P1000 Second ride in, buyers remorse gone, but the seatbelts must be addressed

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a little buyers remorse as to whether or not I should have gone with the Talon over the P1K5. That's all gone, the Pioneer crushed it yesterday. Got a little lost on a snow ride, one kid fell through the ice into a beaver pond (only knee deep but filled boots with water), the rest of the kids started getting cold and I got kicked out of the pioneer, wife ended up driving with all the kids and I had to take my brothers ATV back. Funny how quick buyers remorse disappears when your riding behind your machine wishing you were in it. Oh well, someone had to take one for the team. Everyone made it back to the car happy, even the kid with my jacket wrapped around his bare feet.

That said, the seatbelts are pissing me off. Second ride, second crying kid about the seatbelts tightening up causing abdominal pain. Posted this up on facebook but didn't really get any great answers. I've put in seat cushions and that helped. I'm not going to 4 point harnesses, I just don't ride hard enough and there is way too much musical chairs to make that work, but the "slide to release" latch has got to be addressed. I hate it, my wife hates it, the kids hate it, it just isn't working.

I am under the assumption that the shoulder harness will lock in a wreck or a rollover like car seatbelts but haven't had the "opportunity" to test that yet. Can anyone confirm that is the case? If so are you guys cutting that thing off, adding a stop to prevent the shoulder harness from retracting,...? Can't imagine I am the only one with this issue.

Understand Honda covering their ass, but the belts are the only thing I don't like about this machine at this point.

F

fsk1290

Oct 30, 2020
Grant, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just lock them behind you and sit in front of them. I only put on my belt when sketchy stuff is about to happen.

Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My kids stay buckled up all the time. at first they did the same thing its too tight its hurting me, once or twice of me showing them how to release the pressure they figured it out . now they adjust while there bucket up.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Had a little buyers remorse as to whether or not I should have gone with the Talon over the P1K5. That's all gone, the Pioneer crushed it yesterday. Got a little lost on a snow ride, one kid fell through the ice into a beaver pond (only knee deep but filled boots with water), the rest of the kids started getting cold and I got kicked out of the pioneer, wife ended up driving with all the kids and I had to take my brothers ATV back. Funny how quick buyers remorse disappears when your riding behind your machine wishing you were in it. Oh well, someone had to take one for the team. Everyone made it back to the car happy, even the kid with my jacket wrapped around his bare feet.

That said, the seatbelts are pissing me off. Second ride, second crying kid about the seatbelts tightening up causing abdominal pain. Posted this up on facebook but didn't really get any great answers. I've put in seat cushions and that helped. I'm not going to 4 point harnesses, I just don't ride hard enough and there is way too much musical chairs to make that work, but the "slide to release" latch has got to be addressed. I hate it, my wife hates it, the kids hate it, it just isn't working.
View attachment 252149
I am under the assumption that the shoulder harness will lock in a wreck or a rollover like car seatbelts but haven't had the "opportunity" to test that yet. Can anyone confirm that is the case? If so are you guys cutting that thing off, adding a stop to prevent the shoulder harness from retracting,...? Can't imagine I am the only one with this issue.

Understand Honda covering their ass, but the belts are the only thing I don't like about this machine at this point.
Yeah I'm with you on that, they SUCK!!!
But........I really don't wear mine, mostly for that reason, it starts to choke me and I just end up taking it off. Might try to find a solution to that now that's its fresh in my mind again 😄

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think for now I am going to safety wire that latch toward the buckle for a ride and see how it works. If it fixes the problem I'm just going to cut them off. My wife has a hard enough time getting that thing to release, can't imagine trying to explain it to a 4 year old.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think for now I am going to safety wire that latch toward the buckle for a ride and see how it works. If it fixes the problem I'm just going to cut them off. My wife has a hard enough time getting that thing to release, can't imagine trying to explain it to a 4 year old.
I used to sound just like you guy's, until 1-2-17, headed out to our families cabin to do some riding with trailer and S x S driving my favorite truck of all time, running 50 mph around a blind corner and a kid hits me head on broad side, seat belts and 12 air bags are why I'm here today, quit b****in and just wear those uncomfortable seat belts!

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I used to sound just like you guy's, until 1-2-17, headed out to our families cabin to do some riding with trailer and S x S driving my favorite truck of all time, running 50 mph around a blind corner and a kid hits me head on broad side, seat belts and 12 air bags are why I'm here today, quit b****in and just wear those uncomfortable seat belts!
Let me reiterate/clarify for Sir Smitty, I always wear a seat belt in my truck/car etc. We're talking about our SXS here Kernel!!! For me personally, most of my trail riding is about 10 mph on mostly flat muddy/wet trails (no real need for seatbelts, but kiddos always have them on regardless)
When we ride in the mountains and such, then yes......seat belts are on and sometimes helmets too.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I cut my plastic retainer off after the first hour of owning it.
About a year later I replaced them all with 4 point harnesses and now 5 point 3” harnesses.

it’s a sickness I guess.

advertisement
B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

In case you haven't read the entire post let me clarify, I have no intention of not wearing my seatbelt. I have every intention of making the seatbelt usable so my kids are not crying. I bought the machine because I was looking for added safety over a quad with the amount of trail traffic that has increased over the last few years. Not one vehicle I have ever owned has got a stupid locking mechanism on the lap belt, they are 100% on the shoulder harness. In a crash the shoulder harness locks and thus the lap belt. The lap belt locking feature is overly redundant and specifically what I am trying to address.

