H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Been doing some testing with my Pioneer 1000 with Fox shocks and my Yamaha YXZ. My Yamaha has 17 inches of wheel travel. I need the 20 inches of travel for my fast paced rides especially with my Turbo buddies even though we keep the speed under 50 mph. My YXZ shift light is set at 7,000 rpm so when it comes on in 4th gear I'm doing 50. I use 4th on the fast sand wash sections and to get up to speed fast I run up to 10,000 rpm in 3rd. In 3rd its 40 mph at 7,000 and in 5th its 62. With the long travel its hard to keep it under 50 plus I want the best ride I can get. The narrow Can Am Turbos also have 20 inches of travel. My Pioneer has no problem running fast and I use 5th and 6th gear a lot in the sand washes. I have to slow down too much to avoid bottoming out the suspension and that makes it impossible to keep up with the guys so I'm usually in the back closing all the gates which sucks. My Pioneer works great towing out the broken belt drive side by sides and the Talon will work great too. 4WD in low range and I usually keep the speed around 10 to 15 mph for safety and so the guys don't die in the dust.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
It will be great to hear what you think of the Talon under the conditions described, including any thoughts by those other riders in the group....

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
wrighteous

wrighteous

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2014
I have a red Talon 1000R ordered as well, I had a Pioneer ordered in 2014 but ended up buying another house down the road that went to foreclosure. It will be my first SXS!
A far cry from the Honda FL350 I had a few years back!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Damit...
We need a support group to stop me from going to a dealership this spring.
Please help.
Your right.
I should bring the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Damit...
We need a support group to stop me from going to a dealership this spring.
Please help.
Your right.
I should bring the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Make it HondaSxS, Inc. and then that new Talon becomes a business expense, right? The IRS is furloughed because of the government shutdown so that tax return shouldn't get audited anyway.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Make it HondaSxS, Inc. and then that new Talon becomes a business expense, right? The IRS is furloughed because of the government shutdown so that tax return shouldn't get audited anyway.
You should be a lawyer or a politician;)

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
5A01F365 D44F 4ADE 8B49 5D4B4DCB1CB8
I mean... how are you going to overland?
With a custom bed extender and efficient packing it should be doable.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Been doing some testing with my Pioneer 1000 with Fox shocks and my Yamaha YXZ. My Yamaha has 17 inches of wheel travel. I need the 20 inches of travel for my fast paced rides especially with my Turbo buddies even though we keep the speed under 50 mph. My YXZ shift light is set at 7,000 rpm so when it comes on in 4th gear I'm doing 50. I use 4th on the fast sand wash sections and to get up to speed fast I run up to 10,000 rpm in 3rd. In 3rd its 40 mph at 7,000 and in 5th its 62. With the long travel its hard to keep it under 50 plus I want the best ride I can get. The narrow Can Am Turbos also have 20 inches of travel. My Pioneer has no problem running fast and I use 5th and 6th gear a lot in the sand washes. I have to slow down too much to avoid bottoming out the suspension and that makes it impossible to keep up with the guys so I'm usually in the back closing all the gates which sucks. My Pioneer works great towing out the broken belt drive side by sides and the Talon will work great too. 4WD in low range and I usually keep the speed around 10 to 15 mph for safety and so the guys don't die in the dust.

I'm having the same problem we kept getting left in the woods the suspension just can't keep up, how are the fox shocks doing? We plan on doing Fox's and see if that helps the hunting woods has deep sharp ruts that run the width of the road and we bottom out at 15mph. The first night out we hit one at speed my soundbar kept me in the cab i whacked my head on it now we keep getting left behind last time was NYE at 4am all the trails looked the same.

Reactions: sharp and JACKAL
C

carlsonjmc

Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm having the same problem we kept getting left in the woods the suspension just can't keep up, how are the fox shocks doing? We plan on doing Fox's and see if that helps the hunting woods has deep sharp ruts that run the width of the road and we bottom out at 15mph. The first night out we hit one at speed my soundbar kept me in the cab i whacked my head on it now we keep getting left behind last time was NYE at 4am all the trails looked the same.
I put Walker Evans shocks on my p1k-5, it’s like a complete new machine. My friend did the Fox shocks on the front only and it also eliminated the Bottoming out of on the front. The best way to explain Walker Evans is the ride is softer yet more firm when compressed, more stable and less understeer when cornering on slippery conditions.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!