Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 2014 700 just started running like crap. Symptoms are like the baffle issue... runs good to 1/4 throttle... so I pulled the muffler real quick and it kept doing it. Anyone have any luck testing it that way? Also....it was low on gas so I added a couple gallons and a bottle of heet just in case.

Reactions: bdk437
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Have you made any changes lately? Especially changes that you thought wouldn't make a difference?

Reactions: Tflynn
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Nope. I was spraying weeds.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
does the exhaust smell rich or do you have a lean bog / pop?

Reactions: Farmer
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
It bogs. I thought it was out of gas at 1st. Exhaust smells normal. I didn't run it more than a couple of revs with the pipe separated. Wonder if I should try it again? Or try disconnecting the battery to reset the comp?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did you check your air filter? Could have maybe sucked up a leaf or plastic bag that is severely blocking airflow?

I'm assuming the change was immediate rather than gradually. If we are ruling out a broken baffle and airflow is not restricted my next guess is an electrical issue. Any check engine codes? Maybe do a once over and verify all wires are intact and sensors are plugged in properly. Unhooking the battery and doing a reset never hurts.

I wonder could your fuel injector be clogged? Just thinking out loud, hope something I said is useful!

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did you check your air filter? Could have maybe sucked up a leaf or plastic bag that is severely blocking airflow?

I'm assuming the change was immediate rather than gradually. If we are ruling out a broken baffle and airflow is not restricted my next guess is an electrical issue. Any check engine codes? Maybe do a once over and verify all wires are intact and sensors are plugged in properly. Unhooking the battery and doing a reset never hurts.

I wonder could your fuel injector be clogged? Just thinking out loud, hope something I said is useful!
Yeah, I checked the air cleaner. Even ran it with the cover off. It was at the low line for coolant so I topped that off. The only indicator is the 600 mile 1+wrench.
Unhooked the negative battery for about 20 mins. I'll call the dealer in the morning.

What was the deal with cams someone posted about a while back?

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm assuming the change was immediate rather than gradually. !

Not 100% on that one. I was spraying from fence post to fence post basically at an idle. When I turned and accelerated to go back is when it started sputtering. You might be on to some thing with the injector.

Reactions: Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not 100% on that one. I was spraying from fence post to fence post basically at an idle. When I turned and accelerated to go back is when it started sputtering. You might be on to some thing with the injector.
So it changed during operation on the last ride, not while sitting and not over weeks or months. Just out of curiosity and maybe you've already tried this, but does it still do it after the engine has completely cooled down?

Rocky Mountain has an injector cleaning tool for the pioneer 700

Motion Pro Fuel Injector Cleaner Kit - Nippon Denso | UTV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

I don't recall reading anything about a cam issue

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
So it changed during operation on the last ride, not while sitting and not over weeks or months. Just out of curiosity and maybe you've already tried this, but does it still do it after the engine has completely cooled down?

Rocky Mountain has an injector cleaning tool for the pioneer 700

Motion Pro Fuel Injector Cleaner Kit - Nippon Denso | UTV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

I don't recall reading anything about a cam issue
Yep.. it's been used daily and it ran fine earlier in the day.

Cooling it off has no effect.

I really wish I had more time before my trip on Friday or I'd order the cleaner and a muffler. Maybe even go dig into the fuel filter..wherever that is. Dealers scare me. Lol!

Reactions: Tflynn and trigger
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yep.. it's been used daily and it ran fine earlier in the day.

Cooling it off has no effect.

I really wish I had more time before my trip on Friday or I'd order the cleaner and a muffler. Maybe even go dig into the fuel filter..wherever that is. Dealers scare me. Lol!
Fuel filter is in the tank and supposedly self cleaning. I actually heard a story once about a tractor that had similar problems as what you describe. They replaced all injectors and the injection pump, still had problems. They went in the tank to change the in tank filter and found a leaf had blown in there and every time it went to draw fuel it sucked the leaf up which blocked the flow. Not saying that's what happened to your machine but you just never know...

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Cam went out. He said the intake lobe was almost completely flat. They have been doing alot of these going all the way back to the wheelers and Big Red. They say only machines that do a lot of cold starts. In other words 95% of my use. So if you're using it around the farm expect to buy an $800 cam soon. My 2014 went out at 685 miles this week. No help from Honda. And to think that buying a Honda was reason enough to not need an extended warranty. My Honda pride took a real shot to the nuts this week.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I feel like I have three options here...
1. Keep buying cams
2. Trade up to a 1000 with the mystery clutch problem.
3. Dump a lifetime of pruduct loyalty for a rubber band brand.

You guys have any ideas?

Reactions: JTW
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I feel like I have three options here...
1. Keep buying cams
2. Trade up to a 1000 with the mystery clutch problem.
3. Dump a lifetime of pruduct loyalty for a rubber band brand.

You guys have any ideas?

Has the cam been updated? Could a better oil help? I would get more info about your current vehicle before you make a decision.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Has the cam been updated? Could a better oil help? I would get more info about your current vehicle before you make a decision.
Just got back. Part number has been updated but time will only tell. They said I could "try" synthetic but no guarantees. I talked to 3 employees there and they all said the same thing....the 2014's just started coming in for this. The Big Reds and the wheelers have been dealing with same problem for years. That dealer has done 6 pioneers in recent weeks. I'll try to post a pic later. I'm getting behind on prepping for Canada.

Reactions: joeymt33
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Oh yeah...they said mine was the earliest at 685 miles total.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Man that's terrible. I know it's hard to hear all that from the dealer, but I wouldn't give up on the 700 yet. I've got over 5000 miles on mine and I know a few others do too. I use synthetic oil too. I own, as do many of my friends, Honda four wheelers with thousands of miles. I've never heard of a cam issue like your dealer is suggesting, ever.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
When you bought The machine did you switch immediately to synthetic oil?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!