P500 Small toy hauler for a Pioneer 500

T

tlynn

Sep 25, 2017
wimauma fl
Ownership

1. 500
This is my endeavor to find a half ton toy hauler for my/our 2015 Honda Pioneer 500. There is not a whole lot of details out there to help determine the fit, not even much the other trail size sxs like rzr and arctic cat except most would say just get a 3/4 ton truck and a bigger toy hauler.
I've been a year looking for a small toy hauler that the p500 would fit in. I did not want anything near 30 ft long total, or any thing near 12 ft tall, and I wanted it under 5000 lbs. dry. I wanted a bed up front and no fiberglass sides, So my selections were few.

I was looking at the Grey wolf 25rr and 22rr, but they would need some mods for the p500 to fit width wise. And the door way was not tall enough either without lowering the sxs. I was able to get my p500 down to 73 inches tall , with factory roof on, by disconnecting the bottom end of the rear shocks, letting the rear a-frames collapse. So it may have went under doorway with some effort. Also with the roof off, there would be another 4 inches of clearance. Letting all the air out of the 26" 8 ply tiers only yeilds 3/4 inch.

I was also looking for a Forest River 191ssxl or 211ssxl to take measurements, but there were none within 1000 miles from me (central Florida)

Prime Time Avenger 18th and 21th was on my list to measure but the closest one was in Hammond Mississippi, just so happen my wife wanted to go to Biloxi so we did, a 140 miles further was Hammond Ms. so, we brought home a 2016 Avenger 18th. Its 4618 dry (confirmed at the scales), can carry 3107 lbs and 24 ft total. It has a Murphy bed up front and the door is about midway too.

The p500 fits just right, except with 2 1/2 inches clearance each side, I have to climb thru front or the back of the p500 when its in its spot. I have to do this only because I wanted the emergency brake on to lessen stress on tie down strap and anchor points. But, this was overcome by constructing an emergency brake lever, attached to the nut on the threaded brake shaft bolt, in such a way I can operate while standing at the rear of the p500. So I drive it in, get out as soon as the rear tire clears the ramp, then push the p500 to the tie down spot, lock the brake from the rear then tie it down.

Something I did not expect, was the extra doorway clearance.The p500 roof is 77 inches tall with 26 in tires, the doorway opening is also 77" tall from floor to the mosquito net frame attached to the roof. I was very surprised that there are 3 inches of clearance as the tip top of the roof passes by, the position if the rear ties at this point are still on the ramp and lower than the floor.
Not much storage space but this camper is a keeper.

I'll also be using that brake for an anti theft precaution, but don't tell anybody.

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
That sounds really nice, I'm glad you found what you needed.

We used to trailer our toys in an enclosed 6x14 trailer behind an old motorhome until we found a little piece of land with a shack near our favorite trails and nephews house. Our enclosed trailer was bought back in 2006 and while I have had 2 ATV's and 2 dual sport bikes in it at once I can not fit a SxS in it just not tall enough of an opening, thinking of a new taller enclosed trailer but already have a 6.5x16 landscape trailer so the need just isn't there.

U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
That sounds really nice, I'm glad you found what you needed.

We used to trailer our toys in an enclosed 6x14 trailer behind an old motorhome until we found a little piece of land with a shack near our favorite trails and nephews house. Our enclosed trailer was bought back in 2006 and while I have had 2 ATV's and 2 dual sport bikes in it at once I can not fit a SxS in it just not tall enough of an opening, thinking of a new taller enclosed trailer but already have a 6.5x16 landscape trailer so the need just isn't there.
Before I decided to carry my 500 in the bed of the truck, I thought about an enclosed trailer.....and wondered if one could buy old U-Haul trailers?..........I presume that they must sell old trailers at some point, and while it might cost some fix-up, the enclosed part would be solved.

U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Before I decided to carry my 500 in the bed of the truck, I thought about an enclosed trailer.....and wondered if one could buy old U-Haul trailers?..........I presume that they must sell old trailers at some point, and while it might cost some fix-up, the enclosed part would be solved.

I fancied that I could roll out the atv at a stop somewhere, and sleep inside the trailer on a pad....maybe have some camping gear to do light cooking....I never pursued that thought..

R

Rustell

I was able to find a 2002 Carson "Fun Runner". A 18' ft toyhauler with sink,stove, refrigerator,toilet and a shower. It was a little bit "tired" inside ,but I've had fun fixing it up a little. They are out there . My 500 fits just fine. I use a Kolpin "Loc it tight" system to tie it down as there wasn't any good place to attach any tie downs. Right now, I'm installing new flooring Ztrailer1 Toyhauler IMG 20180409 112451299 IMG 20160824 175515693 HDR

B

Blackdawg

Nov 23, 2016
Kentucky Lake, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I recently purchased a Jayco Octane 16 ft toy hauler. The 500 fits without removing the electric bed if I take the roof off and lower the tire pressure. Remove the bed and I don’t have to do anything. I do like the big queenish size bed though. E5807ac23e7bd92b8fd2b90d1022c4bf862cab40d93eb0376f58cb1253acefae

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
This is my endeavor to find a half ton toy hauler for my/our 2015 Honda Pioneer 500. There is not a whole lot of details out there to help determine the fit, not even much the other trail size sxs like rzr and arctic cat except most would say just get a 3/4 ton truck and a bigger toy hauler.
I've been a year looking for a small toy hauler that the p500 would fit in. I did not want anything near 30 ft long total, or any thing near 12 ft tall, and I wanted it under 5000 lbs. dry. I wanted a bed up front and no fiberglass sides, So my selections were few.