As far as safety belts go, I was a forensic engineer in a past job. I'll spare you the gore, but I know better than most that seatbelts save lives.

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
In case you haven't read the entire post let me clarify, I have no intention of not wearing my seatbelt. I have every intention of making the seatbelt usable so my kids are not crying. I bought the machine because I was looking for added safety over a quad with the amount of trail traffic that has increased over the last few years. Not one vehicle I have ever owned has got a stupid locking mechanism on the lap belt, they are 100% on the shoulder harness. In a crash the shoulder harness locks and thus the lap belt. The lap belt locking feature is overly redundant and specifically what I am trying to address.

As far as safety belts go, I was a forensic engineer in a past job. I'll spare you the gore, but I know better than most that seatbelts save lives.
I know you mentioned that you weren't a fan of the harnesses but they are really easy to install on the rear seats and very easy to adjust from kid to kid. I mainly got them cause it was hard for my 5 & 6 year old to reach up and grab the belt, also the sides kept digging in to their waist. They pop the harnesses on-off in seconds

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know you mentioned that you weren't a fan of the harnesses but they are really easy to install on the rear seats and very easy to adjust from kid to kid. I mainly got them cause it was hard for my 5 & 6 year old to reach up and grab the belt, also the sides kept digging in to their waist. They pop the harnesses on-off in seconds

They may be an option in the future. I'm a big guy and my kids are little, and we all occasionally find ourselves in the front passenger seat. I can't imagine trying to adjust between my wife, my kids, back up to myself and then back to my wife on a regular basis. Once the honeymoon with the machine is over and we all settle into our spots I may look at moving to harnesses.

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
They may be an option in the future. I'm a big guy and my kids are little, and we all occasionally find ourselves in the front passenger seat. I can't imagine trying to adjust between my wife, my kids, back up to myself and then back to my wife on a regular basis. Once the honeymoon with the machine is over and we all settle into our spots I may look at moving to harnesses.
I hear ya!! I haven't done harnesses in the front either, sometimes all four of us ride up front 😁. But since the rear seats are mainly for the kids the harnesses fit them better. I might try to take that clip off like @Vikes79 mentioned and see how I like it.
BTW if you want to bypass the seat belt here's what I did. The club stor also sell a plug for the bypass also.
20201116 201823

20201116 202256

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I actually threw a seatbelt bypass on my last order from the site store and it is sitting in my garage. I was going to install it this week but I realized the drivers seatbelt will feel like it is secured when sometimes it isn't 100%, and the seatbelt light lets you know. I want the over ride for moving a trailer around but not so much for trail riding. As dumb as this sounds I may wire up a seatbelt over ride switch but haven't decided what to do there yet. I have a garage full of parts to install so that is pretty low on my list.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Man I can't believe I've never posted about this problem. I agree 100% about that stupid plastic thing on the seatbelt. The problem I have is that it tightens up and then it's a pain to get it to release. So I get out, then when I want to get back in the seat belt is too tight to get it to latch.

Seriously there has to be a solution to this other than putting in harnesses or seatbelts from a different machine. Personally I always wear a seat belt in my buggy. Just a month ago a friend of mine wrecked his general and died. Wasn't wearing his seatbelt. And he's just one of many people around here that lost their life, or was injured badly in a side by side from not being strapped in. Plus the pioneers don't have buckets. So wearing the seatbelt keeps me in line with the steering wheel. I have no desire to ride without a belt, it's no inconvenience to me - EXCEPT THE STUPID BUCKLES THAT WON'T RELEASE!!!

Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I swapped my front seat belts out for Can-am Retractable harnesses. This eliminated the issue with the clumsy stock seat belts and allowed me to keep the seat belt speed limiter

Do you have any part numbers and install pics?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Do you have any part numbers and install pics?
You'd need to weld them in and have some brackets made. They aren't a direct bolt in swap.

These are the takeoffs on eBay that some have used:

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Unless these are different than the P5, you just slide it upward and it releases. My issue with the seatbelts was that they end up riding up and digging into your neck Years ago @iowaguy posted that he used a pad on his, bought them for mine and it hasn't been an issue since. Btw, harnesses suck a** unless they're the retractable type.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!