P700 Smelling burnt oil?

J

JPA2002

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2021
Daleville, VA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well, I recently purchased a p700 that would not shift. This is a horrible design from an oil pickup perspective, and I want to reiterate to everyone to use oil rated for wet clutches. When I tore this one down the oil pickup screen was plugged with clutch fibers. Upon inspection, 2nd and 3rd clutches were good, but first was toast and the source of the fibers. As far as the original posters issue, I would say that I have seen air boxes not properly sealed from the factory. It could have also been an oil issue, but honestly that should have only been caused by low oil. I will post some pics of the oil screen, and if someone needs one rebuilt, get your pocket book out. Gaskets, clutches, new oil pump, and labor will be expensive. I have at least 10-15 hrs in this one and over $1500 in parts. Now that does include a née front seat, oil pump, clutches and plates, and a new torque converter as I screwed up the seal ring on the old one and Honda doesn’t sell that part. Oh, and not to mention disassembling almost the entire roof, seat, etc! I should have this one running this week. Also, this is a rincon engine and they are designed differently than most Honda’s.

785B71F8 8861 40E3 A171 F93C7417B2FF 04603501 602E 4D46 957B AD080AA73920 61B8BBB9 C898 4A28 B800 B9BDB2FDD44E A1750448 3C99 4796 BE8C AC39FFD666B4

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well, I recently purchased a p700 that would not shift. This is a horrible design from an oil pickup perspective, and I want to reiterate to everyone to use oil rated for wet clutches. When I tore this one down the oil pickup screen was plugged with clutch fibers. Upon inspection, 2nd and 3rd clutches were good, but first was toast and the source of the fibers. As far as the original posters issue, I would say that I have seen air boxes not properly sealed from the factory. It could have also been an oil issue, but honestly that should have only been caused by low oil. I will post some pics of the oil screen, and if someone needs one rebuilt, get your pocket book out. Gaskets, clutches, new oil pump, and labor will be expensive. I have at least 10-15 hrs in this one and over $1500 in parts. Now that does include a née front seat, oil pump, clutches and plates, and a new torque converter as I screwed up the seal ring on the old one and Honda doesn’t sell that part. Oh, and not to mention disassembling almost the entire roof, seat, etc! I should have this one running this week. Also, this is a rincon engine and they are designed differently than most Honda’s.

View attachment 282150 View attachment 282151 View attachment 282152 View attachment 282153
What do you feel is terrible about the pickup? It'd be nice if it were easier to access.

J

JPA2002

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2021
Daleville, VA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That is my largest complaint is just having to split the crankcase in halve. If they would have put an access door there where you could clean it and then just remove the front cover for the 1st gear clutches that would have been an easy fix.

Reactions: DG Rider
C

charles

Dec 11, 2015
farm
hondaman1 thinking of using mobil 1 anyone agsinst it and why? have had 20 hr change . we have had no issues it is a 16 700

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!