H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I'm at 12,538 miles now. Mine is stiff going into gear on cold start. Its ok after a good warm up. I'm testing another oil for the sub trans and will post what I find late this week. The gear gates are a bit wider then the neutral gate so when its fully into gear the shift will wiggle back and forth in the gate. If its loaded forward in the gate your not fully into gear.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I engineered and printed a prototype that moves P,R,N,H forward about 3mm and reworked and added 4mm to Low at the back. After adjusting the cable to the more forward neutral position, it is giving me 7mm more throw for Low. I have installed it but not tested yet to see if it makes any difference. It may be a while due to weather but as soon as I give it a good testing, I will start a new thread.
Just finally did my adjustment. I also have it more forward in the neutral position. Seems to engage better in low, but can tell that it could cause an issue going into reverse if i went much farther forward. To have mine adjusted like the manual shows it would engage in low, but all the way at the back of the opening.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I engineered and printed a prototype that moves P,R,N,H forward about 3mm and reworked and added 4mm to Low at the back. After adjusting the cable to the more forward neutral position, it is giving me 7mm more throw for Low. I have installed it but not tested yet to see if it makes any difference. It may be a while due to weather but as soon as I give it a good testing, I will start a new thread.

Just finally did my adjustment. I also have it more forward in the neutral position. Seems to engage better in low, but can tell that it could cause an issue going into reverse if i went much farther forward. To have mine adjusted like the manual shows it would engage in low, but all the way at the back of the opening.

My (now in CNC production) shift gate adds the extra throw needed without sacrificing reverse throw. So far it has served me and many others very well.

Reactions: CID
Z

Zuess

Jan 8, 2019
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X
Hi Paul, I just ordered one, not sure if I need it however I did recall hearing that bang a couple of times ,I only have 500 miles on it at this time. We have a trip coming up next month going to West Virginia, I am also going to change that sub trans oil into what another member is recommending. I am hoping after that I will never hear that banging again.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My (now in CNC production) shift gate adds the extra throw needed without sacrificing reverse throw. So far it has served me and many others very well.
How do i order one?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
PM me your email and what style you want. Full info and pics in this thread...

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Just went out for the first ride after the 20 hour service. I asked them to adjust the cable because I had issues engaging low. Well not only is it still doing it, but it's even popping out of low after it's already moved forward.

Why is the shift gate so huge for low? Has anyone made a better shift gate for low?

This response is very late for this post but I do make a shifter plate for Talons that improves overall shifting. Doesn't completely solve the problem of shifting into low but helps.

I also designed a shifter plate with low deleted completely that was originally intended for racing applications but a few rental companies saw it and have placed orders to protect their transmissions. The low delete plate is not intended for everyone.

Reactions: Smitty335
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
FYI...
My next generation Talon shifter plate will be available mid Jan. 2021. I'll have 32 total available in textured black and silver, still laser cut from 5052 aluminum. Store link here.

DT S1

I spent several hours driving and sitting in my non running talon observing how this shifting works. Talon is unlike Polaris in that the shift points are not as definitive (the best I can describe). Meaning on Talon it's much easier to go right through a gear without stopping. I believe this is one reason Honda included the shift notches while Polaris doesn't. This is the main reason I added the shift stops for H-R. There is no way you can miss the shift!

Another revelation I had is that shifting into Park is actually stretching the cable every time because you have to go beyond actual Park engagement to put the lever in the Park notch. So my new iteration of the shifter plate includes a redesign of this Park notch to NOT stretch the cable.

Other revisions include larger radius corners which looks nicer but also further reduces the open area. The right side High - Reverse shift channel has been made shallower for quicker shifts while maintaining the stops for positive, no look shifts, and this makes getting into Low quicker. The least used Neutral position has been revised to a very shallow notch to prevent accidentally getting hung in Neutral during a H-R shift.

I'm obviously in this to make a profit, but I'm also in this to solve problems and create solutions. Being a cad person, creating products is something I've always wanted to do. After my first shifter plate design, I feel like I'm finally on my way and now look at things from a completely different angle.

I've made reservations for the 2021 Pioneer Takeover this week. The whole family is going along with several friends. Looking forward to meeting some of you and I'll be a supporting vendor this year, with products at the event.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!