P1000 Reset the DCT Clutch / Clutch Initialize Learning Procedure Pioneer 1000 / Talon 1000

J

jamday

Apr 22, 2016
GA
I hate to say this but it's starting to sound like a dealer is in your future.
Yes, it will probably spend the holiday season outside in the cold, awaiting some professional help.

Reactions: Biteme
Mattdean

Mattdean

Aug 18, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay I replaced the clutches in mine, and it's not showing on my screen that I need to do the clutch reset, the screen is normal, but the bike acts like it needs the reset, i tried doing the reset last night and nothing was happening

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Okay I replaced the clutches in mine, and it's not showing on my screen that I need to do the clutch reset, the screen is normal, but the bike acts like it needs the reset, i tried doing the reset last night and nothing was happening
You have to follow the process exactly as in my first post.

Oil temp must be correct, too cold won't work. Fan running wont work
You mess around go too slow won't work. You gotta go through the steps like you have it memorized, it will not work with delays.

That's the top 3 things people do wrong, that the DCT doesn't initialize.

Jonnny53

Jonnny53

Mar 28, 2016
Southeastern, Indiana
I have about 1500 miles on my machine, I've never noticed any clutch slipage, however I drove my friends brand new 1000 last week. His shifts noticeably harder and has more "snap" of the throttle than mine does.

Is the clutch reset procedure something that I should do periodically? or is my transmission/clutch just wearing in?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have about 1500 miles on my machine, I've never noticed any clutch slipage, however I drove my friends brand new 1000 last week. His shifts noticeably harder and has more "snap" of the throttle than mine does.

Is the clutch reset procedure something that I should do periodically? or is my transmission/clutch just wearing in?
Not necessarily, a new machine is not broken-in yet and it learns to shift somewhat based on how it's driven. Don't fall into a pattern of fixing things until it's broken .

Reactions: Biteme and pct
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I did a reset on mine last weekend and it was better after doing it. I did have it apart for the IGR and did the takeover before the reset. I noticed even before taking it apart it kind of wanted to still pull when rolling down a hill trying to stop. When cold in gear it wanted to pull a little sometimes. Only rode for about 30 min this weekend after doing it but no pulling, seems to be smoother taking off and the shifting felt crisper and timed better. Only have a couple hundred pretty hard miles.

C

Charles1111

May 3, 2019
Jesup ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda Pioneer 1000 Clutch Initialize Learning Procedure

Before starting this procedure, check the following:
· PGM-FI system & DTC system have no codes
· Engine speed idle is normal
· Sub-transmission in in “P” (parking) and cooling fan stops.

1. Warm up the engine to the normal operating temperature 122-230 degrees F
    NOTE:
    - If the PCM is replaced with a new one, when the ignition switch is turned on the “MT” indicator [1] and the “AT” indicator [2] will be displayed to indicate that the clutch initialization learning procedure is necessary.
    - If the large “U” (extremely low oil temperature indicator) or the small “U” (low oil temperature indicator) is displayed on the gear position indicator [3] the engine must be warmed before proceeding.
    View attachment 11284

2. Turn the ignition switch ON (l). The MIL [1] will come on. Wait until the MIL goes off and the gear position indicator [2] displays “P”.
    NOTE: Do not turn ignition switch to START (ll), If the motor is running the learning process will be cancelled.

3. Depress the accelerator pedal fully.
  4. Release the accelerator pedal.
  5. Depress the accelerator pedal fully.
  6. Release the accelerator pedal.
  7. Depress the acceleration pedal fully AND HOLD IT!

8. Move the shift select lever to “L” (low range) position. Check that the gear position indicator [1] displays “L”.
  9. Move the shift select lever to “P” (parking) position. Check that the gear position indicator [1] displays “P”.
  10. Move the shift select lever to “L” (low range) position. Check that the gear position indicator displays “L”.
  11. Move the shift select lever to “P” (parking) position. Check that the gear position indicator displays “P”.
  12. Release the accelerator pedal. Check that “-“ is displayed on the gear position indicator [1] and blinks at an interval of 2 seconds, and both the “MT” [2] and the “AT” [3] indicator are displayed in the bottom center of the digital gauge.

View attachment 11287 View attachment 11285

NOTE:
    - The PCM is ready to clutch initialize learning when the “-“ is displayed and starts blinking at an interval of 2 seconds.
    - The PCM did not accept to start clutch initialize learning if the gear position indicator continues to display “P”. Perform the initialize learning procedure from step 1 again.

13. Start the engine and let idle for approximately 60 seconds. The clutch initialize learning is successful when the “-“ on the gear position indicator [1], “MT” indicator [2], and “AT” indicator [3] disappear.
    View attachment 11286
  14. Stop the engine.
  15. Turn the ignition switch on. Check that the gear position indicator displays “P” and either the “MT” or the “AT” indicator comes on.

