Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
This is why you bought that fancy jump starter.

Exactly! I'm not worried about draining the battery sitting around listening to music around the campfire, all of my accessories are ran off of the key to avoid that dumb sh** anyway. That's why they make boom boxes.
I'm trying to avoid over drawing the stator with too much running at the same time. Not that I would make a habit of that either, but that's the only time I should be drawing from the battery other than starting. I just want a bigger battery really. Adding a second in parallel is the easier alternative.
With short runs of fat cable and good connections, hooking to a heavy bus bar may generate less resistance and better flow of current than these isolators do?

J

JTW

Exactly! I'm not worried about draining the battery sitting around listening to music around the campfire, all of my accessories are ran off of the key to avoid that dumb sh** anyway. That's why they make boom boxes.
I'm trying to avoid over drawing the stator with too much running at the same time. Not that I would make a habit of that either, but that's the only time I should be drawing from the battery other than starting. I just want a bigger battery really. Adding a second in parallel is the easier alternative.
With short runs of fat cable and good connections, hooking to a heavy bus bar may generate less resistance and better flow of current than these isolators do?
Go for it!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You are correct in that this is wired in parallel. The main issue gets technical. All the wiring needs to be large enough to handle the current draw due to voltage drop.
This is true, not such a problem in high voltage like we have in our homes, but low voltage drops quickly as it travels. We don't want to see P5's start burning up like RZR's.

Reactions: trigger
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is true, not such a problem in high voltage like we have in our homes, but low voltage drops quickly as it travels. We don't want to see P5's start burning up like RZR's.

Circuit breaker
95a11187c3f92452385213124ca96673

@trigger
On the 1000 you want to keep your primary battery voltage safely above 12v the "TRUE" ISO breaks the connection to the secondary if the primary's voltage is less than 12.7, it WORKS my secondary 55ahr Optima quickly dropped to low in the 10v range when winching someone out of a hole. A winch can draw 300 amps the stator can only put out 46amps at full output. Never be able to keep up, but it can recharge it once the primary hits 12.8 volts.

The 700/500 only have a 32amp output

On the 500 that won't make a difference, BUT the factory battery is not designed to be deep cycled, you drain it deep several times it's gonna die, did that on my 700 TWICE second time I put a yellowtop Optima under the seat which is designed for deep fast discharges like when winching, voltage would drop when winching but it'd quickly get a near full recharge with a half hour of riding.

Lithiums are not designed for deep cycles so while they are smaller and pack more power, can let it go faster, winching is not their designed use, no manufacturer will warranty them.

I have my battery tender hooked to my primary battery whenever it's parked, when it hits 12.8 it starts charging both batteries and they stay right at 13-13.2 v consistently with the motor off. Powersports batteries are such a small capacity a small
parasitic drain can fully discharge one in 4-5 days, causing permanent damage. At $100+ per battery you learn(my first battery on my 700 I killed with the memory drain from a crap radio in a week)

Optima is heavy and takes up room but, for how I use my machine it made sense. I can't put the Honda heater or the storage under there but I needed more juice, I use my winch. I'll get a heater and put it in the cab against the "fire....wall?" Only be a small child in the front middle so it shouldn't be in the way.

Doesn't fit everyone's needs but sometimes having all the info and taking into account your use, wants, needs, then weighting them out allows you to make the most educated decision(or in my case S.W.A.G.) you can.

Reactions: trigger and JTW
J

JTW

Circuit breaker

@trigger
On the 1000 you want to keep your primary battery voltage safely above 12v the "TRUE" ISO breaks the connection to the secondary if the primary's voltage is less than 12.7, it WORKS my secondary 55ahr Optima quickly dropped to low in the 10v range when winching someone out of a hole. A winch can draw 300 amps the stator can only put out 46amps at full output. Never be able to keep up, but it can recharge it once the primary hits 12.8 volts.

On the 500 that won't make a difference, BUT the factory battery is not designed to be deep cycled, you drain it deep several times it's gonna die, did that on my 700 TWICE second time I put a yellowtop Optima under the seat which is designed for deep fast discharges like when winching, voltage would drop when winching but it'd quickly get a near full recharge with a half hour of riding.

Lithiums are not designed for deep cycles so while they are smaller and pack more power, can let it go faster, winching is not their designed use, no manufacturer will warranty them.

I have my battery tender hooked to my primary battery whenever it's parked, when it hits 12.8 it starts charging both batteries and they stay right at 13-13.2 v consistently with the motor off. Powersports batteries are such a small capacity a small
parasitic drain can fully discharge one in 4-5 days, causing permanent damage. At $100+ per battery you learn(my first battery on my 700 I killed with the memory drain from a crap radio in a week)

Optima is heavy and takes up room but, for how I use my machine it made sense. I can't put the Honda heater or the storage under there but I needed more juice, I use my winch. I'll get a heater and put it in the cab against the "fire....wall?" Only be a small child in the front middle so it shouldn't be in the way.

Doesn't fit everyone's needs but sometimes having all the info and taking into account your use, wants, needs, then weighting them out allows you to make the most educated decision(or in my case S.W.A.G.) you can.
Well said.. you should be a moderator or something!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Circuit breaker

@trigger

Yes, I have three of them on my P5. However, they don't serve as an alternative to properly sized wire. And my second battery is a deep cycle battery with three times the AH as the stock. If the dual battery set up is wired right, you're always cranking with the stock battery that has higher cca's.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I have three of them on my P5. However, they don't serve as an alternative to properly sized wire. And my second battery is a deep cycle battery with three times the AH as the stock. If the dual battery set up is wired right, you're always cranking with the stock battery that has higher cca's.

No Absolutely correct a breaker is NOT!!!!! an alternative to properly sized wire. Safety measure incase something goes wrong, so you don't look like a flaming popo and out $$$$$$ while stuck in the woods somewhere.

Reactions: Montecresto and JTW
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Circuit breaker

@trigger

Now there's the educated answer I was looking for! I just needed a viable argument to my theory, other than that's what everyone else does. Thank you for that reply.

Reactions: ohanacreek
advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks.. just a lot of reading and questioning of those that went before! No need to make your own mistakes if you listen to others who've been there and done that.

I agree, there is a lot of redundancy going through the forum now. Especially with the 500's, for the most part, it's all been done. I wasn't questioning how to do it with this thread, more of a why.
With more of this redundancy occurring, I see new members ask questions about the simple stuff and no one wants to answer. Probably because the subject has been beat to death. We need to be more mindful of this with the newer guys.
What's even worse though, you give them their answer including brand, part number and price, based on all the research and investigating you did a long time ago. Then they post later, not to say thanks but, with a whole write up and review of it like it was their idea. o_O
This forum is all about HBO (help a brother out). The brother that doesn't give a simple thanks, doesn't get helped out again! ;)

J

JTW

I agree, there is a lot of redundancy going through the forum now. Especially with the 500's, for the most part, it's all been done. I wasn't questioning how to do it with this thread, more of a why.
With more of this redundancy occurring, I see new members ask questions about the simple stuff and no one wants to answer. Probably because the subject has been beat to death. We need to be more mindful of this with the newer guys.
What's even worse though, you give them their answer including brand, part number and price, based on all the research and investigating you did a long time ago. Then they post later, not to say thanks but, with a whole write up and review of it like it was their idea. o_O
This forum is all about HBO (help a brother out). The brother that doesn't give a simple thanks, doesn't get helped out again! ;)
Well I think you should just load the trailer with deep cells and solar panels and be a pioneer with a mobile, off road power station!

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Totally Agree trig.....

Reactions: trigger and JTW
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Noticed that alot...
it's all good...

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!