Talon Roll cage welds?

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw on Facebook a couple photos of Talon roll cage welds being a little off the seam. When I was at my closest powerhouse dealer today getting my ECM flashed for the fan, the salesman volunteered that they were having to go check both Talons they sold. We were discussing the stop sale on the P1 and he said they recieved notice to check the Talons. Supposedly the welding jig lost or was out of calibration. @HondaTech have you heard anything?

Reactions: Ragnar406
H

HondaTech

Monday they did release a Set-up Notice for rollcage weld inspection to look for incomplete welds and bad pipe to lug seams.

Haven't heard anything more than that, neither of the 2 we have looked bad. But since they issued that Bulletin I'm guessing its happened to somebody, somewhere.

Since it just dropped on Monday, I'd suggest anyone who picked a Talon up before then look at all their welds carefully, just to be safe.

Reactions: JTW
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
would like to see some pics of this, so i know what i'm looking for.

H

HondaTech

would like to see some pics of this, so i know what i'm looking for.

If someone could find the facebfaceplst about it, they have shot of a poorly fitted pipe and joint at the weld. It would be pretty apparent.

Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R
I hope they get it fixed quickly cause I am still waiting on mine... Maybe it will not push back orders any more... Mine was moved ahead until this happened...

B

Bigblue1

Feb 3, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I hope they get it fixed quickly cause I am still waiting on mine... Maybe it will not push back orders any more... Mine was moved ahead until this happened...
I would think that it will push deliveries out to fix the problem because mine has to be replaced and they are making this a priority and will have it done first of next week.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
C

Chooglin

Screenshot 2019 03 22 14 27 18

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X

I would have seen that defect across room. That said, looks more cosmetic than anything. Only way to tell for certain how the structural integrity would be affected would be to xray. Would I accept that? No. But I am sure Honda will weed out any roll cages that are impacted at factory and quickly replace those in field. I can't imagine there are many that would have been missed in inspection. Can't see this being a big deal as far as delays.

B

Bigblue1

Feb 3, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I would have seen that defect across room. That said, looks more cosmetic than anything. Only way to tell for certain how the structural integrity would be affected would be to xray. Would I accept that? No. But I am sure Honda will weed out any roll cages that are impacted at factory and quickly replace those in field. I can't imagine there are many that would have been missed in inspection. Can't see this being a big deal as far as delays.
You would not have seen mine from across the room. I don't notice until I zoom in but Honda is going to replace it.
20190321 175155

Reactions: JTW and Chooglin

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Mine has been held up for several days at shipping according to dealer. It was due Monday or Tuesday. They must be replacing it....an inspection wouldn’t take long unless there are a lot of them to inspect.

B

Bigblue1

Feb 3, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Mine has been held up for several days at shipping according to dealer. It was due Monday or Tuesday. They must be replacing it....an inspection wouldn’t take long unless there are a lot of them to inspect.
They are replacing around 375 units.

Reactions: 1Ron
Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
Purely guessing. If the cages are outsourced the delay will be from supplier. Trying to build replacements and maintain production will be the trick.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Purely guessing. If the cages are outsourced the delay will be from supplier. Trying to build replacements and maintain production will be the trick.
I believe cages are made in house. Well the frame is.

B

Bigblue1

Feb 3, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was told that they are building them and would be pulling them from the line.. I think it will slow down distribution a little .

B

Bigblue1

Feb 3, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
just looked at mine, all look good to me.
I did not see it on mine either until Honda told me that it was there and I zoom in. Getting old and losing your vision sucks. And to make it worse 30 years ago when I had good vision I was a certified pipe welder and welded for a living.

Reactions: JTW
Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R
Anyone had their talon weld issues fixed yet? Still waiting on mine to hit the dealer..

Reactions: CumminsPusher
T

Ttownridergirl253

Mar 25, 2019
Tacoma, WA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Had to send pictures to the dealer of our bungs. Currently getting a new cage so told them I am not worried about anything else. Heard they stopped sales currently. Really glad I got mine right away. Here is what the dealership sent out, just proves Honda expects the best.

DF9A67CF 1D97 4726 A714 287E64E30C0D

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!