P1000 SikorskyGramps 17' P1K5 "Optimus" Build Begins

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Guys,

Just picked up the Pioneer last week and got it back home to start work on her. My Grandson and kids thought Optimus Prime was a good name from the Transformers :) I've gone through the machine and made sure everything is torqued to spec. There were a couple loose bolts that needed tightening. The steering wheel was also installed 90 degrees off and the oil dipstick was a full turn loose. We still have 2-3 feet of snow on the ground and another month or so of winter before I can put some miles on it. I went out for ten minutes with my grandson, son and daughter inlaw. It was too cold still for a ride without a windshield and we only had a bit of fuel but I'm super impressed so far. I love the size, storage space and quality the machine has. I'm going to pickup the first batch of parts for the build tomorrow from the post office.

I'm starting with:

1.) Factor 55 Recovery Receivers X 2 (One for the rear and one for the Tough Country Bumper)
2.) 3/4" Crosby Shackles X 2
3.) Seizmic Side and Rearview Mirrors
4.) Trail Armor Skidplate & A-Arm Guards
5.) UTV Inc. Billet Aluminum Quick Release Fire Extinguisher
6.) Hi-Lift 36" Jack & Mounts
7.) Honda Overhead Storage Gear Bag

I ordered and paid for the Tough Country front bumper and Warn Pro Vantage 4500 that will hopefully be here in about two weeks. I'd like to add the rear carrier @Moses makes along with a glass windshield and glass divider from Honda. The Cooper Bussman setup and lights will come down the road. I'll make sure to add a few pictures as it comes together. I mounted the plate on the muffler cover from the idea I saw on here.

Here are a few pics of her so far...........

IMG 0548 IMG 1513 IMG 1499 IMG 1500 IMG 1501 IMG 1502

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You bet! We only had a bit of fuel but it was still fun. Looking forward to the end of winter.

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got the Factor 55 recovery receivers and 4.5T Crosby shackle installed in the back today. The other one will go into the front of the Tough Country bumper when it arrives.

IMG 1520

Last edited:
SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Installed the Seizmik aluminum pursuit mirrors and the Seizmik rearview mirror. They are very well built, solid mirrors. I like the memory feature that Jackal and CP had mentioned earlier. No need to readjust them if they get whacked. The rearview was hanging down too low initially. I reversed the bracket and cut another half circle to move the mirror up closer to the roof. Works like a charm now!

IMG 1514
IMG 1515
IMG 1517
IMG 1518
IMG 1521

Last edited:
SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
36" Hi-Lift jack and mounts from Rocky Mountain ATV installed on the rear ROPS tube. I like the location tucked up out of the water and mud. I'll have to see if it affects the body roll with the weight up higher.

IMG 1516

Last edited:
J

JTW

Looking good.. you'll really like the tough country bumper.. dad put one on his machine and I like it!

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
UTV Inc. fire extinguisher and mount installed. Beautiful machining on this part. The clamps literally locked into place the tolerances were so close. Hopefully I'll never have to use it.

IMG 1516
IMG 1523

Last edited:
SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking good.. you'll really like the tough country bumper.. dad put one on his machine and I like it!

Great to hear JTW! It sure looks tough in the pictures I've seen. I have the Honda Warn Provantage 4500 coming from the dealership. Did your Dad need any special mounting plate with the winch or does it just bolt straight up?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just noticed those bars on the bed sides. I'm assuming those are new for 2017?

Reactions: sharp
advertisement
J

JTW

Great to hear JTW! It sure looks tough in the pictures I've seen. I have the Honda Warn Provantage 4500 coming from the dealership. Did your Dad need any special mounting plate with the winch or does it just bolt straight up?
We put a superwinch Terra 45 on it.. just had to get slightly longer bolts. And I believe the clearance was pretty close between the bullbar and the winch. Oh, and the shackle holes were extremely tight.. they're 5/8 though. We bought several different ones before we found one that would fit.. and it needed pursuading a little. But that's a good thing to keep them from rattling. I'd suggest having someone there to give you a hand when you mount it. But it's very easy. No extra parts needed. Just a shade longer bolts than what came with the superwinch.

Reactions: SikorskyGramps
SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like where you are going with this!;)

Thanks Eltobgi Next up will be to ditch the Warn hook for the Factor 55 setup and upgrade to their oversized hawse fairlead. That'll really help save the synthetic line when winching on sharp angles. Any recommendations for a lightweight snatch block? ARB looks like they make a nice one. Do any of you guys use kinetic rope like Bubba Rope to pull a stuck machine out or do you just winch?

Kinetic recovery vid:

IMG 1525 IMG 1526

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I've had good luck with the Warn snatch block! Never have used kinetic but have a variety of ropes and straps that I always carry! Still running stock bumper so have to get creative if I don't want to use the winch to get out!

Reactions: SikorskyGramps
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!