P500 roll cage?

V

Vic

Jul 24, 2016
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Does anyone know if the pioneer 500's roll cage is an actual roll cage or a canopy bar? Curious if it would actually protect in a roll over situation.
I rolled my p5 over on its roof at low speed from at height of 4 feet. The front top bar kinked in and slightly bent the front bars. I don't feel it would offer much protection in a rollover in 3rd gear or higher. Wear seat belt and helmet.

Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I rolled my p5 over on its roof at low speed from at height of 4 feet. The front top bar kinked in and slightly bent the front bars. I don't feel it would offer much protection in a rollover in 3rd gear or higher. Wear seat belt and helmet.
Exactly!

MrP500

MrP500

Aug 13, 2016
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500
Protect from what, injury or death. In a roll over, you're better protected with Honda's roll cage than without it. Like airbags in cars, you have protection, but people still get hurt and killed. Be careful out there.
I don't know if the rest of you have found this to be true but Honda's roll cage on the P5 gets caught on trees a lot while woods riding. It's either to high to make it under some trees or the pieces that go from front to back on each side get caught when the machine leans around a corner etc such as a berm near a tree.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I don't know if the rest of you have found this to be true but Honda's roll cage on the P5 gets caught on trees a lot while woods riding. It's either to high to make it under some trees or the pieces that go from front to back on each side get caught when the machine leans around a corner etc such as a berm near a tree.

Go through 3 more times
& you will be ok...
HaHa

Reactions: trigger and MrP500
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Absolutely, which is why I don't have a rear bumper or anything mounted to my roof.

Reactions: MrP500
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

The very first time I took mine out, took a banked curve with a tree on the inside corner.
Bounced right off it, left a scuff on the side of the roof. I just push it through, it'll take it.

Reactions: MrP500 and rocmar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yep, the P5 and its Honda roof will certainly take it, but nothing mounted on the roof will take the abuse mine gets. Ice storms bend young pines, say 25 footers over a trail like an arch, some times there's dozens to go under. Sometimes the chainsaw has to come out. But usually that nicely sloping Honda roof will lift the tree and she'll slide right under it. Any kind of light bar, roof mounted windshield etc., would be history.

MrP500

MrP500

Aug 13, 2016
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500
The very first time I took mine out, took a banked curve with a tree on the inside corner.
Bounced right off it, left a scuff on the side of the roof. I just push it through, it'll take it.
Thanks Trigger, maybe I'll try to be a little more aggressive with it. Just didn't want to bend or break anything.

MrP500

MrP500

Aug 13, 2016
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500
Yep, the P5 and its Honda roof will certainly take it, but nothing mounted on the roof will take the abuse mine gets. Ice storms bend young pines, say 25 footers over a trail like an arch, some times there's dozens to go under. Sometimes the chainsaw has to come out. But usually that nicely sloping Honda roof will lift the tree and she'll slide right under it. Any kind of light bar, roof mounted windshield etc., would be history.
I have the soft top on mine and try not to subject it to a lot of abuse. I don't want to poke a hole in it. I do carry a small fold up hand saw with me. It does come in handy at times.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have the soft top on mine and try not to subject it to a lot of abuse. I don't want to poke a hole in it. I do carry a small fold up hand saw with me. It does come in handy at times.
Yes indeed. I had a soft top, they are nice and look good but won't hold up in the terrain which I ride in. If yours ever does wear out and you go for the Honda hard top, you'll find it indestructible.

Last edited:
advertisement
MrP500

MrP500

Aug 13, 2016
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500
Yes indeed. I had a sof top, they are nice and look good but won't hold up in the terrain which I ride in. If yours ever does wear out and you go for the Honda hard top, you'll find it indestructible.
Do you have to take the Honda hard roof off when towing on the highway? It's recommended to take off the soft top, which I do.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Do you have to take the Honda hard roof off when towing on the highway? It's recommended to take off the soft top, which I do.
No, not at all. You just need to inspect the QRC's occasionally, I've seen one vibrate loose before.

Reactions: trigger and MrP500
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, I'd tear up a soft top I think. They sure look nice though.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!