Rocker switch wiring....forgive me.

K

killerv

Nov 28, 2018
Central Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
If there is the ultimate wiring guide somewhere please hook me up. I'm not having much success.

Alright, purchased a 12in led bar for the front of my 700. The switch coming off the relay has a black/red/white wire going to it...after I pull them off the original switch....how do those go to a 5pin switch? I do have the honda accessory harness if that helps. Thanks for the help. The relay is wired up out of the box...so basically, where do those 3 switch wires go and where does the accessory harness connect into the 5 pin rocker switch.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This is the common 5 pin layout. 55dd8bb27b674f546cb4b0fcb5fc7f53

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Also, Many people replace the red wire with a Key-on source so the swirch is only hot when the key is on.

Reactions: sharp
K

killerv

Nov 28, 2018
Central Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
Also, Many people replace the red wire with a Key-on source so the swirch is only hot when the key is on.

thanks
correct me if I'm wrong. The factory switch has a black, red, and white plugged into it now.

So.... 2 and 6 will be jumped together and go to the accessory harness (red wire), basically snip it and take it to harness instead of back to relay. All this is doing is powering the switch/switch lights instead of relying on relay to do so. Plus it give me key on.

The black wire would go to one of the grounds with those two grounds jumped together (8 and 7)

I'm assuming the white wire would plug into 3 going back to the relay

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Sounds right.
Using that relay. All you need to do is provide 12v low amp + to the white wire. It will engage the relay.

I cant comment in the factory harness as I have never messed with one.

Be sure to tape off the red wire from the swirch to the relay. It will stay 12v constant forever. If it was me. I'd cut open the harness near the relay and snip it there removing it between the relay and switch.

Also. Might as well just use the black from the relay. No reason not to. Save you some trouble.

K

killerv

Nov 28, 2018
Central Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for all the help. Here is what I ended up doing, man its hot/humit down here in Ga.... I hooked the black up to 8 (which evidently is optional if you don't have to have the switch light at all). Ran a wire from 2 to the accessory subharness for key on power. Then white on 3 back to the relay. This setup gives me the top light on the switch only when the lights are in use...which I am fine with. I just don't have the lights on the switch doing different things by not doing the jumpers. Everything seemed to test fine...I think I'm good to go. But like you said...sounds like I need to cap the red off or remove it completely that was going from relay to the old switch since its not being used.

Winch switch is next...curious if I can run key on to the same port on the subharness I used for light bar or if I it needs to be on its on key on. It would be cleaner if I could.

Thanks.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yes.
Now if you want the lower switch light on you do this.
Jump 8 to 7.
And jump 2 to 6.
Then. When key is on. The lower switch light will always be on so you can see it at night if you want that.

As for the winch switch.
I'll assume these switches are side by side.
Then.
You can now jump #2 from the swirch above to #2 on the winch switch as the contactor control wire.
[*most winch switches input hot is #2, need to check]

That's the good thing about relays. They do not use any amps at all so you can jump them all over as long as its for relay control or switch backlight power.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!