.
Last year i asked about the clutch update. They told me not to worry about it. They would only do it if I had problems.

Well, I had huge problems last ride in Arkansas. I called them from a mountain top and expressed my desire to have the work done.
I made the appt to take it in right then and there. Dropped it off, they had it a few days, called me to come get it.
I hopped in it, still flared/slipped going into odd gears (1/3/5). I turned around and told them to fix it.

Blah blah blah, long story short. They have had my machine since 2/14 because they cannot follow the simple procedures Honda has written out for them.

Ugh! That's an awful situation. I hate the feeling of having to trust a shop that already screwed up once to try and fix something again.

Reactions: Neohio
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ugh! That's an awful situation. I hate the feeling of having to trust a shop that already screwed up once to try and fix something again.
I ended up writing a huge complaint to Honda Powersports to get the ball rolling on WTF happened, and why didn't the dealer follow procedure.

If someone called to make an appointment, while in another state on VACATION.....
Wouldn't you think it would be a good idea to drive their vehicle and verify the clutch slipping?
My dealer didn't do that. They installed the wrong update kit. They should have thrown new clutches in right from the get go due to slipping. I guess that's what happens when the Service Manager thinks you are an idiot.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My question is who pays for what?
They will charge you for the new air intake, everything else was at no charge for me. If you bought that 2017 at your local dealership (as opposed to an individual) they should have performed all upgrades and recalls before putting it back on the line. My dealership I know does that. They also replace any OEM equipment removed by the previous owner. I traded in a 700 and the dealer called me asking for the nets I had removed, they said they’d have to buy them if I couldn’t find them, and I didn’t have them because I had mailed them to another needy member.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!