Stock roll cage

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
We all know stock roll cages in any sxs are not great.

I really thought the honda cage looked better design led than the others. Well untill I saw this Pic.
Screenshot 20200630 180142

Honda used extremely this tubing and the stock cage might even be worse than others. Having the cage deform is one thing, but completely crushing is unacceptable.

I wanted to remind others that if you are going fast and jumping your talon, you absolutely need to add a better cage.

WTXoffroader

WTXoffroader

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2019
Kermit, TX
Ownership

1. Talon R

2. Talon X4
I believe that is the one that had another Talon land on top of it. The story was that they were both rentals and the other one flew over the hill and landed on that one. I don't remember if anyone was badly hurt or not.

A cage is definitely high on the list of things to do on mine.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am kind of surprised that these SxS manufacturers haven't been flooded with lawsuits over their unsafe cage designs. There isn't a single SxS made that has a cage capable of holding up in a crash at speed. The absolute lack of triangulation in these designs tells me all I need to know about their crash/roll capabilities. Hell, I just saw a picture of a Can-Am that flopped over backwards climbing a rock ledge and the cage was mangled. I understand that roll cages are a sacrificial item but not being able to hold up to a simple flop is just unacceptable.

I'm building my Talon R for high speed short course racing so I went a bit over board on the cage design.....
20200517 144458
20200518 012315

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am kind of surprised that these SxS manufacturers haven't been flooded with lawsuits over their unsafe cage designs. There isn't a single SxS made that has a cage capable of holding up in a crash at speed. The absolute lack of triangulation in these designs tells me all I need to know about their crash/roll capabilities. Hell, I just saw a picture of a Can-Am that flopped over backwards climbing a rock ledge and the cage was mangled. I understand that roll cages are a sacrificial item but not being able to hold up to a simple flop is just unacceptable.

I'm building my Talon R for high speed short course racing so I went a bit over board on the cage design.....View attachment 210474View attachment 210475

They all pass the federal ROPS standard. No way to litigate any sort of suit.

jtsticks3

jtsticks3

Jul 1, 2020
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Ther

I'm building my Talon R for high speed short course racing so I went a bit over board on the cage design.....View attachment 210474View attachment 210475
I have driven a lot of Honda cars over the years and have been 2 high speed (closing speed in excess of 90MPH) wrecks (hit twice by drunk drivers) and the car crumpled in all the right places and I walked away from both without anything more than a scratch (flying glass). I am sure that philosophy is used in building the roll cages so that you are tossed around a lot by the bouncing. Definitely not like the old roll cages my dad had in our Jeeps growing up, but it should be able to handle a simple rollover without buckling.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
They all pass the federal ROPS standard. No way to litigate any sort of suit.

I'm in the heavy equipment industry and know a decent amount about ROPS/FOPS testing.

Does you Talon just randomly fall over at zero miles an hour?

Do you ever put the front of the cage against something and then punch the gas?

ROPS certification on a machine that was built to do upwards of 80mph is a joke. There should be a much higher standard than that for the performance SxS market..

First year engineering students understand the importance of nodes and triangulation in a tubular structure. Either Honda engineers don't, or they just couldn't be bothered to because it would up production cost by a little and isn't needed to pass that super relevant ROPS test.

I could almost guarantee you that a smart team of lawyers with a class action suit would walk all over these SxS companies based on negligence alone.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Honda cars are irrelevant.

But that does bring up a point, I've seen a ton of vehicles, especially 90s and early 2000s 4runners, that have rolled. High speed, low speed, ect. Not one completely crumpled like some of the sxs cages I've seen.

At least make them out of decent material. 060 is ridiculous for something that isn't braced at all.

The op Pic is kind of an extreme situation, but as mentioned, it's not like those forces couldn't be there in an 80 mph single vehicle accident.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
not sure what honda calls them, but pretty sure both Polaris and Yamaha call them roof hangers, not Roll cages. Remember Polari shad to stop sales on the 1st 72" RZR because they mistakenly called it a roll cage & got sued.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!