SLOWPOKE goes short course racing

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Where are your shocks and spring? I only see the square tube there?
Also what was your ride height after getting your shocks worked on by George white? I want to get my lv done , but it is quite expensive.
I do rallycoarse now I only have their sway bar which works awesome, but the car still body rolls alot.

The shocks were still at Double E Racing when those pictures was taken. I had literally finished building it that week.

The ride height I was shooting for for my type of racing was discussed with George before he valved my shocks. I chose to run my car lower than most and George had to account for that with valving and spring rates.

Good stuff isn't cheap, and cheap stuff isn't good. Buy once, cry once.

B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
The shocks were still at Double E Racing when those pictures was taken. I had literally finished building it that week.

The ride height I was shooting for for my type of racing was discussed with George before he valved my shocks. I chose to run my car lower than most and George had to account for that with valving and spring rates.

Good stuff isn't cheap, and cheap stuff isn't good. Buy once, cry once.
Do you have any suggestion or recommendations when getting shocks done? From what I have seen George is definitely the way to go.
By the way thanks for always answering, I have been asking you question since I purchased my unit 2 years ago. You setup is one of the best ones I have seen. Very well put.

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do you have any suggestion or recommendations when getting shocks done? From what I have seen George is definitely the way to go.
By the way thanks for always answering, I have been asking you question since I purchased my unit 2 years ago. You setup is one of the best ones I have seen. Very well put.

Biggest thing in my opinion is to call and talk to George directly about the type of racing you do, what you don't like about the suspension/handling now and what your expectations are.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Biggest thing in my opinion is to call and talk to George directly about the type of racing you do, what you don't like about the suspension/handling now and what your expectations are.
Have you heard anything about TexPlex being sold to developers? Seems there have been complaints about the uncontrollable dust by the incursion of housing, a fate suffered by many racing venues. We lost 2 paved circle tracks here due to noise complaints by housing developments (many years ago).

Reactions: Squeegee
H

HondaTech

Have you heard anything about TexPlex being sold to developers? Seems there have been complaints about the uncontrollable dust by the incursion of housing, a fate suffered by many racing venues. We lost 2 paved circle tracks here due to noise complaints by housing developments (many years ago).

Their moving to Missouri, sold the Texas location for housing.

• Sad
Reactions: Squeegee and CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R

Ya, that was a thing in 2021 when I was racing there and it's one of the reasons I didn't bother racing last year. Between buying a new house and the owners of the Outlaw Series moving it to Oak Hill Raceway in Decatur, TX, 2.5hrs from my house, I decided to hold off racing for a year to see how the move played out. I'm going to race this year but I'm thinking about splitting up the season between the Outlaw Series and Mid America Outdoors so I can spread the ass kickings I intend to hand out this season around. 😁

Their moving to Missouri, sold the Texas location for housing.

The owner of Texplex is not well liked in the SxS short course racing community. He wanted to cancel the series 3 races into the 2021 season because he didn't think he was pulling in enough money to cover the huge payouts he was promising. Brian Atkins, who was running the races for the owner ended up buying the series to save the 2021 season.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Figured I'd give this thread an update........

Car still isn't back together or running but it's getting closer now that I am actually working on it again. With the way the Texas Outlaw Series has fallen apart this season I decided to take a slightly different approach with the engine build. Instead of using the 12.5-1 Crower pistons and rods I had purchased initially I decided to sell those along with the BC stage 4 cam and run the 12-1 compression Wossner pistons on stock rods along with the BC stage 3 cam I have. Head got some love at the machine shop. It's ported, +1mm valves, bronze guides BC springs, Ti retainers and a performance valve job.

I spent a couple nights last week putting the sub-trans together with updated shifter parts, 2022 Pioneer high gear set and a bunch of lightened gears my buddy did up for me. Also has a new input shaft.

20230703 183402

I reassembled the bottom end/transmission Friday night and yesterday with the parts mentioned above, Bell Engines ARP head stud kit, new rod and main bearings and also a 2022 Pioneer 6th gear set. If all goes well I should have this thing fully assembled and ready to start up in a couple weeks. They outlawed the use of methanol in both short course series around here so its looking like I'll be having PPEI dyno tune it for Ignite Red E98 instead of VP M1 when I bring it up there.

