REPLACE YOUR CAM SPROCKET BOLTS

MtsHaVoC

MtsHaVoC

Apr 26, 2021
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Maybe it was just bad luck on my part, but recently I changed the Camshaft in my 2020 Talon FLV. Following the service manual to the “T” I retorqued the bolts to 15ftlbs and applied red Loc-tite. I made it 4.1 miles before both bolts let go. I’m not sure how it didn’t destroy a valve or piston. Or how the bolts didn’t get into the DTC side of the case, but it didn’t. Nothing in the manual states that these are one time use only bolts or torque to yields. So just to share a bit of information, IF YOU CHANGE YOUR CAM REPLACE THE SPROCKET BOLTS AS WELL.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Maybe it was just bad luck on my part, but recently I changed the Camshaft in my 2020 Talon FLV. Following the service manual to the “T” I retorqued the bolts to 15ftlbs and applied red Loc-tite. I made it 4.1 miles before both bolts let go. I’m not sure how it didn’t destroy a valve or piston. Or how the bolts didn’t get into the DTC side of the case, but it didn’t. Nothing in the manual states that these are one time use only bolts or torque to yields. So just to share a bit of information, IF YOU CHANGE YOUR CAM REPLACE THE SPROCKET BOLTS AS WELL.
Pics?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Here are the pictures

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've re-shimmed 3 machines (which requires the removal of the cam gear) and not a problem with any of them.

If you used a pound type torque wrench, maybe you over torqued them. Personally, I do not trust a pound torque wrench an that low of torque so I always use an inch wrench and multiply by 12 (180 in-lb).

MtsHaVoC

MtsHaVoC

Apr 26, 2021
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I've re-shimmed 3 machines (which requires the removal of the cam gear) and not a problem with any of them.

If you used a pound type torque wrench, maybe you over torqued them. Personally, I do not trust a pound torque wrench an that low of torque so I always use an inch wrench and multiply by 12 (180 in-lb).
I’ve never had to remove the cam sprocket to remove the cam or reshim the intake buckets but you could be correct. I do use inch pounds for anything under 20 ftlbs

ACD9848E D34F 413B A578 0B9F73A3CB1F

MtsHaVoC

MtsHaVoC

Apr 26, 2021
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Are the bolts supposed to have loctite on them? 'cause your supposed to reduce the torque spec when using loctite IF it's not included in the spec. I forget the percentage, but Google is your friend.

What isn't your friend is Honda bolts. They are s***, so don't tempt them.

MtsHaVoC

MtsHaVoC

Apr 26, 2021
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Are the bolts supposed to have loctite on them? 'cause your supposed to reduce the torque spec when using loctite IF it's not included in the spec. I forget the percentage, but Google is your friend.

What isn't your friend is Honda bolts. They are s***, so don't tempt them.
Service manual calls for thread locker and 15ftlbs. This thread wasn’t to start a controversy over technics just something to consider if you remove your cam sprocket off your camshaft.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’ve never had to remove the cam sprocket to remove the cam or reshim the intake buckets but you could be correct. I do use inch pounds for anything under 20 ftlbs
I retract my post. Now that I think about it, I also did NOT remove the cam gear to shim the buckets on the 3 Talon I have done. I must have been thinking about some other motor.

Carry on!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Service manual calls for thread locker and 15ftlbs. This thread wasn’t to start a controversy over technics just something to consider if you remove your cam sprocket off your camshaft.
There is no controversy as far as I'm aware.

How big are these bolts? 15 ftlb sounds like a lot. This wouldn't be the 1st time Honda has a torque spec that breaks the bolts. The oil filter cover on the 500 is a great example.

MtsHaVoC

MtsHaVoC

Apr 26, 2021
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Sorry DG,( for wrong name used above been a very long day not to mention weekend) bolts are 7mm. It’s not really a controversy (bad choice of words). It was to make people aware that IMO if you remove your cam sprocket change the bolts. At $2.95 per bolt it’s a lot cheaper than taking a chance you face the same issue I had with a much worse outcome. I still have no idea how it didn’t destroy the valves at the least.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I also don't recall taking mine off to get the cam out. Seems after I removed the cam chain tensioner I was able to work it out of a 2016 model.

Idk..
Sorry this happened.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reminds me working on a Jet Ski, racing engine. One head bolt stripped the aluminum female threads while torquing, then a second one. Okay, we have a problem here. Checked torque wrench, it was an early Craftsman "click type". Way out of spec!

• Wow
Reactions: CID and Dankathy
MtsHaVoC

MtsHaVoC

Apr 26, 2021
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
It just scary how $6 In bolts could cost hundreds or more. Luckily it just cost me time and a $100 head gasket

Reactions: CID and Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!