I was looking at the Grey wolf 25rr and 22rr, but they would need some mods for the p500 to fit width wise. And the door way was not tall enough either without lowering the sxs. I was able to get my p500 down to 73 inches tall , with factory roof on, by disconnecting the bottom end of the rear shocks, letting the rear a-frames collapse. So it may have went under doorway with some effort. Also with the roof off, there would be another 4 inches of clearance. Letting all the air out of the 26" 8 ply tiers only yeilds 3/4 inch.

I was also looking for a Forest River 191ssxl or 211ssxl to take measurements, but there were none within 1000 miles from me (central Florida)

Prime Time Avenger 18th and 21th was on my list to measure but the closest one was in Hammond Mississippi, just so happen my wife wanted to go to Biloxi so we did, a 140 miles further was Hammond Ms. so, we brought home a 2016 Avenger 18th. Its 4618 dry (confirmed at the scales), can carry 3107 lbs and 24 ft total. It has a Murphy bed up front and the door is about midway too.

The p500 fits just right, except with 2 1/2 inches clearance each side, I have to climb thru front or the back of the p500 when its in its spot. I have to do this only because I wanted the emergency brake on to lessen stress on tie down strap and anchor points. But, this was overcome by constructing an emergency brake lever, attached to the nut on the threaded brake shaft bolt, in such a way I can operate while standing at the rear of the p500. So I drive it in, get out as soon as the rear tire clears the ramp, then push the p500 to the tie down spot, lock the brake from the rear then tie it down.

Something I did not expect, was the extra doorway clearance.The p500 roof is 77 inches tall with 26 in tires, the doorway opening is also 77" tall from floor to the mosquito net frame attached to the roof. I was very surprised that there are 3 inches of clearance as the tip top of the roof passes by, the position if the rear ties at this point are still on the ramp and lower than the floor.
Not much storage space but this camper is a keeper.

I'll also be using that brake for an anti theft precaution, but don't tell anybody.

T

tlynn

Sep 25, 2017
wimauma fl
Ownership

1. 500
we considered toy haulers without a bed up front, but glad we waited. As far as getting the p500 thru a short doorway, I even put skinny 12" trailer tires on the rear and got it down to 73 1/2 inches, but by removing the bottom of the shocks was easier, and by removing the roof you can get the p500 down to 69 inches.

SXSHP500CO

SXSHP500CO

Pounding - Beaver
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2017
Northglenn Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I was able to find a 2002 Carson "Fun Runner". A 18' ft toyhauler with sink,stove, refrigerator,toilet and a shower. It was a little bit "tired" inside ,but I've had fun fixing it up a little. They are out there . My 500 fits just fine. I use a Kolpin "Loc it tight" system to tie it down as there wasn't any good place to attach any tie downs. Right now, I'm installing new flooring View attachment 72955 View attachment 72956 View attachment 72958 View attachment 72957

What did you use to color in the front HONDA logo ?

Thanks

S

Speedee86

Dec 26, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
Ownership

1. 500
We actually fit our p500 in a 2018 wolf pup 17rp :)
Passenger front tire up on the wheel well, I built and frame that slips over it so less strain on the well. No mods to the sxs or the trailer to make it fit. Its tight but works great :) And the driver side door has room to swing open so I can walk out :)
We had the tiny toy hauler already and always had quads, never anticipated a sxs since it's a small trailer. But I saw the p500, looked and the specs and took measurements, went to the dealer and told them, I'm bringing my trailer, Fitbit fits, I will buy it. Now we have a 2020 p500 to replace my quad so our son can ride with one of us and the other can ride the other little quad. I actually added a harness in the middle and we have ridden 3 wide in the little p5 plenty of times ;)

Reactions: Gassygordo
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
We actually fit our p500 in a 2018 wolf pup 17rp :)

I've had my eye out for the small wolf pup or a KZ Sportsman.
It's good to hear that they work with a p500.
Do you have pictures you could share?
Also, any issue with the trailer tongue weight?
I have been worried about not being able to move the p500 far enough forward in a small toy hauler.

S

Speedee86

Dec 26, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
Ownership

1. 500
I don't have a picture un fortunately. Will take some the next time I load it up. I haven't felt any issues with tongue weight. The engine in the p500 sits low and dead center like a big quad as opposed to alot of other sxs where its sits in the back. So when loaded, that puts the weight a bit more forward and centered. I also have a weight distribution hitch. But it all pulled just fine and wasnt unstable at all. My tow vehicle is a 2017 ram 1500 quad cab, 2wd v6 and does the job just fine. Our last trip was 157 mile treck one way :)

Reactions: HiFive and lee

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!