Talon Roll cage welds?

Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV

Lifetime Member
Mar 23, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just looked at all of the welds on my machine (bought it Saturday) all weld are covering roll bar ends, but not as nice and fine finish as you would like them. I work for Toyota manufacturing plant and we would not allow welds out of our plant that were not clean. I actually worked on a line (2006-2009) that had 3 welders on it welding 3 different welds that were on a interior shaft that was on inside on transmission and rough welds would be scrap. But the welds on the roll bar are all in contact with the ends of each piece.

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
They are making progress with the cages. Mine shipped today about a week late.

Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R
And just like that, my x got re-scheduled to be picked up at factory on 3/28 from 4/18....b00m

Hopefully mine will get back on track and get here soon... I want to take it to Trucks Gone Wild in a couple of weeks but I have a custom winch bumper to build for a 9.5K winch along with a lot more accessories to install before then..

Reactions: DaveM47
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hopefully mine will get back on track and get here soon... I want to take it to Trucks Gone Wild in a couple of weeks but I have a custom winch bumper to build for a 9.5K winch along with a lot more accessories to install before then..
Why 9500 winch?

H

HondaTech

Why 9500 winch?

I dont believe hes putting it on the Talon, I'd assume it's something for the event he mentioned.

But by the way, we're in the process of mounting a 5500lb Axon winch from Warn in a Talon R using the Honda mount.

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
I dont believe hes putting it on the Talon, I'd assume it's something for the event he mentioned.

But by the way, we're in the process of mounting a 5500lb Axon winch from Warn in a Talon R using the Honda mount.
The honda talon winch kit mount?

Reactions: Buckwheat
Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R
Why 9500 winch?

Well I run one on my Pioneer and it has saved my tail and people who ride with me a lot... I have been stuck at times and a 5K UTV winch will not move me... Even with a doubler… I don't trust UTV/ATV winches unless they are Warn and they are just as much as the Smittybuilt 9.5K winch I run on my pioneer and soon the Talon. I have had Viper/KFI/Badlands winches and all of them have failed me.. I tend to build for overkill...

Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R

No my brother will be building a customer winch bumper for the 9.5K winch and it will be on my Talon.

Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R
Also the 9.5K winch looks mean.. I will post pictures when we are done with the Talon bumper... If my talon ever gets delivered.. Its going to be awesome..

TopTrail FrontPicture

Reactions: Mudwing
H

HondaTech

The honda talon winch kit mount?

Yeah, it fits in the stock bumper as well. Have to drill holes for the wider mounting pattern and do some cutting but, it's a base to start from.

Hes only doing it because he got a stupid good deal on the winch.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have an 1978 M8274 I am refurbishing with 150’ of synthetic getting ready to get put on something.

Might be a little heavy for the front of a talon.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R
That has to add a ton of weight to that thing right?

9500 is way overkill for any SXS I would think.

The weight difference between the winch I run and the wide spool UTV winches is only 20lbs. When I was running the UTV winches at times it wouldn’t move the pioneer. Georgia clay isn’t anything to mess with. You will not think it is overkill when your back in the woods alone and your stuck..lol

Outfitter

Outfitter

Dec 3, 2016
DFW
Ownership

1. 700-4
I stopped by my local dealer here in the DFW metromess yesterday to see about a test drive and check the new Talon out. Unfortunately all the units they received have bad welds so it was a no go for me.
Will try again in a couple months.

Reactions: Chooglin
T

TalonRRR

Mar 11, 2019
PA
Went and saw an R first the first time at a local dealer. Was really nice and felt bigger than I thought it would. While checking it out I noticed the weld on one of the A-Arms. One looked nice, other looked like a drunk blind monkey welded it. Seriously, how can this pass quality control? I know its structurally probably sound but for being such a noticeable weld I'd expect more from Honda. I think I'll wait a bit until they figure it out.
Aarm1
Aarm2

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went and saw an R first the first time at a local dealer. Was really nice and felt bigger than I thought it would. While checking it out I noticed the weld on one of the A-Arms. One looked nice, other looked like a drunk blind monkey welded it. Seriously, how can this pass quality control? I know its structurally probably sound but for being such a noticeable weld I'd expect more from Honda. I think I'll wait a bit until they figure it out.View attachment 119227 View attachment 119228

Looks just like @my99svt unit as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
Exactly like mine, passenger side looks great. Drivers side looks like s***!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!