P1000 SikorskyGramps 17' P1K5 "Optimus" Build Begins

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I backed the Pioneer out of the garage tonight and flipped the LED stock headlights on for the first time. I couldn't believe how bright they were! I'd love to see the output of one of those 48+ inch LED light bars everyone seems to have on their rig. I've read on here that a few guys can't even tell if the OEM lights are on or off when their light bars are on...........must be crazy bright. That mod will have to come down the road a little bit I think :)

Here's the stock lights on low and high in my driveway with 18" of snow still to melt on the front lawn..........

WP 20170315 21 45 03 Pro
WP 20170315 21 45 25 Pro
WP 20170315 21 45 37 Pro

Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I
I backed the Pioneer out of the garage tonight and flipped the LED stock headlights on for the first time. I couldn't believe how bright they were! I'd love to see the output of one of those 48+ inch LED light bars everyone seems to have on their rig. I've read on here that a few guys can't even tell if the OEM lights are on or off when their light bars are on...........must be crazy bright. That mod will have to come down the road a little bit I think :)

Here's the stock lights on low and high in my driveway with 18" of snow still to melt on the front lawn..........

View attachment 38329 View attachment 38330 View attachment 38331
I had to adjust my lights downward a good bit. I have a 52" light bar and when it's on you can turn on and off the headlights and can see a difference. I turn on the headlights just so the back lights are on.

Reactions: Corona1
Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I

View attachment 38329 View attachment 38330 View attachment 38331
I had to adjust my lights downward a good bit. I have a 52" light bar and when it's on you can turn on and off the headlights and can't see a difference. I turn on the headlights just so the back lights are on.

Reactions: SikorskyGramps
SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I

I had to adjust my lights downward a good bit. I have a 52" light bar and when it's on you can turn on and off the headlights and can't see a difference. I turn on the headlights just so the back lights are on.

Excellent tip........thanks Deer-hunter.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How much overall length did the TC bumper add @SikorskyGramps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Dang. It would make it real right in the toyhauler. Not sure that's a good idea.

I think dad said his measures 10 1/2 with the rear EMP bumper and front TC. That's a Terra 45 for reference if that helps..
IMG 2382

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dang. It would make it real right in the toyhauler. Not sure that's a good idea.
WP 20170316 19 58 08 Pro
WP 20170316 19 58 28 Pro
WP 20170316 20 01 27 Pro

Hi guys,
Just went out and measured it - it looks like about 6" longer than the stock bumper to the front edge of the pipe bumper frame, and 8" including the receiver. The massive part of this 126 lb bumper is mostly down underneath, making it look bigger than it is. Hope this helps!

Reactions: elkguide and JTW
J

JTW

Hi guys,
Just went out and measured it - it looks like about 6" longer than the stock bumper to the front edge of the pipe bumper frame, and 8" including the receiver. The massive part of this 126 lb bumper is mostly down underneath, making it look bigger than it is. Hope this helps!
126lbs??? Really? Wow!

advertisement
SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
126lbs??? Really? Wow!
That was the shipping weight, probably 6 lbs of cardboard and tape - would still make it around 120 lbs. Took 2 guys holding it and me putting in the bolts ;) It now handles way better on gravel washboard though, with the extra weight over the front wheels.

Reactions: nbomar
J

JTW

That was the shipping weight, probably 6 lbs of cardboard and tape - would still make it around 120 lbs. Took 2 guys holding it and me putting in the bolts ;) It now handles way better on gravel washboard though, with the extra weight over the front wheels.
Wow!!

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I know. That bumper is ultra heavy duty compared to some of the aftermarket ones out there. The powder coating stood up to repeated blows with my sledge hammer when we were trying to mount it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Got a quick coat of paint on the outside of the rear wooden cargo box. I'll throw on another one today and finish it off. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. That'll be the recovery box for everything I hope I won't have to use. Winch straps, snatch blocks, land anchor, shovels, etc, etc

View attachment 38407 View attachment 38408View attachment 38409View attachment 38410 View attachment 38408
If you change your mind about storage you could always through to 15" subwoofers in it:confused:

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I know. That bumper is ultra heavy duty compared to some of the aftermarket ones out there. The powder coating stood up to repeated blows with my sledge hammer when we were trying to mount it.
Yeah.. I just thought I'd was more like 80lbs

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Guys,

Well, the bumper was an epic install - it took 3 of us beating on it with a sledge hammer - bent the lower mounts out a bit but since it was securely welded on both sides, it still wouldn't go onto the frame all the way (TC just built it too tight) So I took the 5" angle grinder and ground about 1/16th of an inch off the inside of both brackets and Voila! - it slipped into position with a little more persuasion from the sledge hammer! I spray painted the bare metal and used thread lock on all the bolts. The TC kit was also missing the 4 "spacers" that went inside the hollow frame to avoid crushing it when the 4 bolts were tightened up (the Honda bumper had the spacers welded inside the bumper mount. Anyway, I was able to make two out of a piece of heavy aluminum square tubing and two more out of some 1" round heavy gage pipe. All painted to prevent rust. As you can see, the bumper is an absolute thing of beauty!!!!

One other problem, the Honda winch bracket is of no use to mount the fairlead plate. I will order that KFI one for $29, or I could have the local machine shop bend up a plate...... If it went under the 4 winch mount bolts and was bent 90 deg and made strong, it would do the trick! Anyway, very pleased with the results so far!

Glad I did not have that problem. It was a handful, but I installed my bumper by myself, and all the parts were there. It sure would have been simpler with some help ..... lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!