Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I recently read that mice don't like strong smells, which is why moth balls work.
The story suggested cutting Irish Spring soap into squares (or buy a bunch of them). Some people find the soap less offensive than the moth balls.

(shrugging shoulders)

Reactions: Caper
G

Gladmills

Dec 10, 2018
Boise idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Have several friends that have had mouse, cottontail rabbits and squirrels that live in rural areas. Using Irish spring hand soap(non scented) broken up in pieces placed in several places including on the engine will deter them. Start engine periodically to warm up engine to create odor. Has been proven in this area to be successful.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Kind of like bacteria ends up adapting to antibiotics, termites adapt to pesticides, rodents adapt to mothballs and pepper spray.

Also, it depends on where you're at, they are different and more of a problem in some areas than others.

I’m plagued with them in the New Mexico Rockies, a little less so on my Oklahoma ranch, and have virtually no problem at my Arkansas lake house.

Clearly everybody has had different experiences and varying results. I’m not at any one property full time so a cat is out of the question. The only product I found that keeps rodents out of my RV in the Rockies is this, used in baby chick feeders,

8 Pack Killing Rodents Tomcat Mouse Rats Liquid Concentrated Bait Clean Fumigate | eBay

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
So where is the peanut butter?
I put the peanut butter on the center of the pipe and rolled the pipe so the peanut butter was on the bottom. My setup doesn’t roll as easily as I’d like. I’m contemplating a different setup or buying the one off amazon.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put the peanut butter on the center of the pipe and rolled the pipe so the peanut butter was on the bottom. My setup doesn’t roll as easily as I’d like. I’m contemplating a different setup or buying the one off amazon.
I got bored and watched some of his other videos.He uploads weekly on mice traps.
This is the one he highly recommends.
New & Improved Walk The Plank Mouse Trap

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
It has been a common issue from those of us who put our motorcycles/atv's/utv's, etc, in storage for a season, to find rodents have invaded air filters or chewed wiring. I'm presently storing my P500 outdoors under a cover, a real attraction to mice or squirrels and have caught about a dozen mice so far, probably a drop in the bucket.

Has anyone come up with a way to keep rodents away from our machines? Maybe a certain spray on the wiring, like a rust preventative or spray lube or something? Any ideas out there?
I had a 17’ boat for a bit. Sold it to buy the 500. I stored the boat in a barn. With hay in it. It was full of boats and cars. My neighbor in Cape Breton said use Bounce sheets. Really! I used them. Just put one in the live well and battery box. And a couple under the tarps. No mice. Not even a mouse poop. Other boats and a few cars had nests and droppings in and around but mine was fine . I had the boat stored there from Nov until April every year. No mice. Just regular Bounce sheets. Crazy. They seem to work. Haha. Good luck.
Caper

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I had a 17’ boat for a bit. Sold it to buy the 500. I stored the boat in a barn. With hay in it. It was full of boats and cars. My neighbor in Cape Breton said use Bounce sheets. Really! I used them. Just put one in the live well and battery box. And a couple under the tarps. No mice. Not even a mouse poop. Other boats and a few cars had nests and droppings in and around but mine was fine . I had the boat stored there from Nov until April every year. No mice. Just regular Bounce sheets. Crazy. They seem to work. Haha. Good luck.
Caper
Tried that with no luck. Like just about any other subject, there’s a forum dedicated to conversations on rodent remedies. It’s amazing the things people swear by and how that something that works over there doesn’t work over here lol. :D

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Tried that with no luck. Like just about any other subject, there’s a forum dedicated to conversations on rodent remedies. It’s amazing the things people swear by and how that something that works over there doesn’t work over here lol. :D
Pet owl?

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Haha, you would think mice are mice. Maybe Oklahoma mice like the nice smell. Haha. My bike is in my garage, so nothing yet. But I have caught a few. Someone else said Irish spring, my brother tried that at the camp. Haha. I think they are looking for a warmer place to live, but you wouldn’t think that would be a bike. I used to go rat hunting at the old dump when I was a kid. Thousands of rats, we are in Halifax, and I still have my pellet pistol. Haha. That was around 45 years ago though. Sitting on the hood of my ‘73 Meteor. The girls driving with the windows up. Haha. Good times. Haha Crazy
Caper

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I used to go rat hunting at the old dump when I was a kid. Thousands of rats, we are in Halifax, and I still have my pellet pistol. Haha. That was around 45 years ago though. Sitting on the hood of my ‘73 Meteor. The girls driving with the windows up. Haha. Good times. Haha Crazy
That sounds cool.... :cool:

P

Plowboylivin

Jan 6, 2019
berea, ky
Ownership

1. Big Red
It has been a common issue from those of us who put our motorcycles/atv's/utv's, etc, in storage for a season, to find rodents have invaded air filters or chewed wiring. I'm presently storing my P500 outdoors under a cover, a real attraction to mice or squirrels and have caught about a dozen mice so far, probably a drop in the bucket.

Has anyone come up with a way to keep rodents away from our machines? Maybe a certain spray on the wiring, like a rust preventative or spray lube or something? Any ideas out there?
A taurus judge with #6 buckshot !

Redone

Redone

Nov 14, 2018
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys I have had great luck with both fresh cab bags and dryer sheets just don’t be afraid to use plenty of dryer sheets. For something like a truck stuff them under the seats and in the glove box you can put them under the hood too. Just get a cloths pin and hang like five sheets from each pin. Same thing with the fresh cab bags. The down side to moth balls is the interior can pick up the smells of moth balls and they stink. Mice hate the smell of cedar you can buy cedar chips and mound them around your machine make like a wall around the whole thing then once a month resoak the chips with liquid cedar sent (you can buy both at most building supply stores). Good luck.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hey guys I have had great luck with both fresh cab bags and dryer sheets just don’t be afraid to use plenty of dryer sheets. For something like a truck stuff them under the seats and in the glove box you can put them under the hood too. Just get a cloths pin and hang like five sheets from each pin. Same thing with the fresh cab bags. The down side to moth balls is the interior can pick up the smells of moth balls and they stink. Mice hate the smell of cedar you can buy cedar chips and mound them around your machine make like a wall around the whole thing then once a month resoak the chips with liquid cedar sent (you can buy both at most building supply stores). Good luck.
I’ve pulled several rat nests out of my equipment made of cedar bark which is kind of furry and makes great bedding. ;)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!