P500 Skid plate holes neccessary?

W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
So to continue my budget build using material i have on hand, I've decided to use the remainder of a sheet of 1/8 aluminum to beef up the flimsy factory skid plate. I plan on copying the original and laying the factory skid over the new aluminum. Question is...for someone like me that doesn't do any real mudding...are all those drain holes necessary? With the brushy stuff i find myself in, my instinct tells me that protecting from stuff joe-poking up through the holes may be more beneficial than having skid plate drainage....just not sure.

Thoughts??
Thanks
Chris

H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
So to continue my budget build using material i have on hand, I've decided to use the remainder of a sheet of 1/8 aluminum to beef up the flimsy factory skid plate. I plan on copying the original and laying the factory skid over the new aluminum. Question is...for someone like me that doesn't do any real mudding...are all those drain holes necessary? With the brushy stuff i find myself in, my instinct tells me that protecting from stuff joe-poking up through the holes may be more beneficial than having skid plate drainage....just not sure.

Thoughts??
Thanks
Chris
I did the same thing with Kydex plastic sheeting to beef up the skid plate, covered the holes which I thought was put there to dissipate the heat from radiator coolant pipes..and since I want that additional heat for my use in Oct and Nov while hunting I covered the holes.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
As long as you don't get stuck in mud much you'll be fineas the holes also help break the suction when your trying to get unstuck. Heat dissipation would be my only other concern. I'm getting ready to make a skid plate for my 700 and I'm in the same boat as you. I want some holes to help keep a little air flow, but I still want as much covered as possible.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I replaced mine with 9mm thick UHMW, using the stock one as a pattern. Swapped the vent grille under the engine from stock one and only put holes for rear diff and engine oil drain holes. I like it however debris does build up, and you will want to pressure was out mud leaves and grass seed. Id

W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
When I pulled off the plates after a moose hunt, the majority of material in there was leaves and grass seed. I suspect a lot of it was getting "in" through the holes from driving down grassed over roads. I'm gonna try it without the holes...can always add them after if I don't like it.

Thanks
Chris

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Have you considered something like this louvered vent plate over holes to allow air flow and drainage, sloped towards rear to minimize catching debris? Used in electrical cabinets and boats. Pretty inexpensive to replace as needed.

WEST MARINE Stainless-Steel Louvered Vents | West Marine

29CBA726 FB7D 400D B0A1 93D24847B381 EAC50BB6 04E0 4507 B2E6 E13C6A35D520

Last edited:
Reactions: Rustell and jinx
W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Interesting thought there mudder! couple of those strategically placed instead all the holes in the factory plate may just be the ticket. Probably have to replace em often as they will be pretty thin aluminum and will get beat up easily I think!

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
The stock one is similar to the vent shown above already iirc it's nylon/plastic. If you place on the engine side of the skid plate it will assist in cooling I'm thinking, but you will still need holes in the skid. If you can source UMHW in black or grey 9mm thick is really robust, works awesome, very strong slides easily over everything and is tough stuff. 1/8" aluminum will help pending where you ride, but will grip rocks and logs and bend up easily.

j

W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I cut the 1/8 aluminum using the stock skid plate as a template. Left the aluminum without the holes to try it out, except the factory vents, cut a hole in the aluminum to allow the vents to fit through. installed both the new aluminum and the factory skid plate together with the uhmw on the outside. Wont be as robust as some of the heavier aftermarket stuff out there...but will certainly be better than stock.

Chris

Reactions: Mudder

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!