P1000 Reverse lights wiring

S

Sledneck_06

Nov 12, 2018
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ok guys wanted reverse lights on 3 way switch on off on. All the way up is basic hot to the rear lights. Then off middle. Then down/on while headlights are on and shifted into reverse rear lights come on. So I wired relay to this #85 headlight trigger #86 reverse trigger. #30 fused power. And last #87 power out. All worked great till machine wouldn’t start. I’m thinking my reverse switch being a ground switch is messing with it. Possibly backfeeding. Because gear indicator is confused. Can I get a diode and plum that in between relay and reverse trigger? Or is there a way to wire it correctly? Thanks in advance

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
S

Sledneck_06

Nov 12, 2018
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a good write up I found but used the factory reverse backup auxiliary wiring. Not sure if it was ever completed though as everything wiring worked but now machine wouldn’t start?

Reactions: sharp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Your most likley right about the ground feedback. I bet it will crank if you put it in R and press the brakes? Check and let me know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Unless you are running a large light bar or wanted key off light you could have done this.

You found the backup beeper plug blank, right? Is this where you got the ground trigger?
Located under the bed area?

Ok.
Run the ground trigger wire up to the switch. Then flip it with the switch as a input. Have another solid ground as a input. Then run the output to the light as ground.
DONE.
No need to mess with 12v or a relay at all.

You can get 12v from 2 places. The white/black stripe wire in the beeper plug. Its key ON!

Or
For headlight only. Pull 12v from the tail lights. Ensure your not tapping brake lights.

Both can handle a small light bar or a set of cubes.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimG and sharp
S

Sledneck_06

Nov 12, 2018
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I just tapped the grey wire under seat for reverse trigger. I already disconnected the reverse trigger for now as I need to use the machine tomorrow. When I did that the gear display worked again and fired right up. And instead of using the factory reverse I just ran my own 2 wires to the front. Would a diode work in this situation?

S

Sledneck_06

Nov 12, 2018
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also I only want reverse lights to come on when headlights are on.

S

Sledneck_06

Nov 12, 2018
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So power from taillights and reverse trigger as solenoid trigger won’t still backfeed my reverse switch?

advertisement
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I added a diode to mine.

Here's a photo of my test harness. Ground from the machine into the blocking side of the diode and ground from the dash into the light side of the diode.

IMG 20181125 125127

Here's the full description from my build thread:

Finished up my switched ground for reverse lights in reverse and with the dash switch. I found that using chassis ground through the switch and to the lights caused a back feed to the transmission ground signal which kicked the transmission out of gear. To eliminate the backfeed, I added a diode before my dash mounted switched ground. I found a mini fuse sized diode AC Delco 96500202 which is a GM fog light diode and it fits in a little fuse mini fuse holder Littlefuse p/n 0fhm0001xp. This allows the machine to provide ground through the diode but does not allow ground back from the lights and switch when the dash switch is on. Double check the mounting orientation such that it is blocking ground the correct direction. The marking on the diode looks like a vertical line with an arrow pointing towards the line. The arrow should point away from the lights and added ground

Updated switch panel
Img 20181125 132756 jpg

I missed the part about the headlights. Just a diode won't fix your problem completely

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ok guys wanted reverse lights on 3 way switch on off on. All the way up is basic hot to the rear lights. Then off middle. Then down/on while headlights are on and shifted into reverse rear lights come on. So I wired relay to this #85 headlight trigger #86 reverse trigger. #30 fused power. And last #87 power out. All worked great till machine wouldn’t start. I’m thinking my reverse switch being a ground switch is messing with it. Possibly backfeeding. Because gear indicator is confused. Can I get a diode and plum that in between relay and reverse trigger? Or is there a way to wire it correctly? Thanks in advance
Way above my head but following for an answer because I like this set up o_O
LOL ..... yeah, lost me a 'diode'!

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LOL ..... yeah, lost me a 'diode'!

The fundamental property of a diode is its tendency to conduct electric current in only one direction. That's what we are trying to do. We have 2 ground sources and the transmission source can not be back fed by the dash switch. By blocking the dash switch ground the transmission doesn't see the ground signal and the lights work.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I tried this same 3-way switch set up but I failed. My small electrical brain hurt a lot. I just stuck with the reverse lights only in reverse. I haven't felt the need to revisit. I thought it would be cool to be able to manually switch on the reverse lights for added lighting to my 180 but the tray lights were enough. I am less stressed.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried this same 3-way switch set up but I failed. My small electrical brain hurt a lot. I just stuck with the reverse lights only in reverse. I haven't felt the need to revisit. I thought it would be cool to be able to manually switch on the reverse lights for added lighting to my 180 but the tray lights were enough. I am less stressed.
I went even more simple than that. I attacked 2 LEDs to the rear and ran them to a switch I turn on when backing or just needing a rear light ..... lol

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went even more simple than that. I attacked 2 LEDs to the rear and ran them to a switch I turn on when backing or just needing a rear light ..... lol

I'd rather have it being a process with no thought. People I ride with like that the lights come on automatically because it tells them I'm backing up.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!