P500 roll cage?

B

BryantGaul

Jul 21, 2016
ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Does anyone know if the pioneer 500's roll cage is an actual roll cage or a canopy bar? Curious if it would actually protect in a roll over situation.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Goggle it....
I feel it a rollcage
but if that's your concern
that's a question you should
of ask....your dealer

Reactions: webby and trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Does anyone know if the pioneer 500's roll cage is an actual roll cage or a canopy bar? Curious if it would actually protect in a roll over situation.
I've searched for Honda claims on their roll cage for the P5 before and haven't found anything. I suppose it depends on what you're doing. This is from UTV Guide.

"If taking a bone stock SxS to Moab, know its limitations in driver, passenger and vehicle safety. Yes, the manufacturers built its SxS units with safety in mind, but going to the next level is the owner’s responsibility, especially when driving in steep and rugged terrain. Given that, an aftermarket roll cage/roll bar that has thicker walls and is reinforced at critical impact points is a wise investment. Furthermore, if choosing an aftermarket roll cage, consider one that extends over the rear and down over the motor. Rollovers are common, but so is a nose-over-tail tipover"

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I would think of it as a true roll cage as well. Has a ROPS rating sticker. IMO.

P.S. Welcome to the club Bryant!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would think of it as a true roll cage as well. Has a ROPS rating sticker. IMO.

Agreed, though I hope to never find out!

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I thought they sent out a new sticker to some owners to put over top of the ROPS sticker stating it was not. I think a specification changed? There is a thread somewhere here.

Reactions: Rustell
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I thought they sent out a new sticker to some owners to put over top of the ROPS sticker stating it was not. I think a specification changed? There is a thread somewhere here.
The sticker they sent out was because it didn't meet rollover standards (top heavy) I don't think it had anything to do with the roll cage not meeting standards.

Reactions: webby and trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That was a general safety sticker claiming an underwriters testing standard. In the end, the P5 is too tippy and doesn't meet that national standard.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Sticker on rollcage
4ft off ground....drivers
side...
GVW.1,895 LBS
.....OSHA APPROVED. ....
the rest of sticker gone

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Go to saferproducts.gov and you'll find a plethora of incident reports on failed UTV roll cages. Or just google it and you'll see images and stories of them. Again, it depends on how and where you ride, whether you're a cautious driver or a thrill seeker and risk taker, etc.

B

BryantGaul

Jul 21, 2016
ohio
Ownership

1. 500

Thanks for the replys everyone. I have looked a saferproducts but can't seem to find a straight answer. For the trail riding I do I hope it's an actual roll cage and not just a canopy bar. Some steep hills to get to certain spots. Never been an issue yet, just looking to ease my mind when things get hairy.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks for the replys everyone. I have looked a saferproducts but can't seem to find a straight answer. For the trail riding I do I hope it's an actual roll cage and not just a canopy bar. Some steep hills to get to certain spots. Never been an issue yet, just looking to ease my mind when things get hairy.
Well in that case, perhaps you should wear a helmet when you're riding, and, if you're that concerned, please bear in mind that the P5 is a very tippy machine. Caution and extra care doesn't have to diminish your fun though.

B

BryantGaul

Jul 21, 2016
ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Well in that case, perhaps you should wear a helmet when you're riding, and, if you're that concerned, please bear in mind that the P5 is a very tippy machine. Caution and extra care doesn't have to diminish your fun though.

I agree on the tippy part for sure. Its been on its side 2 times now. I do wear a helmet just for the safe feeling, and the seat belt, (currently looking for 5 point harnesses) but there is that wonderment of weather or not it would just buckle if it was to roll down a hill.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I agree on the tippy part for sure. Its been on its side 2 times now. I do wear a helmet just for the safe feeling, and the seat belt, (currently looking for 5 point harnesses) but there is that wonderment of weather or not it would just buckle if it was to roll down a hill.
Good on you for that. You should have no trouble finding the harness. If your P5 tumbles down a hill, the ROPS will be destroyed, don't ever do that. ;) How many miles do you have on your P5?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I agree about the helmet. I carry two in the toolbox in lined bags. If I start getting into crazy cross slopes or just go into bombing mode, I'll stop and put it on. I've had the wife tell me to stop before because she wanted her helmet on. She gets a little uncomfortable with high speed cornering...
keeps me in check sometimes. ;)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I agree about the helmet. I carry two in the toolbox in lined bags. If I start getting into crazy cross slopes or just go into bombing mode, I'll stop and put it on. I've had the wife tell me to stop before because she wanted her helmet on. She gets a little uncomfortable with high speed cornering...
keeps me in check sometimes. ;)
Sounds like a good idea. You be careful out there too. What kind of lined bags??

B

BryantGaul

Jul 21, 2016
ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Good on you for that. You should have no trouble finding the harness. If your P5 tumbles down a hill, the ROPS will be destroyed, don't ever do that. ;) How many miles do you have on your P5?

100 miles, I figure the rops will be destroyed. Just curious if it would protect or not.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
100 miles, I figure the rops will be destroyed. Just curious if it would protect or not.
Protect from what, injury or death. In a roll over, you're better protected with Honda's roll cage than without it. Like airbags in cars, you have protection, but people still get hurt and killed. Be careful out there.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!