BOX1

Review - Andy McCoy High Clearance Radius Rod - NOT Good!

PaulF

Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

Talon R
I have never posted a negative review before, even if I have problems with a product or service because I have always been able to work it out with the seller or service provider (I am very patient). I had a small issue with this same company with the Quick Release Sway Bar Links but they promptly sent me updated hardware. Even after that experience, I still recommended the links and several have purchased them from my recommendation.

However, I must post my horrible and expensive experience with their radius rods. These rods give the most ground clearance that I have seen and are built tough but that is where it ends...
  1. The design uses heim joints and allows the rods to rotate forward and back. While this does not impede the function, it is strange. You can mitigate it a little by offsetting the center position of the inner and outer joints so they don't pivot too much and still allow for full and proper movement.
  2. The heim joints squeak like hell and I HATE squeaks and rattles.
  3. Only have about 250 miles on them and the heim joints are already loose. My stock rods with over 2,500 miles are still tight as new.
  4. But the worse part is that the arch design on the upper rods is so high and they didn't design enough clearance that if you drive aggressively, the upper rod will hit the exhaust and ruin your muffler.
I tried to work it out with them but they told me to take it to a local shop (not sure how that would help a poorly designed part) and would only refer to their (basically useless) 15 day "Return Policy" and "Terms and Conditions" (which states ZERO fitment guarantee and that if you bought it, you keep it). Their customer service is HORRIBLE to say the least. Because they will not stand behind their poorly designed product, I do not recommend this product.

I will have to put my stock upper rods back on for now until I decide which of the other rods will be better. It is a shame, these rods offer the most rear clearance. They should have made the top rod straight like most of the other...

20200710_124037.jpg

Upper left rod is hitting the hot exhaust so hard (and so often) that the paint is melted and rubbed away down to the metal...

20200914_153657.jpg

And it dented the hell out of my pipe (pic is deceiving, that is dented in over 1/2 inch). Need a new muffler to correct this...

20200914_153708.jpg

box4

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

Talon R
I was looking at your picture and thinking 'could the top rod be straight and still work' even before reading your post. I decided that 'sure it could' but it wouldn't look as symmetrical as with both bent the same amount.

That said (and completely irrelevant ☺), that they wouldn't be jumping all over themselves trying to make this right, is a REALLY BAD business model. That there is contact with the exhaust is simply a very basic design flaw and unacceptable (duh :rolleyes:). Sorry to hear that they aren't stepping up to a solution and are using the lame 15 day return policy. :mad: Thankfully, we now have the internet to pass this information on to others.

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

Other Brand,
Talon R
Damn, that sucks but thanks for sharing this, Paul. I definitely purchased their Quick Release Sway bar kit based on your recommendation. I think the function of that kit is great, the only minor complaint I have is the powder coating was a little sloppy.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how the upper rods being arched is a benefit since it doesn't affect ground clearance.

Early on I went with the L&W Fab radius arms and I also initially thought the heim joint design was weird. But I've put over a thousand miles on that set up and have not experienced any squeaks and the joints are still very tight. I realize this information doesn't help your current situation but if you are somehow able to get refunded I wholeheartedly recommend the L&W radius rods/arms. I believe they offer a lifetime warranty on the non wearing parts.

PaulF

Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

Talon R
That said (and completely irrelevant ☺), that they wouldn't be jumping all over themselves trying to make this right, is a REALLY BAD business model.
A few lost sales will cost them much more than making it right with me, not sure what they are thinking. Customer service is EVERYTHING now because of the internet. I realize there are some people you simply can't make happy but I am not one of them. This is honestly the first bad review I have ever done. I am pissed as hell!

Damn, that sucks but thanks for sharing this, Paul. I definitely purchased their Quick Release Sway bar kit based on your recommendation. I think the function of that kit is great, the only minor complaint I have is the powder coating was a little sloppy.
I cannot comment on the powder coating. They only offered white and I didn't want that so I bought mine raw and painted them silver to match the stock suspension parts.
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how the upper rods being arched is a benefit since it doesn't affect ground clearance.
No benefit whatsoever, they do it that way only for looks. I will install the stock upper rods and see how odd it looks and post a pic.
Early on I went with the L&W Fab radius arms and I also initially thought the heim joint design was weird. But I've put over a thousand miles on that set up and have not experienced any squeaks and the joints are still very tight. I realize this information doesn't help your current situation but if you are somehow able to get refunded I wholeheartedly recommend the L&W radius rods/arms. I believe they offer a lifetime warranty on the non wearing parts.
Although there is no chance for any type of refund (I gave them ample opportunities to make it right before I posted this), this does help a lot...
  • It solidifies my belief that Andy McCoy used inferior heim joints.
  • It helps me and others compare products and make informed decisions.
  • I will highly consider the L&W rods. I have their from high clearance arms and they are exceptional pieces.

Reactions: CID and Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

Other Brand,
Talon R
  • this does help a lot...
  • It helps me and others compare products and make informed decisions.
  • I will highly consider the L&W rods. I have their from high clearance arms and they are exceptional pieces.

Only posting these here for comparison/reference, if it seems highjackish, let me know and I'll delete...

It looks like we're using the same "Shear Stopper" brackets, so I can confirm fitment with the L&W Fab arms. I first tried the Bosman brackets and they don't work with the L&W arms.

IMG_20200814_123955073_HDR-X2.jpg

This was a gif I sent to @CID some time ago just to illustrate the heim movement. It required a strong grip and effort to get it to move.

IMG_20200204_101657_exported_4861842417678428631-L.gif

The lower arm does not hit the hub when fully rotated inwards.

00lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200204101622443_COVER-X2.jpg

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!