P500 Sedona Rip-saw tires

D

Deleted member 3748

Had my first snow run with the Rip Saws today. Not the best in the snow when making turns. I find that I have to get into the gas to keep the tires spinning then it turns okay. The more throttle, the better, which makes for a fun ride but a poor plowing experience. What have you guys experienced? What tire pressure are you running? I'm still at 6 psi.

PS - Snow donuts are a blast with Rip Saws!

D

Deleted member 3748

strange because i think the are amazing for plowing and awesome in the snow lmao but maybe because i never let off the gas
I'll give them some more time. This was about 3" of light powder and not really good for digging in.

Reactions: trigger
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
20170211 134129

D

Deleted member 3748

After I finished plowing, I took the new Rip Saws out for a ride in 7-8" of fresh snow. They're pretty good in the snow but there are still some times where they just don't bite in the turns. You can see it in the video. It's not a big deal because you can either hit the gas or let off the gas to get the tires to bite.

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
After I finished plowing, I took the new Rip Saws out for a ride in 7-8" of fresh snow. They're pretty good in the snow but there are still some times where they just don't bite in the turns. You can see it in the video. It's not a big deal because you can either hit the gas or let off the gas to get the tires to bite.

The wider the tire, the more the float effect?

D

Deleted member 3748

I also think alot of the push/lack of bite , from the front tires , is do to the fact that both rear tires are pushing. My Bighorns do the same thing.
I don't recall the factory tires pushing that much, but I also wasn't paying as much attention to those tires.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Had my first snow run with the Rip Saws today. Not the best in the snow when making turns. I find that I have to get into the gas to keep the tires spinning then it turns okay. The more throttle, the better, which makes for a fun ride but a poor plowing experience. What have you guys experienced? What tire pressure are you running? I'm still at 6 psi.

PS - Snow donuts are a blast with Rip Saws!

Reading in another thread where @WillyBill is out there representing the P5 with some BH 2.0's in the snow. He's riding with @CumminsPusher that has a P1 with Rip Saws. I think BH's might have the edge? o_O
Christmas ride
Check out post #7.

D

Deleted member 3748

The factory tires don't push but then again they don't pull they only go round and round. And that is why I have Rip Saws.
@Alan Did you see @trigger 's post above and follow that link? How are your tires doing in the snow? How much snow do you get in CO? I'm now wondering if I can take a tip from NASCAR and crank up my rear springs to get more front grip? I'm trying it tomorrow.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Hello Alan I'm Julio in Colorado as well. Nice P 500 have a great Holiday season! Great to see another sweet looking Pioneer
Thanks Julio and living in Colorado you can understand the importance of a 50" machine. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
@Alan Did you see @trigger 's post above and follow that link? How are your tires doing in the snow? How much snow do you get in CO? I'm now wondering if I can take a tip from NASCAR and crank up my rear springs to get more front grip? I'm trying it tomorrow.
They did fine in the snow and hail I have been in but it was not all that deep. The snow depends on where you are at but most places you won't want to take the P5 out unless you have tracks. For example January of this year Grand Mesa had 138" of snowfall, keeping in mind that is only 1 month and that is a 45 minute drive from where I live. Here is a picture of snow removal in May on Trail Ridge Road.
TrailRidgeSnowRemoval001

D

Deleted member 3748

They did fine in the snow and hail I have been in but it was not all that deep. The snow depends on where you are at but most places you won't want to take the P5 out unless you have tracks. For example January of this year Grand Mesa had 138" of snowfall, keeping in mind that is only 1 month and that is a 45 minute drive from where I live. Here is a picture of snow removal in May on Trail Ridge Road.View attachment 60336
Dang! That looks like the upper peninsula of Michigan.

When you had good snow performance with your Rip Saws were you in 12" of snow, 18" of snow?

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Dang! That looks like the upper peninsula of Michigan.

When you had good snow performance with your Rip Saws were you in 12" of snow, 18" of snow?
It was around 8", just above dragging the bottom. With that big 0 skid plate I don't want to get too deep, it will high center and turn in into a sled with wheels and won't go anywhere. The snow was very wet which is slicker.

D

Deleted member 3748

It was around 8", just above dragging the bottom. With that big 0 skid plate I don't want to get too deep, it will high center and turn in into a sled with wheels and won't go anywhere. The snow was very wet which is slicker.
The only time I high center and get stuck is when I build up a good head of steam to get through the piles of snow left by the city plow. If I don't make it I have to start digging. If I high center just going through normal deep snow I can put it in reverse and follow my tracks back out. Maybe a little push or some rocking to get going.

D

Deleted member 3748

Reading in another thread where @WillyBill is out there representing the P5 with some BH 2.0's in the snow. He's riding with @CumminsPusher that has a P1 with Rip Saws. I think BH's might have the edge? o_O
Christmas ride
Check out post #7.

We didn't get any more snow but we still have 6-8" on the ground so I took it for another ride. The Rip Saws are great in the snow except for those times when I'm not getting grip when turning. Keep in mind, I'm highlighting those times in the videos and not the other 60 minutes when everything is fine. The stock tires may have done the same thing. I also think @Chooglin might be right about the rear axle being locked and pushing. I give an example during the donut test. One thing I notice is that the tread stays really clean. At the end of the video you see where I'm going slow through some trees and the tread isn't cleaning itself because I'm going so slow but the grip is still strong.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!