BOX1

P1000 Rough Country Shocks

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man, I can't believe you used WHITE zip ties!! NOBODY uses white zip ties!! :oops:🤣

Wish I'd have seen these shocks before I bought the Elka's... Now I like the Elka's, don't get me wrong, but these suckers would likely have filled my bill for FAR LESS $$$!!
I'll be interested to see how you like them after you've had them a while... I know about West Texas Desert country... Had the Moody Ranch Leased for 31 years until Mr. Moody died and the family sold the ranch... I'm down south now in SE Webb County, much less rock, but WAY more thorns and cactus!!

T

tiogajoe

Aug 21, 2013
My machine bottoms out so easily on the front end. I have the JEI front bumper, Warn 55 Axon winch, Dual battery setup, etc so a lot of extra weight up front. Even if these just have a bit stiffer spring and some actual damping, they would be well worth the money. I'm not a high speed rider, I just don't want to bottom out on every little bump
Progressive rate springs. 250lbs front and 270lbs rear.

C

ChrisCrockett

Oct 2, 2018
West Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So after this weekend of banging on the rocks it rides better than before but not like a Cadillac. Seeing these cost the same as factory replacements but you can raise the height not a bad purchase. Overall I am not disappointed in the shocks. I think something like the 814’s would be better as they are more adjustable.
DBFCAAEC 948A 4FA2 B430 DB87B872512A
D5BC2EA5 A3A8 4F5A BAD4 38151DC4C054
DBFCAAEC 948A 4FA2 B430 DB87B872512A
D5BC2EA5 A3A8 4F5A BAD4 38151DC4C054

These are what my roads look like. I put 650lbs of corn in the bed and it barely squatted the p1k.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So after this weekend of banging on the rocks it rides better than before but not like a Cadillac. Seeing these cost the same as factory replacements but you can raise the height not a bad purchase. Overall I am not disappointed in the shocks. I think something like the 814’s would be better as they are more adjustable. View attachment 356862View attachment 356863View attachment 356862View attachment 356863
These are what my roads look like. I put 650lbs of corn in the bed and it barely squatted the p1k.
So how much preload/lift do you have on them?

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So after this weekend of banging on the rocks it rides better than before but not like a Cadillac. Seeing these cost the same as factory replacements but you can raise the height not a bad purchase. Overall I am not disappointed in the shocks. I think something like the 814’s would be better as they are more adjustable. View attachment 356862View attachment 356863View attachment 356862View attachment 356863
So your saying there an improvement over stock but marginal at best Compared to others for the cost?

C

Chucker06

Oct 23, 2022
Florida
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I am a big RC fan. Back in the day they were beyond garbage and I wouldn’t have them anywhere near my vehicles. But in the past I would say five years they have really stepped up their game. I have a 6 inch long arm kit on my 2006 Jeep LJ Rubicon, I also have the 4 inch kit on my other 06 Jeep LJ (yes I have 2, will probably be selling one of them soon) I have a 6 inch on my 2021 Ram 1500 and am very pleased with the fit and finish and ride. I have tried all kinds of setups from Readylift to BDS all the way up to big dollar custom tuned Carli setups on my since sold 2016 F250. I spent an unjustifiable amount of money on that setup in search for the best ride and came away disappointed.

If and when RC comes out with something for the 1000-6 I will definitely give it a shot!

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I made the plunge and bought a set of Rough Country M1 shocks. Finished installing today.

Lets face it, I am a cheapskate and turning loose of $1500 - $2500 for a set of shocks for a "Non-Race" vehicle just was not going to happen. The original shocks on the PIONEER are extremely stiff and harsh over sharp edged bumps and on rocky terrain. They feel like they are over-damping the low rate springs with excessive low and high speed compression damping. They also seem to be very weak in rebound. Many people add more preload to gain ride height and this just makes the situation worse. These are just my professional opinions.

After installing the M1's front and rear, I set the spring preload to maintain my previously measured static ride height AND to also give 1 inch of loaded sag. The springs on the M1's took very little preload to arrive at this setting. Even this low preload left the spring itself able to maintain ride height. This means that I have a fairly high spring rate at a very low preload, which I consider a positive for ride quality. I did not need to use the available preload of these shocks to gain ride height, since I have a STORNGMADE Lift kit installed. Adding spring preload to gain ride height is the least desirable option for me. My "before" and "after" static ride heights were virtually unchanged.

My first riding impression is that these dampers, springs and adjustments have improved the ride specifically on the rougher terrain. It seems more "plush" (if that term can be applied to a PIONEER). We will need to go out and test more extensively on some of our favorite trails in order to see if this initial impression holds up after a long ride. (YES! I know it needs a bath!)

IMG 2266 IMG 2265 IMG 2264

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys. I'm thinking of upgrading my a-arms and shocks. Possibly Texas tough or C-fab.
Question: If you had to do it all over again would you upgrade to the Elka, Fox, or WE ?
I have fox shocks and highifter arms currently and I will be upgrading to c fab arms soon. I am not sure if anyone has compared rough country shocks to others yet. The rough country are fairly new. I would bet if enough people get them between now and the 2023 takeover I am sure there will be plenty of people gathered together for comparison.

Here are my opinions on the control arms.

If you plan on a stock height vehicle then go SuperATV or High Lifter. The later is typically cheaper.

If you want a lift go with c-fab

If you ever want portals go Texas tough.

I think most people will agree with my recommendations.

Shocks are always like food. Someone somewhere makes a great briscut that others will find wonderful and some know better.

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!