SLOWPOKE goes short course racing

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Lined up for the main race after swapping rear tires and making a sway bar adjustment. Green drops, I get the holeshot, lead every lap and won the race by a decent amount over my nemesis in the RS-1. Not only that, I ran the fastest lap of the day in my class beating the RS-1's best lap by over 2 seconds. 😎😁😎😁😎

I don't have any good pictures or videos yet but I'll post them up when I find some.
Congrats on the W. 😎🤘🏾🤣

H

HondaTech

Congrats on the win!!

You had a better weekend then we did it seems. Broke the driveshaft and cracked front diff. Still managed 3rd in class and are still 1st in class points with 3 races left.

20210828 182942 068 saved

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Congrats on the win!!

You had a better weekend then we did it seems. Broke the driveshaft and cracked front diff. Still managed 3rd in class and are still 1st in class points with 3 races left.

View attachment 292179
Even injured Hondas kick ass and take names at the track! 🤣

H

HondaTech

Even injured Hondas kick ass and take names at the track! 🤣
Had 2nd tied up, were in the hunt for 1st and flipped over. The time it took to flip back and get going, plus being in 2wd almost the entire race held the car back alot.

The car whose 2nd in points broke immediately and DNF'd so we got a good jump in points on him this time. 11 points ahead atm.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Had 2nd tied up, were in the hunt for 1st and flipped over. The time it took to flip back and get going, plus being in 2wd almost the entire race held the car back alot.

The car whose 2nd in points broke immediately and DNF'd so we got a good jump in points on him this time. 11 points ahead atm.
I told my wife after the heat race that if I was out there racing with 4 good tires and some dude flys by me with only 3 good tires I'd seriously consider finding a new hobby. 🤣🤣🤣

B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
I should probably also mention that I'm running against RS-1's and YXZ's that all have built motors, with a stock Talon motor with nothing more than a PwrTune intake kit, their generic tune and an HMF exhaust. I don't even have launch control. Those guys in my class are screwed once I get a real race motor built. 🤣

The lack of HP vs the other 1000cc machines is more than made up for by eliminating the belt drive and going with a 6spd clutch style transmission. I freakin love this car!!

View attachment 261179
How wide is your car? Love the look. I tried looking for those tires but can't find it anywhere, I believe double e racing uses them as well on their talon. Does it improve for your type of racing ? I do rally cross those tires look like would slide alot.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
How wide is your car? Love the look. I tried looking for those tires but can't find it anywhere, I believe double e racing uses them as well on their talon. Does it improve for your type of racing ? I do rally cross those tires look like would slide alot.

My car is just a hair under 77" tire buldge to tire buldge with the 15 x 8 beadlocks on it.

You can buy the tires from Jegs. Search for Hoosier P1000 tires.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Round 8 at Texplex was this weekend. Showed up Friday afternoon to get in a few lapsof practice before the race on Saturday...

20210924 191629

Car felt really fast in practice so I did a few laps and parked it for the rest of the evening to save the tires. The rest of Friday night looked like this...

20210924 205742

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Saturday was interesting to say the least. Lined up for my heat race and got a great start. Came out of the gate in 1st followed closely by a guy in a very built Yamaha. We go through a few corners dicing for the lead and when I landed on the other side of the big table top my car shut off.... F#@k!!! Pulled over, got it refired and back in gear and took off again after being passed by 3 cars. I raced my way back up to second place and the car shut off again....🤦‍♂️ Pulled over again... got it refired and back in gear again... and took off again... At that point I dropped from 2nd to 7th but raced my way back up to 5th before I ran out of laps.

The shutting off was totally my fault. I drained some oil because I had an overheating issue last round due to adding to much oil and apparently drained just enough to trip the low level sensor when the track was rough and oil was sloshing all over inside the engine. I added less than 1/4 of a quarter of oil and didn't have a problem for the rest of the day. Doh!!

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Main that afternoon was even more interesting....

After the morning race disaster I was all pumped up to get back out there and run up front. We'll, I was so pumped up I rolled through the starting line a split second before the flag dropped. 🤦‍♂️ To avoid a 30 second penalty I had to let everyone go, so that's what I did. I started dead last behind 11 other cars kicking up huge clouds of dust I couldn't see through. I past 2 cars immediately and fell in behind the rest of the pack. I already knew I wasn't winning the race today so I decided to play the points game and just follow the pack to avoid potentially wrecking the car by driving balls out up through the field. As laps peeled off so did the cars in front of me. Not like I could see them through the clouds of dust, but it happened. I'd pass 1 or 2 a lap and continued doing so until the checkered flag. It was looking like I was going to finish 5th but I caught and passed a guy about 300yds from the finish line to take 4th. I had no clue where I finished until I pulled off the track and saw that there were only 3 cars in the pit lane ahead of me. 😎

Considering the day I had, finishing 4th overall and padding my 2nd place points lead by a few more points isn't all that horrible.

As a bonus... I ran the fastest lap times of my class in both the heat race and main. Apparently doing that 2 race weekends in a row has prompted a certain RS-1 driver in my class to load his car into an engine builder's trailer after the race yesterday so he can take it back to TN and "do some stuff to it". It kills him that my redneck a$$ with my stock motored, home built Honda can beat his big money car. 🤣

H

HondaTech

The Main that afternoon was even more interesting....

After the morning race disaster I was all pumped up to get back out there and run up front. We'll, I was so pumped up I rolled through the starting line a split second before the flag dropped. 🤦‍♂️ To avoid a 30 second penalty I had to let everyone go, so that's what I did. I started dead last behind 11 other cars kicking up huge clouds of dust I couldn't see through. I past 2 cars immediately and fell in behind the rest of the pack. I already knew I wasn't winning the race today so I decided to play the points game and just follow the pack to avoid potentially wrecking the car by driving balls out up through the field. As laps peeled off so did the cars in front of me. Not like I could see them through the clouds of dust, but it happened. I'd pass 1 or 2 a lap and continued doing so until the checkered flag. It was looking like I was going to finish 5th but I caught and passed a guy about 300yds from the finish line to take 4th. I had no clue where I finished until I pulled off the track and saw that there were only 3 cars in the pit lane ahead of me. 😎

Considering the day I had, finishing 4th overall and padding my 2nd place points lead by a few more points isn't all that horrible.

As a bonus... I ran the fastest lap times of my class in both the heat race and main. Apparently doing that 2 race weekends in a row has prompted a certain RS-1 driver in my class to load his car into an engine builder's trailer after the race yesterday so he can take it back to TN and "do some stuff to it". It kills him that my redneck a$$ with my stock motored, home built Honda can beat his big money car. 🤣
Slow ass Honda.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!