russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
As mentioned above, we have a well qualified board vendor, @elkaholic. He is also a Garmin dealer. Please give him a shot at a sale before sourcing equipment elsewhere. And remember, if / when you have a warranty issue, who would you rather deal with? An unknown company in an unknown place, or someone you know and have easy access to who also has a reputation to uphold among peers?

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We use a tyt ham radio. Like @Montecresto . I dont know much about it. I chose it because it was cheap and was the common choice with other members.

Reactions: TripleB
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
N

nice I have the same set up and love it
We will get to try them out next weekend for the first time in real trail riding situation. Im old and have trouble hearing the wife and miss the first couple words when someone talks on the UHF/VHF radio. So hope this helps with all that. I have the over the head head phones and also the setup for helmets. Do you ride with helmet ?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
As mentioned above, we have a well qualified board vendor, @elkaholic. He is also a Garmin dealer. Please give him a shot at a sale before sourcing equipment elsewhere. And remember, if / when you have a warranty issue, who would you rather deal with? An unknown company in an unknown place, or someone you know and have easy access to who also has a reputation to uphold among peers?
As @russknight mentioned give @elkaholic the first shot at a sale . He has been a forum member here a long time and is a stand up guy.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A little dated Picture, but <$200 if purchased correctly. Headset (just saw them on Amazon for$69), connecting cable ~$35 ish, cheap Baofeng with 2 meter Nagoya antenna add on and high cap add on battery $80 ish. If you want it for less substitute a remote mike speaker for the headset and cable with for less than $10 bucs. Disclaimer.
HT
transmitting on these type radios on improper frequencies, and without the proper licensure is a federal offence that can result in confiscation and fines in the thousands of dollars range. I would substitute a type 95 approved Baofeng GMRS radio for a few bucks more and get a 10 year/$70 license if I went this route.

sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I'm running the tyt th8600 and have a baofeng uv5r for spotters this setup is working extremely well however while using these radios may throw up a red flag for "HAM, GMRS license holders" we all try and keep on the FRS frequency even tho both are still "illegal to use" per fcc rules and guide lines keeping to those frequency shouldn't be an issue but still keep that in mind

20210227 225838 20210325 140646

Last edited:
Reactions: Remote
Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From a practical stand point, typical GMRS users don't really have a way to determine if the traffic is from a part 95 approved transmitter or not. FCC, probably yes. But a small fish that is being a good fish and obeying GMRS use protocols is a pretty obscure fish in a big sea. I have heard from a very reliable source that the UV5 and 8600 do indeed work well together for car to car comms on GMRS channels. Their pretty decent out to a easy mile plus mile with an aftermarket antenna on the hand held. Car to car with two mobiles (I get 23 watts out with my type 95 certed Rugged GMR25 which are just TYT 8600 clones locked into GMRS channels) with a well tuned external antennas we get excellent comms over 5-10miles (that's as far as I've tested) over hilly no line of sight terrain. The UV5 Hand helds with a good aftermarket antenna were are putting out about 2.8 watts GMRS channels (according to a "friend") 😎 YMMV

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm running the tyt th8600 and have a baofeng uv5r for spotters this setup is working extremely well however while using these radios may throw up a red flag for "HAM, GMRS license holders" we all try and keep on the FRS frequency even tho both are still "illegal to use" per fcc rules and guide lines keeping to those frequency shouldn't be an issue but still keep that in mind

View attachment 266530 View attachment 266531
Right, but don’t talk about it...🤔
It’s harder to plead ignorance...😂

• Haha
Reactions: sspeederr
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I totally agree with @Remote I am not expert by no means on these radios just getting all the info I can from a reliable source the over priced rugged radios are locked down version of the tyt in fact take the rugged case off it is a tyt rugged sourced from tyt

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can from a reliable source the over priced rugged radios are locked down version of the tyt in fact take the rugged case off it is a tyt rugged sourced from tyt
Also with a wired in intercom pigtail that allows use of person to person talking in the car and a very convenient push to talk button on the steering wheel and, or on the grab bar on the passenger side to allow effortless conversations between other cars with radios. A feature that is kind of like a garage door opener......once you have it you wonder why the heck you didn't do it a long while ago because it is just so convenient.

sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Also with a wired in intercom pigtail that allows use of person to person talking in the car and a very convenient push to talk button on the steering wheel and, or on the grab bar on the passenger side to allow effortless conversations between other cars with radios. A feature that is kind of like a garage door opener......once you have it you wonder why the heck you didn't do it a long while ago because it is just so convenient.
Yulp I know exactly what you are talking about ptt isn't something I find a need in as I don't like all the extra wires and connections however I have used and it is very handy 😀 when our group rides were pretty tight and know our area mostly well so if someone was to miss a turn it easy to notice and most time can catch them via backtrack or comms it just a matter of getting radios in all units and getting some to upgrade from bubble wraps

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks for all the comments and mentions. I have not been getting any notifications of mentions so I am just seeing these.