NOTE:
· If the “-“ starts blinking at an interval of ½ second, the clutch learning is unsuccessful. Perform the process again starting at Step 1.

· If the large “U” (extremely low oil temperature) or the small “u” (low oil temperature) is displayed on the gear position indicator, warm up the engine until the “L” on the gear position indicator goes off. Stop the engine and perform the procedure from Step 2 again.

· If both the “MT” & “AT” indicator are displayed, the clutch initialize learning is not complete.
Can’t get mine to relearn

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just did the relearn just for the heck of it... It really smoothed up the shifts! I may do it every few months or so now... Thanks for this!

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have determined that my 1/3/5 clutch pack is going bad and I have a new one on order.

In the meantime, my display shows MT and AT at all times, and I have run the initialization procedure about a dozen times with no success. It always ends up flashing every half second after I go thru it, and MT/AT are always lit.

Can an initialization procedure ever be successful if you need to replace a clutch pack? Are my issues all related, or is there something else going on?

J

JSHEB

Jun 23, 2020
NE Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for this post!

I did the relearn on my 2020 1K5 at 330 miles and it really did smooth up the shifting. Very happy with the results...

I wanted to share because I had problems initially like many had said getting the process started, realized I was doing the L,P,L,P shift to fast and the gear indicator was not registering the "L" it would stay at "-" for one the shift sequences before I really started paying attention. Once I figured this out worked great!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
There's a little more information with video here -

Reactions: JSHEB
J

JSHEB

Jun 23, 2020
NE Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's a little more information with video here -
Thank you!

Reactions: CID
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have determined that my 1/3/5 clutch pack is going bad and I have a new one on order.

In the meantime, my display shows MT and AT at all times, and I have run the initialization procedure about a dozen times with no success. It always ends up flashing every half second after I go thru it, and MT/AT are always lit.

Can an initialization procedure ever be successful if you need to replace a clutch pack? Are my issues all related, or is there something else going on?
Quoting myself to answer my own question for the benefit of others reading this thread:

I did replace the 1/3/5 clutch pack shortly after asking this. The answer is, no, I was never able to get the initialization procedure to work while that clutch pack was in there.

After installing the new clutch pack, I was able to initialize the first time I tried. The display stopped showing AT and MT, and worked correctly going forward.

I guess that's the machine's way of telling you nothing's going to be good until you replace that clutch pack.

Last edited:
S

Snakerbaker

Aug 24, 2021
Yulee Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So after trying over 15 times fast slow driving around then trying again but the AT/MT lights stay on. This all stemmed over a one mile run then dead battery jumped with a jumper box then limping back home 50 amp fuse was blown replaced battery and fuse still shifting bad and can’t get those lights to remove. Is there any other problems that would cause those lights to stay on even after the relearn process tried without success. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Snakerbaker at least initially, it doesn't sound like your problem is related to a bad clutch pack. To get the best help, start your own thread with details of your problem, include year/model. Give us more info about when or how your battery died and about the blown fuse.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
S

Snakerbaker

Aug 24, 2021
Yulee Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok thanks, I’m new to this thread stuff. Just a quick note. I drove about a mile to our boat ramp after turning off my radio it turns back on itself and has been and killed my battery while parked for a week now back to the ramp it was dead jumped it with a jump box it made it back home shifting crazy -now I know low voltage— the next day I found the 50 amp fuse blown { one from o’rallys fits Advanced one is too long check before buying} now it goes through the relearn but the AT/MT lights never go out and it won’t hardly shift. Any help would be great. Thanks

Reactions: Smitty335
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, I now see that you did, in fact, already have your own thread about this. I'll put my response over there...

Reactions: CID
S

Snakerbaker

Aug 24, 2021
Yulee Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also can not get the AT/MT to go away. I’ve done the relearn at least 20 times every way I could think of. The relearn process works every time. The slow - always goes to P afterwards but the MT/AT lights stay one. I (2016 1000-5) had a dead battery jumped it with jumper box drove it about a mile with the transmission acting crazy. The next day I saw it had blown the 50 amp fuse’ I replaced that and installed a new battery from dealer 160$ and all this started it ran great before the dead battery. My question is there a problem with the machine that I did driving it back home that won’t let it relearn. The transmission is still running bad it takes a lot of gas to get it moving and doesn’t shift right. Any ideas would help. Thanks

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Snakerbaker - If you have a burned clutch pack, the first one to go is usually the one that runs the 1-3-5 forward gears.

So if your machine takes a lot of gas to get going, that could be first gear slippage. If it shifts relatively normal into 2nd, then the motor revs high again going into third, (4th gear normal, 5th gear revs again) then you may be looking at the first clutch pack needing replacement. Is this the case?

Reactions: TripleB and Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!