SLOWPOKE goes short course racing

BlueLV21

BlueLV21

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2021
Show Me
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Too be honest, I loved my XX. Very quick for the weight, fantastic handling. But, the weight obviously hurts them, even though they are quick…but the reliability is what killed it for me.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Zoom zoom...

20211202 181835

20211202 200701

20211211 124131

20211211 123357

Just waiting on a set of bronze valve guides and the spring/retainer kit to show up later this week and then it's all getting shipped up to Missouri for the build.

Due to the extended time frame needed to get certain engine parts custom made for the build I decided to go with mostly off the shelf parts and race fuel for next season so I don't miss any races at the beginning of the year. We still plan on bringing the car up to PPEI for dyno tuning and while it's there they will be adding the launch control feature so Slowpoke can get some holeshots next season. 😁

Other than throwing it on scales at some point this winter to make sure it meets the new 1700lb minimum weight rule I don't plan on changing much else.

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I hate to admit this but.... I haven't even tried this feature yet (-:

You have WAY more self control than I do!

I probably would have tested that feature in the parking lot of the Honda dealer before loading it and taking it home if my 2019 came stock with it. 🤣

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ya, me too..... Some good things happened and plans changed again a few weeks ago, so here I am again. 😁
I hope you get things sorted out before the season starts! That's a pretty radical change! Reliability will be the question?

Reactions: toddvdh
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I hope you get things sorted out before the season starts! That's a pretty radical change! Reliability will be the question?
The turbo Talons are not breaking at the HP levels we are shooting for, so I don't think we will have any issues as far as reliability goes.

Reactions: Smitty335
H

HondaTech

We've been told the engine side is good (with pistons) for over 275hp per hole.

Its the clutches that were the issue in the past, but i think guys have figured out how to make them last by removing the traction control functions in the pcm programming. It was seeing wheel spin and slipping the clutch causing it to fail.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
We've been told the engine side is good (with pistons) for over 275hp per hole.

Its the clutches that were the issue in the past, but i think guys have figured out how to make them last by removing the traction control functions in the pcm programming. It was seeing wheel spin and slipping the clutch causing it to fail.
The new transmission/abs programing that's floating around the race scene pretty much solves all the clutch problems. I know Dr Powersports is running a highly modified Jackson kit along with the special trans tune on his race car and isn't having any clutch issues that I've heard about.

B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
Figured I'd start a thread about my racing adventures this year in case anyone is intrested...

This is the car I built over the last year. It's a 2019 R model that I cut up with 60 miles on the odometer......
View attachment 261154
View attachment 261155
View attachment 261156
Where are your shocks and spring? I only see the square tube there?
Also what was your ride height after getting your shocks worked on by George white? I want to get my lv done , but it is quite expensive.
I do rallycoarse now I only have their sway bar which works awesome, but the car still body rolls alot.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!