GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Cam went out. He said the intake lobe was almost completely flat. They have been doing alot of these going all the way back to the wheelers and Big Red. They say only machines that do a lot of cold starts. In other words 95% of my use. So if you're using it around the farm expect to buy an $800 cam soon. My 2014 went out at 685 miles this week. No help from Honda. And to think that buying a Honda was reason enough to not need an extended warranty. My Honda pride took a real shot to the nuts this week.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I here ya on the Honda pride.
The only Honda 700 in my circle is owned by a previous Polaris owner and bought a Honda because of there track record of making reliable products, well it ate two cams already and the only reason he still has it is because of his good treatment from the dealer.
He said if it goes into the shop one more time it is GONE!

Reactions: JTW and Farmer
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well before I lose my Honda pride I'm going to have to here of a lot more of this problem happening. Cams do go bad....But most of the time it's due to something else or lack of proper lubricant at break in.I wouldn't exspect this at 685 miles or 3 years old.Im sorry you had this Issue Farmer. But I'm not buying the cold start BS they gave you.

Reactions: JTW and Tflynn
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Not immediately, probably on the 3rd oil change.
I meant the thread starter........No you Mr.Flynn broke in the Honda engine correctly

Reactions: Tflynn
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well before I lose my Honda pride I'm going to have to here of a lot more of this problem happening. Cams do go bad....But most of the time it's due to something else or lack of proper lubricant at break in.I wouldn't exspect this at 685 miles or 3 years old.Im sorry you had this Issue Farmer. But I'm not buying the cold start BS they gave you.
Break in was according to manual. I'm picky about that stuff.

Reactions: swsebek
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just got back from fishing. Here's some pics... D6423c254b359c8e3f785daabc88cad598f6cda86c948ca607e4479c6423fed5E720fd6f99030cf4c871d7525bddece4

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Damn I hate to see that. Looking at it, I just wonder is the cam the problem? Or the result of another problem like lack of lubrication?

Reactions: JTW and swsebek
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Damn I hate to see that. Looking at it, I just wonder is the cam the problem? Or the result of another problem like lack of lubrication?

No one was very clear exactly. I guess the two things they said are related. Short runs/starts,stops and lubrication. It could be bad hardening process on those particular cams. They said it has a hardened surface and once that's gone the lobes go quick. Who knows? Until Honda owns up to it, it's only speculation.

For now I'm gonna stick with it, drive it the same, and hope the new part number solves the problem.

I'm going back through the break in procedure and then I'll switch over to synthetic.

Reactions: Tflynn and swsebek
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I here ya on the Honda pride.
The only Honda 700 in my circle is owned by a previous Polaris owner and bought a Honda because of there track record of making reliable products, well it ate two cams already and the only reason he still has it is because of his good treatment from the dealer.
He said if it goes into the shop one more time it is GONE!
What year is it?

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
No one was very clear exactly. I guess the two things they said are related. Short runs/starts,stops and lubrication. It could be bad hardening process on those particular cams. They said it has a hardened surface and once that's gone the lobes go quick. Who knows? Until Honda owns up to it, it's only speculation.

For now I'm gonna stick with it, drive it the same, and hope the new part number solves the problem.

I'm going back through the break in procedure and then I'll switch over to synthetic.

I read about that back when I first got my Honda Rincon back in 2007'ish.

At the time I think it was related to how the oil was delivered to the cam and having something to do with a chain or a oil passage and the orientation of the machine, maybe? I don't remember for sure. I thought they had fixed it though. Even then, I didn't think it was a terribly common problem though, from what I remember.

Might want to do some searching around on Rincon forums and see if there is a fix or a work around there since it is the same design.

Sorry for your problems. :(

Reactions: Farmer
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I read about that back when I first got my Honda Rincon back in 2007'ish.

At the time I think it was related to how the oil was delivered to the cam and having something to do with a chain or a oil passage and the orientation of the machine, maybe? I don't remember for sure. I thought they had fixed it though. Even then, I didn't think it was a terribly common problem though, from what I remember.

Might want to do some searching around on Rincon forums and see if there is a fix or a work around there since it is the same design.

Sorry for your problems. :(
2007? You'd think they would have figured it out by 2014. Right?

Reactions: elkguide
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
What year is it?

It is a 2015
I had my times mixed up the first cam started giving trouble in about month 11 Honda fixed it under warranty the next one crapped out in 5 more months so it was out of the one year warranty and Honda took his top end and gave him a new one for free, but he had to pay labor.
Ross Power Sports where he bought it new installed it for free.

Reactions: elkguide
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It is a 2015
I had my times mixed up the first cam started giving trouble in about month 11 Honda fixed it under warranty the next one crapped out in 5 more months so it was out of the one year warranty and Honda took his top end and gave him a new one for free, but he had to pay labor.
Ross Power Sports where he bought it new installed it for free.

A good dealer is worth a lot!

Most of the new oils are not great today so I switch every engine I own (except small tools) to synthetic soon after break in.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
A good dealer is worth a lot!

Most of the new oils are not great today so I switch every engine I own (except small tools) to synthetic soon after break in.

+1 for the dealer
But down time is down time

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
I have 350 hours and 2000 miles on mine. The first winter I had it the oil level was rising. Took it the dealer to see if fuel was leaking by and they said no. Changed the oil, 4.5 quarts came out. Did some research and figure all the cold starts in the winter was causing condensation to get in the oil. I only use synthetic oil and change more often in winter. I also run it on the trails in the winter to burn the condensation out of it now. No problems with it and gets started up to a dozen times a day as I use it on the farm. So if you live in a cold climate, make a lot of short trips in winter, use synthetic, and run it long enough to heat up the oil well.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
On a side note...the starter cranks way faster than it ever did.

Get your tailgate to lay flat by ordering new cables here... Longer Tailgate Cables For Honda Pioneer 700 & 1000

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!