Talon Red Talon R Ordered on Saturday

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yes, that would be interesting to see.
Should I see any dyno numbers, i will post them for all to see...

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Horsepower at the motor and at the wheels are 2 different things. Would love to see a dyno of the talon and XP1000 to see what they make at the wheels.
I’m honestly thinking either the Talon is underrated or the other makes are a bit over estimated in power by the way the Talon is getting away from much more powerful rigs. I understand dct gets power to the ground better but I surely don’t think it sucks up 20-25 less hp better.
It’s got me wondering if the number wasn’t skewed a bit to showcase the dct some. Be a hard one to prove given most dyno at the tires. Also like to see the differences in power curves. All I know is it seems like the Talon is more potent then I had figured

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m honestly thinking either the Talon is underrated or the other makes are a bit over estimated in power by the way the Talon is getting away from much more powerful rigs. I understand dct gets power to the ground better but I surely don’t think it sucks up 20-25 less hp better.
It’s got me wondering if the number wasn’t skewed a bit to showcase the dct some. Be a hard one to prove given most dyno at the tires. Also like to see the differences in power curves. All I know is it seems like the Talon is more potent then I had figured
YEA! It's a Smitty mobile!

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV

I totally agree with you CP.
Something isn't quite right with the Talons hp rating look how the Pioneer stacks up to Poorlarse General the General with a few extra ponies runs a little better then the Pioneer just like you would expect then there is the Talon it has a few less horse power then a RZR and it is whipping up on it? something smells funny but I LIKE IT!!!

Maybe Honda is sand bagging because they now Polaris will bump up there horse power just to keep there hp king status?

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If your wondering how the talon stacks up... i think this says something. This is from some of the drag race videos going around.

Upload 2019 3 19 7 38 8

C

carlsonjmc

Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This is what I'm thinking..... OH well... I'm still waiting on seat time.. can't wait.
Something isn't quite right with the Talons hp rating look how the Pioneer stacks up to Poorlarse General the General with a few extra ponies runs a little better then the Pioneer just like you would expect then there is the Talon it has a few less horse power then a RZR and it is whipping up on it? something smells funny but I LIKE IT!!!

Maybe Honda is sand bagging because they now Polaris will bump up there horse power just to keep there hp king status?
Torque is pretty high in the Honda’s twins... I can’t wait to see.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I think it’s accurate, DCT is more efficient than CVT. Honda’s are known for torque compared to Yam, Canned Am and Popo. Good delivery of Torque gets you moving and keeps you moving. How a 8000lb diesel 3500 can move 30000+ lbs and keep it moving. HP isn’t all that matters.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think it’s accurate, DCT is more efficient than CVT. Honda’s are known for torque compared to Yam, Canned Am and Popo. Good delivery of Torque gets you moving and keeps you moving. How a 8000lb diesel 3500 can move 30000+ lbs and keep it moving. HP isn’t all that matters.
I don’t know. I agree torque matters hell im a Cummins guy and they have the best ratio at 2.5x.
But first of all I’d expect tq/hp ratio better on Pioneer because it’s a workhorse as opposed to the higher rev more like Africa Twin Sport.
As far as getting the track we’ve seen talon actually beat 120-130hp rigs. The Pioneer (also a twin and also DCT)does great against rigs with roughly same power but once you get close to 100hp it would easily get left behind and that’s the same difference.
Im not saying anything bad by no means but I’m trying to figure out why Talon will smoke something with much more power yet Pioneer won’t. Maybe I don’t always look at things so simple but that 104 seems very potent.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t know. I agree torque matters hell im a Cummins guy and they have the best ratio at 2.5x.
But first of all I’d expect tq/hp ratio better on Pioneer because it’s a workhorse as opposed to the higher rev more like Africa Twin Sport.
As far as getting the track we’ve seen talon actually beat 120-130hp rigs. The Pioneer (also a twin and also DCT)does great against rigs with roughly same power but once you get close to 100hp it would easily get left behind and that’s the same difference.
Im not saying anything bad by no means but I’m trying to figure out why Talon will smoke something with much more power yet Pioneer won’t. Maybe I don’t always look at things so simple but that 104 seems very potent.

I know that how a CVT works it allows a lower power motor to bring the most power at the lowest speed, BUT the motor has to rev to its power range first. CVT is most efficient use of MAXIMUM power output for a motor. Therefore motor life is shorter and the inherent weakness in the CVT is the belt since it is exposed to the outside environment.

The DCT has the more efficient transfer of the available power at any given speed but revs can’t change like a CVT can do you have to be in the correct gear. DCT is more efficient use of AVAILABLE power output for a motor. Motor life is maximized. Reliability/Life of DCT should be greater than a true manual but less than a true auto and efficiency is better than both.

Different technologies have different uses/strengths. For what the Pioneer 1000/Talon is DESIGNED....read that carefully again CP....DESIGNED.... to do the DCT seems like it is the better technology. The way I ride my 68” Wide Pioneer 1000 I think I’ll be more than happy with a fairly stock Talon R.

Can’t argue in detail I don’t know enough about the actual operation of a Polaris CVT to discuss it in depth. Snuff is probably the most knowledgeable person across the brands outside of a career powersports tech I know.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I know that how a CVT works it allows a lower power motor to bring the most power at the lowest speed, BUT the motor has to rev to its power range first. CVT is most efficient use of MAXIMUM power output for a motor. Therefore motor life is shorter and the inherent weakness in the CVT is the belt since it is exposed to the outside environment.

The DCT has the more efficient transfer of the available power at any given speed but revs can’t change like a CVT can do you have to be in the correct gear. DCT is more efficient use of AVAILABLE power output for a motor. Motor life is maximized. Reliability/Life of DCT should be greater than a true manual but less than a true auto and efficiency is better than both.

Different technologies have different uses/strengths. For what the Pioneer 1000/Talon is DESIGNED....read that carefully again CP....DESIGNED.... to do the DCT seems like it is the better technology. The way I ride my 68” Wide Pioneer 1000 I think I’ll be more than happy with a fairly stock Talon R.

Can’t argue in detail I don’t know enough about the actual operation of a Polaris CVT to discuss it in depth. Snuff is probably the most knowledgeable person across the brands outside of a career powersports tech I know.
I’ll be happy with an X definitely, want the narrower as my Pioneer is pretty wide where we go already at 63 so not looking forward to even an inch but it’ll be an awesome woods machine especially considering it’s a sport! Love what I’m seeing so far!
All the dct and cvt talk doesn’t mean a whole lot too me because I was basing the Pioneer against others and the Talon against others, and just seeing the talon walk compared to the pioneer. I understand dct for sure. Been in there a couple times, ya I get it lol.
Not trying to blow up anyone’s skirts. I like the machine and am probably going to get one so I’m definitely not saying it running hard is a negative! Just saying it’s either sandbagged a bit or they really found something else. Just curious is all. Either way it’s very impressive to me so far. Admittedly more so then I had originally thought. Very excited

Last edited:
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Theres alot more to drag racing than just h.p. weight,traction, gears, and on and on. I've watched a ton of videos of hellcats and demons getting beat in the 1/4 by lesser h.p. cars.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!