BOX1

Review - Andy McCoy High Clearance Radius Rod - NOT Good!

J

JeffDavis

Sep 11, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Talon X
YAY, another member from the once great state of Colorado. 👍 What city? Will you be making these for the Talon R? 🤔 Have you signed up for a vendorship here?

I am near Canon City.

I have a bunch of rods cut and bent up for the R but I have decided not to pursue building/selling the rods. I only advertise and sale on thr Facebook groups. L&W, CA and SATV have a cult following and anything that is outside the box is shunned. Don't get me wrong, those aluminum rods look great but think of pipe wrenches; a cast iron pipe wrench is twice the cost of an aluminum one because it is twice as strong. Everyone is convinced that the aluminum rods are far superior. They just are not. And just about any backwoods farmer can weld steel at some capacity if my rods were to fail. A whole lot of welding shop have a hard time welding aluminum even when they have the correct equipment. But I digress, I may have another run of X and R rods soon but as of now I have two full sets of upper/lower X rods powder coated black. Once those are gone, that may be all of them that I do.

Mostly, I have a full time job that pays well. These rods are just a little side gig that I really do not make a lot of money on these since the rod ends, bushings, spacer and tubing take up a lot of the "profit".

Reactions: Blownzuki and CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I agree with you on the billet aluminum radius rods. Not a fan of those, one wrong hit and it becomes 2 pieces.

Straight 7075 radius rods are a different animal. Way stronger than stock and will rebound to a certain extent if they take a hit. Only negative is that they are not high clearance.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am near Canon City.

I have a bunch of rods cut and bent up for the R but I have decided not to pursue building/selling the rods. I only advertise and sale on the Facebook groups. L&W, CA and SATV have a cult following and anything that is outside the box is shunned. Don't get me wrong, those aluminum rods look great but think of pipe wrenches; a cast iron pipe wrench is twice the cost of an aluminum one because it is twice as strong. Everyone is convinced that the aluminum rods are far superior. They just are not. And just about any backwoods farmer can weld steel at some capacity if my rods were to fail. A whole lot of welding shop have a hard time welding aluminum even when they have the correct equipment. But I digress, I may have another run of X and R rods soon but as of now I have two full sets of upper/lower X rods powder coated black. Once those are gone, that may be all of them that I do.

Mostly, I have a full time job that pays well. These rods are just a little side gig that I really do not make a lot of money on these since the rod ends, bushings, spacer and tubing take up a lot of the "profit".
Thanks for the detailed reply and I agree about alum vs steel. I can weld alum but also know that I start with T-6 (temper) aluminum but welding zeros the temper, ending with T-0. The welds and immediate area will age harden to T-2 or T-3, at best. Tempering alum is far more complicated than controlled cooling, including an involved chemical brine process, not something a hobby weldor can do at home (neither can most fab shops for that matter).

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!