BOX1

P1000 Reverse to high

A

AZ123

Sep 12, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took the new Honda pioneer 1000–5 LE out on its first hunting mission for six days straight. The machine performed excellent except in one condition where in rocky terrain we were going downhill and had to stop and back up and the machine would not back up over the rocks even with the pedal to the metal would not spin a tire.Had to have passenger get out and push and the machine did finally have enough power to back up. Overall I am very pleased with the machine as the owners of Polaris four seat hunting machine owners Seem to always want to ride in the Honda due to type trails and difficulty of train and less dust in cab.
I did Put insulation under the seat and cab areas to reduce heat coming up from the motor
So over suggestion would be Honda should Insulate areas producing heat in the cab and possibly have a lower gear in reverse or a switch for high and low in reverse

Reactions: TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Took the new Honda pioneer 1000–5 LE out on its first hunting mission for six days straight. The machine performed excellent except in one condition where in rocky terrain we were going downhill and had to stop and back up and the machine would not back up over the rocks even with the pedal to the metal would not spin a tire.Had to have passenger get out and push and the machine did finally have enough power to back up. Overall I am very pleased with the machine as the owners of Polaris four seat hunting machine owners Seem to always want to ride in the Honda due to type trails and difficulty of train and less dust in cab.
I did Put insulation under the seat and cab areas to reduce heat coming up from the motor
So over suggestion would be Honda should Insulate areas producing heat in the cab and possibly have a lower gear in reverse or a switch for high and low in reverse
You will run into the same thing going forward in the right places. U have to make a little space between u and the obstacle and hammer down to get the tires turning to get it to go. I wish the low range was lower along with reverse. That's my only complaint about the machine but 99% it's all good.

R

rickoshea

is this an le specific problem? i had not issue at all pulling my docks out in reverse with my deluxe.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No it’s the deluxe too. Reverse is way too high and you will smoke your clutch fairly easy doing what you did. Don’t ask how I know :(

not with the Clutch update and not on an LE they all had it from factory.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ya know...someday I'm gonna trade in the glorified rancher for a bigger machine. Probably a Honda. I've had a 700...and it'd be fine where I mostly ride now, but of course, the 1000 is always on my mind.

And then I see stuff like this, and think wtf is the point of spending more money for the same issues, plus maybe more? I'm not convinced the 1000 has an adequate cooling system either.
The 700 is the red-headed stepchild these days, but I know it will get me where I'm going.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
not with the Clutch update and not on an LE they all had it from factory.

Mine has the clutch update and still smoked the clutch in reverse but was my fault. No more trying to back out of a mud hole

Reactions: DG Rider
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine has the clutch update and still smoked the clutch in reverse but was my fault. No more trying to back out of a mud hole
With the update it’s not possible without overheating the engine, that takes SEVERAL mins of continuous abuse. Your clutch should have been replaced during the update if you managed that, it was already gone.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With the update it’s not possible without overheating the engine, that takes SEVERAL mins of continuous abuse. Your clutch should have been replaced during the update if you managed that, it was already gone.

My machine is on the 3rd set of clutches. Original ones went out and they did the update and replaced them. That all was done by previous owner. I smoked the next set in a mud hole and didn't overheat the engine. When it was replaced I noticed how much better it was than when I bought it so I believe the clutches were already damaged. Either way I avoid reverse where possible

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Are you running super large tires or something? I mean...is it really a lot to ask of an off road machine to back out of a mudhole?

Reactions: Mudwing
A

AZ123

Sep 12, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My machine is on the 3rd set of clutches. Original ones went out and they did the update and replaced them. That all was done by previous owner. I smoked the next set in a mud hole and didn't overheat the engine. When it was replaced I noticed how much better it was than when I bought it so I believe the clutches were already damaged. Either way I avoid reverse where possible
Just to be fair here is picture of the stock ride with accessories with two guys in it

235DFDE2 66A4 4415 8EEE AAB8A3CBCB6C

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you running super large tires or something? I mean...is it really a lot to ask of an off road machine to back out of a mudhole?

I run 32” OutBack max so yeah they are very aggressive and we don’t play in little mud holes. I totally understand it’s my fault but if reverse wasn’t geared so high it wouldn’t be an issue. Also when I smoked mine I should have gave up and winched out but I was sure I could make it out, and I did it just cost me a set of clutches.
Everyone recommends IGR when running wheels like I have so again it’s my fault

3855EA94 5D91 4656 A124 047F70766581 55AE3C73 4D31 4CD9 B4F1 133B668196F4

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I run 32” OutBack max so yeah they are very aggressive and we don’t play in little mud holes. I totally understand it’s my fault but if reverse wasn’t geared so high it wouldn’t be an issue. Also when I smoked mine I should have gave up and winched out but I was sure I could make it out, and I did it just cost me a set of clutches.
Everyone recommends IGR when running wheels like I have so again it’s my fault

View attachment 167183 View attachment 167184
Yeah...with that set up it's somewhat excusable I guess.

Reactions: Isaiah and Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!