20230715 235923

To be continued.....

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Finally put this JAH back together and took it racing. Scored a 2nd overall at the Outlaw Series race in late September and then brought it up to Mid America Outdoors last weekend for their final race and pulled off a 3rd overall.

Here is the YouTube link to the video of race 2 on Saturday if anyone is interested.....

If the link doesn't start at 6:50:00 automatically, go to that time stamp for the start of my race.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Finally put this JAH back together and took it racing. Scored a 2nd overall at the Outlaw Series race in late September and then brought it up to Mid America Outdoors last weekend for their final race and pulled off a 3rd overall.

Here is the YouTube link to the video of race 2 on Saturday if anyone is interested.....

If the link doesn't start at 6:50:00 automatically, go to that time stamp for the start of my race.
That’s bad ass man!
Glad to see you out there in a Honda tearing it up

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Car is going on a diet this winter. It's 75lbs over the minimum race weight for Mid America so we came up with a plan to remove some weight.

First up is going to be an ABS/i4wd delete along with all the sensors, wiring, relays, fuses ect and it's being replaced with all new light weight dirt car brake lines ran directly from the master cylinder.........
20231102 180923

We have the tuning figured out to do this now and I've been running my car with the ABS unit and all the front diff sensors unplugged for a couple weeks with zero issues. 😎

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Another thing we have in the works is a front clutch delete setup that puts a yoke directly on the front of the diff and eliminates the weight and rotating mass of the front clutch. I don't ever run my car in 2wd (front clutch has been stuck locked since my crash in 2021) so making it full time 4wd is no big deal. I'm also working with QA1 to have a custom carbon fiber driveshaft made for this setup to even further lighten up the car and remove rotating mass. 😎

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
🤔If you remove half the factory push pins that’ll save you 5 pounds. 😂🤣

Seriously though that’s a big investment you’ve got in your race car. Time, energy and money! It’s awesome to be able to follow along your journey.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
🤔If you remove half the factory push pins that’ll save you 5 pounds. 😂🤣

Seriously though that’s a big investment you’ve got in your race car. Time, energy and money! It’s awesome to be able to follow along your journey.

Ideally I'd like to build a new chassis. I've been eyeballing the Raceco/Mason Motorsports short course Talon and that car has given me a bunch of new ideas to lower my center of gravity and lighten things up in general.

I've been thinking about picking up a gently used Talon R to do this. Build that chassis out over the course of next season while I'm racing the old car and then swap all the race parts from the old car onto the new chassis when it's done. Take all the stock parts from the new chassis, put them on the old chassis and sell that car as a stock class race car. In my mind this all works..... 😆

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
In the search to remove unneeded weight from my car we decided that the MPI steering wheel and the piece of shat Hess quick release I run is a heavy SOB. According to my scale it weights 4.25lbs with shifter buttons and wiring attached.

I ordered a Joe's Racing Products 13" aluminum steering wheel thats 1.05lbs and a 7oz Sweet Mfg quick release to replace what I have now. This setup with the shifter buttons and wiring will weigh slightly less than 2lbs. Not only did I lose 2.25lbs with this swap I also removed the weight from up high. Sounds a bit ridiculous but everything I can do to remove weight and/or get it lower in the chassis the better.

Our next thought is to remove the PS unit from the factory location and mount it directly above the rack lowering the weight of the unit down about 2'. Once that done I'm probably going to remove the Hess steering quickener and replace it with a Speedway motors quickner that's going to get mounted directly above the relocated PS unit. The Speedway quickner weights less than half of what I have in there now and lowering it down a foot will definitely help in the CG department. 😎

20231108 104518

The steering wheel and splined column adapter should all be here Friday.

Last edited:
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
This Raceco car is sexy as hell and that V&H exhaust makes my pants fit tighter.....

Your GM needs this car....

I have looked at that Talon that is for sale and I am trying to figure out how to justify that machine for my type of riding!!!🥲 It has a lot on it that I really like for the cost!! My wife doesn't have the same vision I have for it though!!!LOL

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!