Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Lol yeah no matter what you do it never ends, it’s a constant ongoing maintenance issue. And Oklahoma mice are rednecks and think the dryer sheets are bedding the nice humans put out for them.:D:D
You remind me of someone:rolleyes:
962D64B0 4F0C 49D5 BCE1 8DC0719A02F0

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
E227EF0B 733B 4745 997D AD08D9364BCC
Caught another one. That’s 2 in four days. I’m not really happy with my design. It doesn’t roll that easy. I’m gonna get off my wallet and get the official one and I’m going to pick up the walk the plank trap @Neohio recommended.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

He changes things up a bit in this video, it looks like he uses a tall kitchen garbage can with a hole in the side. I'm going to order a walk the plank and grab an old garbage can and do something similar. I won't use the rolling log, just the plank and set it up in my shed at camp. See how many I can get in a week!
He does suggest making them kill traps, he has one video where 2 mice drop in, and only one survives when they fight to the death on one. he figures drowning is more humane than being eaten alive.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'd find an alternative to the tarp. You've created a shelter for them. This is why cats and critters invade covered boats. Then start with trapping. Be it large wood traps for rats or the small ones for mice. They've been in use forever and there's a good reason why. Peanut butter works great as a bait because of its aroma, but they also actually sell baits specifically designed for such critters. Just watch for non target animals and adjust your setup accordingly. It helps to anchor your larger traps so that the half dead critter doesn't drag it over to the neighbors yard. For rats or even squirrels I like to use a cubby set witch is simply securing the trap inside of a tube or box. I always used a covered squirrel live trap with the kill trap inside. Be sure to check your local laws if squirrels are your target. They are sometimes considered fur bearers or small game. Rats have (NEOPOHIBIA) meaning they are wary of anything new that appears in their territory. A bait station, a trap, a block of wood will be avoided for a few days until the rats become familiar with the new object; even then, they approach cautiously. This fear of new objects can make baiting and trapping difficult. Rats will avoid poison bait when it is first placed. Later, they may nibble warily. If the poison bait makes them ill but doesn't kill them, they will avoid similar baits or bait stations in the future.

Once the population is lowered and trapping slows down you can start with the poison. Remember a trap only catches one critter until you reset it. Poison eventually gets them all. You can leave the poison for the next guy that comes wandering around. Again, if your worried about non targets use bait stations with bait inside. I prefer the poison blocks. The stations usually keep the blocks so the kids don't get into it or the critter can't drag it out and leave it for your fluffy little poodle to swallow.

Look for active ingredients such as diphacinone, bromadiolone and warfarin — all anticoagulants that cause internal bleeding. I prefer bromadiolone. Phosphides work well but are much more dangerous. It's weird, they sell them over the counter in some places but also classify them as restricted use for companies that provide pest control services to use for their customers.

And a final note unrelated to your above ground problem but for those that may stumble on this...be very careful using smokes and fogs for burrowing pests. There is a very well known case of a pest guy smoking pocket gofers near a home. He unknowingly killed an entire family because the gophers burrowed right up to a home's foundation and the poisonous gas entered the home and gassed it's occupants.

Always follow the label on anything you use!

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

He changes things up a bit in this video, it looks like he uses a tall kitchen garbage can with a hole in the side. I'm going to order a walk the plank and grab an old garbage can and do something similar. I won't use the rolling log, just the plank and set it up in my shed at camp. See how many I can get in a week!
He does suggest making them kill traps, he has one video where 2 mice drop in, and only one survives when they fight to the death on one. he figures drowning is more humane than being eaten alive.
Great ideas! I made my own rolling log with all-thread, pill bottle, and some tape. It works great for catching mice at my camp. I caught 7 last fall and had no idea there were any mice around.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Y’all are too fancy with the trap. All I need is a coat hanger or welding rod and an empty beer can. Get a piece of rope to go from the ground to the lip of the bucket. Drill small hole on bottom of can. Run the rod or coat hanger through the can. Smear a bit of peanut butter on the can. Anti freeze in the bottom of the bucket. I’ve used that setup and it works. Takes 10 minutes to make and costs pretty much nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: sharp and Mudwing
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Could just do like my dad and uncle in my camp when I was just a fry. Four single beds along the far wall. Both laying in bed , drunk, and they are watching a mouse come out on top of a little corner cabinet, it was a one room schoolhouse before 64’, and my uncle says ,’ next time he comes out, nail him with the .32. Haha, a .32 special Winchester. Almost light a match it was so on, and still is. Next time he came out, BANG. Haha, got the mouse and put a hole in the camp. My dad told us this long after they did it. And said ‘ NEVER SOOT A MOUSE IN THE CAMP. Haha, really. Hope it makes you laugh. Caper

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Y’all are too fancy with the trap. All I need is a coat hanger or welding rod and an empty beer can. Get a piece of rope to go from the ground to the lip of the bucket. Drill small hole on bottom of can. Run the rod or coat hanger through the can. Smear a bit of peanut butter on the can. Anti freeze in the bottom of the bucket. I’ve used that setup and it works. Takes 10 minutes to make and costs pretty much nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just gotta drink a beer. :D

Reactions: Caper
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Could just do like my dad and uncle in my camp when I was just a fry. Four single beds along the far wall. Both laying in bed , drunk, and they are watching a mouse come out on top of a little corner cabinet, it was a one room schoolhouse before 64’, and my uncle says ,’ next time he comes out, nail him with the .32. Haha, a .32 special Winchester. Almost light a match it was so on, and still is. Next time he came out, BANG. Haha, got the mouse and put a hole in the camp. My dad told us this long after they did it. And said ‘ NEVER SOOT A MOUSE IN THE CAMP. Haha, really. Hope it makes you laugh. Caper
That’s hilarious :D

Reactions: Caper and Mudwing
H

HeavyTee

Mar 9, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use sachets of whole cloves...buy some whole cloves..make sachets fine nylon mesh (old pantyhose)...rodents mice,squirrels etc do not like the smell and are repelled..place sachets under the hood etc..I use this on cars I keep in my garage...got this idea from a car dealership..

Last edited:
Reactions: Caper
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
LOL! You guys wouldn't believe the amount of money that I made from jobs that had ultrasonic, mothball sachet, water buckets. Reminds me of my bird control training..... If you see a plastic owl setup on someones property, stop by and give them a business card. You know why???? Because the damn thing isn't going to work. Just like playing radios in attics to scare critters away. The number one rule in pest control is habitat management. Don't create an environment that invites pests. Number two is reduce their access and food sources. It's also called eco freindly pest management. No traps or poisons needed if they can't or don't want to be there.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
LOL! You guys wouldn't believe the amount of money that I made from jobs that had ultrasonic, mothball sachet, water buckets. Reminds me of my bird control training..... If you see a plastic owl setup on someones property, stop by and give them a business card. You know why???? Because the damn thing isn't going to work. Just like playing radios in attics to scare critters away. The number one rule in pest control is habitat management. Don't create an environment that invites pests. Number two is reduce their access and food sources. It's also called eco freindly pest management. No traps or poisons needed if they can't or don't want to be there.
And you should know. If a farmer can’t control mice, who can. The damn things are probably all in the barn today it’s so cold. Have a good day.
Caper

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!