P1000 running rough and back firing

J

Johnnyairtime

Oct 5, 2019
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good day folks...

I found this thread, when I was researching my same/similar issue.

Drove the P1000-3 on my property as I always do... 15 minutes later (after shutting it off, restarting and driving along), it falls on it's face. No power, barely idling, and when put in gear it won't go. Either the clutches won't engage, or when they do... it dies.

After reading about the 1000 issues. I did the following;
- checked the fuel injector leads and associated wiring/crimps (good and solid)
- pulled the coil wires, to see if I could find if it was a bad coil (seemed to be the front plug's coil or plug)
- pulled the spark arrestor, and ran it without (same issues with it out of the muffler)
- pulled the plugs, and checked spark on each plug/coil. (nice spark)
- pulled the battery positive, and let it sit. Reconnected, and still ran like crap.

I'm at a bit of a loss, and I don't want to start throwing money at it just yet.

It'll run, but pop and sputter. Seems to only be running on one cylinder. I thought to also try and swap coils and actually did at one point, but only the wiring. Uhm... probably not a good idea, as it seemed each coil is timed with the cam?! It didn't like that. SO, maybe I'll still try and swap coils, swap plugs, and see if the problem follows the coils or the plugs. But, after I did the above, and they both have a good solid strong spark... I figured they're "good". What do ya'all think????

HELP!!! ;)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good day folks...

Drove the P1000-3 on my property as I always do... 15 minutes later (after shutting it off, restarting and driving along), it falls on it's face. No power, barely idling, and when put in gear it won't go. Either the clutches won't engage, or when they do... it dies.

- pulled the coil wires, to see if I could find if it was a bad coil (seemed to be the front plug's coil or plug)
- pulled the spark arrestor, and ran it without (same issues with it out of the muffler)
- pulled the battery positive, and let it sit. Reconnected, and still ran like crap.

I'm at a bit of a loss, and I don't want to start throwing money at it just yet.

It'll run, but pop and sputter. Seems to only be running on one cylinder. I thought to also try and swap coils and actually did at one point, but only the wiring. Uhm... probably not a good idea, as it seemed each coil is timed with the cam?! It didn't like that. SO, maybe I'll still try and swap coils, swap plugs, and see if the problem follows the coils or the plugs. But, after I did the above, and they both have a good solid strong spark... I figured they're "good". What do ya'all think????

HELP!!! ;)
May sound dumb? What about the gas? Water?

J

Johnnyairtime

Oct 5, 2019
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not dumb at all... but, it's good gas and nearly full.
Nice sunny day of 70° and running fine minutes before it didn't.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Not dumb at all... but, it's good gas and nearly full.
Nice sunny day of 70° and running fine minutes before it didn't.
I been hearing of water in gas lately? Siphon all the gas out that you can get out into a bucket and look for separation, dark spots in the bottom of the bucket (water) go to a different station, gas up, add a little fuel stabilizer and run?

Reactions: snuffnwhisky
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Good day folks...

HELP!!! ;)
Feel or use an IR gun on each header pipe coming out of the head for a cool one after cranking from cold. That should narrow down which cylinder if its a fuel or fire issue.

Reactions: TripleB
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Feel or use an IR gun on each header pipe coming out of the head for a cool one after cranking from cold. That should narrow down which cylinder if its a fuel or fire issue.
The wizard has spoken, way to simple!

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Like @Smitty335 said, could be water. Without a tank vent extension, water can build up in the frame rail where the stock vent goes in it and get in the tank.

J

Johnnyairtime

Oct 5, 2019
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Folks...

It's NOT water in the fuel. Trust me on this one. Again, thanks for thinking outside the box... but, it's not water. Kill that thought. ;)

I'll use my IR gun, but even if I find out what cylinder it is... then what?! Shouldn't have my spark plug 'test' for spark, shown it's not the coil pack or the plug? And it must be... fuel or electrical for that cylinder?!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Folks...

It's NOT water in the fuel. Trust me on this one. Again, thanks for thinking outside the box... but, it's not water. Kill that thought. ;)

I'll use my IR gun, but even if I find out what cylinder it is... then what?! Shouldn't have my spark plug 'test' for spark, shown it's not the coil pack or the plug? And it must be... fuel or electrical for that cylinder?!
U dont have to ride in water for it to be water in your tank.

J

Johnnyairtime

Oct 5, 2019
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
U dont have to ride in water for it to be water in your tank.
.... LOL, I know.

I know you don't know my background, or knowledge base... but, without boasting... I get it. I'm not an idiot. ;)

advertisement
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Rain water will get in the tank without an extension or reroute. Pioneers do foul plugs. Pretty common and there's nothing visual to see it, spark doesnt matter when viewing outside of the machine. Also a bad plug will screw u swapping coil packs troubleshooting. Narrow down which cylinder if it is just one first. If so, it a fuel or fire issue. Most common are bad spark plug and injector connector. If its a spark plug, much better off replacing than trying to clean.

J

Johnnyairtime

Oct 5, 2019
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Rain water will get in the tank without an extension or reroute. Pioneers do foul plugs. Pretty common and there's nothing visual to see it, spark doesnt matter when viewing outside of the machine. Also a bad plug will screw u swapping coil packs troubleshooting. Narrow down which cylinder if it is just one first. If so, it a fuel or fire issue. Most common are bad spark plug and injector connector. If its a spark plug, much better off replacing than trying to clean.

Doesn't really get driven in the rain or when it's too wet outside, is stored inside my shop, and hasn't been washed but maybe once since I bought it 3yrs ago. I freshen up the fuel at the same time I do my generators, tractors or after a 'desert trip' in the RV. Which is quite often, and usually 'Premium" unleaded.

BUT, just to be 100% sure... I'll drain ALL the fuel out this AM, and put in some fresh. I mean, it's easy enough to do... might as well satisfy the check off list of one of the things it 'could' be.

While I wash/clean my wife's YXZ this AM, she's headed to the local retailer to buy a set of plugs. We live in the mtns, so... it's a 50min drive one way.

I hope it's as simple as those plugs.... I need this thing running asap. I use it to haul our 4yrd trash bin (with a tow bar) up to the street. This is when it died, so our trash will get stinky this week. I also have to spray weed killer, and haul a 45gal sprayer in the bed. That was on my list for today. It gets used almost daily... and I'm quickly learning how valuable it is. From hauling wood, to doing daily runs around the property as I'm tired of walking back and forth (and it makes me lazy!).

(taking the trash bin up to the street)
2019 12 26 095233

(morning coffee down by our creek - 400ft down from the house)
2017 01 06 082351

(my wood hauler)
2017 01 18 075911

Ehhh... you get the idea. :)

Last edited:
J

Johnnyairtime

Oct 5, 2019
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
UPDATE....

Hallelujah!!!! It was my spark plug(s). I'm so pumped, that it was something sooo easy!!!

New plugs, and it runs like it's new. ;)

Thanks for all of your ideas, and help!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!