Riding comms acrossed multiple sxs?

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Curious what you all use for comms, I'll be riding with a group of guys and I know some use walkie talkies. Doesn't seem efficient for a larger group though.

What's the preferred method of comms while riding with a group of side by sides?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TxDoc and J80
H

HondaTech

$1,600 for a headset to talk to the guys while riding? At that price I'd sooner wear a bluetooth headset and call their cells as needed. That's insane

My GM used the handle mic versions in his Pioneer.

We only steeped up to the headsets for racing his Talon.

Any CB radio should work and transmit to any other on the same channels. Might even work on Walkie Talkies.

Reactions: Biteme and Many_Gs
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
My GM used the handle mic versions in his Pioneer.

We only steeped up to the headsets for racing his Talon.

Any CB radio should work and transmit to any other on the same channels. Might even work on Walkie Talkies.
I can see it for racing, however we're simply trail riding/out having fun.

Reactions: Biteme
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Curious what you all use for comms, I'll be riding with a group of guys and I know some use walkie talkies. Doesn't seem efficient for a larger group though.

What's the preferred method of comms while riding with a group of side by sides?

Using this....
5F809CFD D994 4DD2 B0CE C546E5C14E8F

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
$1,600 for a headset to talk to the guys while riding? At that price I'd sooner wear a bluetooth headset and call their cells as needed. That's insane

You are overblowing that. $1,600 is for the best system where you can protect your hearing, listen to music, answer/talk on your phone, talk to your passenger and radio your riding buddies with 60 watts. You don't have to spend near that much.

You can get a 5 watt handheld and a set of headphones for less than $300 like some in our riding group. They work real well and communicate with the $1,600 units.

Besides that, cell phones don't work when there are not cell towers.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
thashane

thashane

Lifetime Member
Oct 19, 2020
norCa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I use a 65w kenwood tm-281a, and a pci intercom. I had thought about trying to use an aviation intercom, but just bought the PCI one.

Cb is 4 watts, and long past its glory days. Most of the offroad community in Cali has moved to VHF. The mobile "race radios" (PCI, rugged) are on the commercial VHF frequencies.

With any radio/frequency you choose, the antenna is going to make the biggest improvement. Handheld "walkie talkies" will work in the cab, but not super great. A handheld in the cab attached to an external roof mounted antenna, will probably work 5x better than the one in the cab.

Reactions: Biteme and toddvdh
W

Wigglysqiggly

May 8, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. Talon X
I had a group buy on this website utvcom.com. I have no complain and price well

Reactions: Tramguage1
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4

Handheld basic radios from anywhere. I bought 6 of them and hand them out. (35 ish bucks apiece)

Get rechargeable ones and just plug in the bundle at night.

Set a channel and run with it clipped to your roof above your head.

Push call and guys stop then chat.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sorry, plus you can add camera's to it. No more mirrors. It is also waterproof. And no I do not work for Garmin but I like to invest in equipment that is reliable and where I can get after-the-sale support. Again, hope this helps.

Reactions: Biteme
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
some things to ponder when getting Radio system

The units get far better reception / distance with an external antenna. When planning for mounting keep in mind where you ride as roof mounted can get destroyed going under trees and even when going into enclosed trailers. Also think about easy of removal if necessary to load in trailer.

An intercom system - Besides extra cost and installation issues, do you really want your Partner screaming in your ear "Slow Down" or Don't go up there" every little while LOL. Also can be issue when intercom over rides the incoming message from other cars

Where you mount your radio. If get water proof version, not quite as important, but if not, want to be able to "bag" it when washing car. Also be sure you mount your Push to Talk button in easy reach. Don't want to have to think about it when want to warn others in middle of a manuver to miss something.

Wattage - In my Opinion (& Just my Opinion) a 25 watt is about right. It will get you by when in Line of site situations and a 60 watt won't help much with a mountain between you. Just be aware that if you go "Big" to turn down output so don't kill others when you key it. A lot of your need will be affected by the group you ride with. If they keep the 5 watt guys in the middle and don't string out 5 miles no problems at all. If no one pays attention to rest of group, you will probably have lost people with all 60 watt units.

Again just opinions and food for thought. No perfect answer.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!