If there is anything that anyone needs in the line of comms and now comms / GPS as a Garmin dealer. Please hit me up.

One note is that the chip shortage is impacting comms. Several HAM radios I personally have been interested in have been discontinued due to access to chips.

I am out of TYT waterproof radios and have no ETA on the next batch from China. I have quite a few on order for 6 weeks + now.

Midland is hit and miss. I have one 40 watt, and several lower wattage units in stock. In general, they are available on short notice, but certain models are becoming hard to source.

Garmin - what can I say. I have been a Garmin fan for more than 30 years - from my first GPS that took at least 15 minutes to get a fix and only showed two lines of data : lat and Lon. They are even better to deal with as a dealer. Their support - even of a little guy like me - is incredible. The only thing I can compete on is service as they have extradorniarily strict pricing policies - so much so that if you see somebody selling way lower than everyone else, be very suspicious.

SPOT .... I am closing this line out. Nothing wrong with their products just not big sellers. If you ever even thought of getting one, hit me privately for an “I need it gone” price ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
From a practical stand point, typical GMRS users don't really have a way to determine if the traffic is from a part 95 approved transmitter or not. FCC, probably yes. But a small fish that is being a good fish and obeying GMRS use protocols is a pretty obscure fish in a big sea. I have heard from a very reliable source that the UV5 and 8600 do indeed work well together for car to car comms on GMRS channels. Their pretty decent out to a easy mile plus mile with an aftermarket antenna on the hand held. Car to car with two mobiles (I get 23 watts out with my type 95 certed Rugged GMR25 which are just TYT 8600 clones locked into GMRS channels) with a well tuned external antennas we get excellent comms over 5-10miles (that's as far as I've tested) over hilly no line of sight terrain. The UV5 Hand helds with a good aftermarket antenna were are putting out about 2.8 watts GMRS channels (according to a "friend") YMMV

Right. FCC is cracking down on the marketers of programmed radios.

I have some TYT rigs in the hands of customers who can allegedly communicate from the top of Windrock Mountain to Alcoa, TN on simplex GMRS. I have personally hit a 2 meter repeater on a Monday night HAM net with my TYT on my SxS from my garage. Repeater is 52 miles distant. My High dollar Kenwood has better sound quality and can reach a little further but I would t put a $600 radio in a SxS.

That said, I tried a different TYT 2m in my Jeep and it is soon to be replaced with a Yaesu ... it is a piece of junk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have personally hit a 2 meter repeater on a Monday night HAM net with my TYT on my SxS from my garage. Repeater is 52 miles distant.
Repeaters! Repeaters!......how cool is that? Actually pretty darn cool if you live in simplex land like me :confused: Actually we got one 2m repeater amateur locally (it just sits there and ids). In the last 7 years I've heard it keyed up perhaps 3-4 times during field days. It's like SETI waiting for VHF/UHF amateur traffic out here. My poor Kenwoods just contentedly scan and listen to local road and bridges traffic, occasional patched thru 800 law and fire, along with the few simplex ranchers and out of town hunters who could care less about rules. It's a quiet life.

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check with other riders in the group first, and see what they may already have/use

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Repeaters! Repeaters!......how cool is that? Actually pretty darn cool if you live in simplex land like me :confused: Actually we got one 2m repeater amateur locally (it just sits there and ids). In the last 7 years I've heard it keyed up perhaps 3-4 times during field days. It's like SETI waiting for VHF/UHF amateur traffic out here. My poor Kenwoods just contentedly scan and listen to local road and bridges traffic, occasional patched thru 800 law and fire, along with the few simplex ranchers and out of town hunters who could care less about rules. It's a quiet life.

What I like is that for those of us who ride Windrock, there are several active repeaters in the area with one on top of the mountain. There are even at least 2 unlisted GMRS repeaters on the North end that I have heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

gmcbob

Jul 28, 2017
Kansas
Ownership

1. 500
To be clear, the Garmin Tread unit is more than a radio. It has gps, a nice sized screen to see your loaded forest service trail maps, and you can see other riders in your group on the screen. (If they have a Tread.) If you’re riding with 5 other machines, you’ll see 6 dots on your screen. So, if grandpa is falling behind the group, you’ll see it on the screen before he can call on the radio to say ‘slow down!’

An early version test unit didn’t survive a rollover event in my P500. The unit case and mounting hardware both reengineered since then. A quality product built for the trail and it’s intended use.

(Not an employee of Garmin nor a sales representative.)

Reactions: Tramguage1

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!