P500 Snorkel questions????

Frisco

Frisco

Jan 15, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Ownership

1. 500
Going to add a snorkel. Seen a previous post, and like the double pipe style. So I feel confident on my construction process. But still have theses questions as this will be my first ever snorkel try. For types of riding related info.....I'm out here in Calif. .....so a lot of dust on the trails. With a occasional river crossing.

1.) Is the air box cover water tight enough? Or do I need to seal that off better than the stock seal it has.
2.) At my future vent intake 90's.....what seems to work the best? aim toward the wind (front of vehicle), or away from the wind (rear). Afraid to mess with Lean or Rich issues.
3.) I'm not planning to be a submarine all the way, so how important is it to Dielectric grease all fittings? Seen a post where it seems Honda already has sealed fittings?
4.) Any other tubes I need to bring above the water line? (breathers ?)
5.) Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks....

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would run the front and rear differential vent tubes up and the fuel tank vent. I think the air box lid will be fine. And I always added two 90s at the top of the snorkel to point it down so rain wouldn't get in it...

Frisco

Frisco

Jan 15, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Ownership

1. 500
I would run the front and rear differential vent tubes up and the fuel tank vent. I think the air box lid will be fine. And I always added two 90s at the top of the snorkel to point it down so rain wouldn't get in it...

Great, thanks for the info.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please en light me what is this (pink tube) and does it need to be snorkeled? :)

And another question, all hoses , from what I see front and rear tranny connected tho the frame 2" above top rim of tires. So if I'm not going into water above tire then no need to snorkel all those tubing? Correct?

IMG 20160130 195357554

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please en light me what is this (pink tube) and does it need to be snorkeled? :)

And another question, all hoses , from what I see front and rear tranny connected tho the frame 2" above top rim of tires. So if I'm not going into water above tire then no need to snorkel all those tubing? Correct?

View attachment 9734
The pink tube is the airbox drain. It should have a one way valve on the bottom, so no need to snorkel it. Correct on differential vents. But if you need an airbox snorkel, that's deep enough to snorkel the diffs and fuel tank...

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The pink tube is the airbox drain. It should have a one way valve on the bottom, so no need to snorkel it. Correct on differential vents. But if you need an airbox snorkel, that's deep enough to snorkel the diffs and fuel tank...

Thank you! What do you do about the battery? Will I have shortage under water? Do you seal battery box?

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you! What do you do about the battery? Will I have shortage under water? Do you seal battery box?
I have never had a problem with batteries being under water. I would dielectric grease the fuses and connections though. And put dielectric grease in spark plug cap. I haven't done any of this to mine as I don't drive in deep stuff anymore. But I have a mud racing past... My Honda swamp bikes never took in any water or shorted out using these methods. Hope they help!

Reactions: solrus
CMFox

CMFox

Oct 29, 2015
Central Oregon
Are there any after market snorkels for those of us who are not so handy in making one?
CM
Central Oregon

advertisement
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are there any after market snorkels for those of us who are not so handy in making one?
CM
Central Oregon

Are you planning to drive into water above your tires?
I bought tubing for snorkeling tranny and etc , but then after thinking it over, that I have my winch solenoid, lights relays, and power steering on the the level of steering wheel, I decided not to snorkle and drive deeper then my 26" BH 2.0, since all breathers are plugged to the highest point on the frame on the level of air intake.

CMFox

CMFox

Oct 29, 2015
Central Oregon
Are you planning to drive into water above your tires?
I bought tubing for snorkeling tranny and etc , but then after thinking it over, that I have my winch solenoid, lights relays, and power steering on the the level of steering wheel, I decided not to snorkle and drive deeper then my 26" BH 2.0, since all breathers are plugged to the highest point on the frame on the level of air intake.

Good question! Maybe I'm solving a problem I don't have.....

No, water diving for me and the 500. But I have a soft back on the back cab side, and want to put a cargo box next to the back window. We live in a very dusty place, (Central Oregon) and my understanding was that the snorkel might help alleviate the dust that gets suck thru the air filter. And since I'm confining my air filter more, between the cargo box and the soft window, it might cause problems.

Am I being worried where not worrying is needed?

Thanks.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I have no great interest in heading into deep water for sport. My interest was to reduce ingestion of dust and cleaning of filter. Honda manual says daily (I think) in dusty conditions, so my thinking was to raise the intake up out of the dust. My system so far works well, with the exception it's more noiser than stock, still working on how I can make it quieter. I try to post a link to intake pix. I used plastic tubing and elbows that has the same (or larger ID), black pipe glue, small piece of aluminum angle and rubber flex elbows. I installed the latter diameter 3" ID piece as a means to reduce the intake noise and it does remove the harsh intake tone out. The overall install is basically strip off stock intake, measure, cut to fit new pipe till you like the fit. Once happy with fit disassemble apply cement and reassemble.

Dropbox - P5 intake.jpeg

jrc

Reactions: CMFox
C

Chooglin

Good question! Maybe I'm solving a problem I don't have.....

No, water diving for me and the 500. But I have a soft back on the back cab side, and want to put a cargo box next to the back window. We live in a very dusty place, (Central Oregon) and my understanding was that the snorkel might help alleviate the dust that gets suck thru the air filter. And since I'm confining my air filter more, between the cargo box and the soft window, it might cause problems.

Am I being worried where not worrying is needed?

Thanks.

I also ride in some pretty dusty condition and this was my solution to reducing the amount of dust sucked in !!
P500 - Snorkel to reduce air filter maintenance
Not sure if this is something you would consider, but it really helps !

Reactions: CMFox
Anthony_J

Anthony_J

Jul 6, 2015
If your concern is dust get a snorkel pre filter, or just put pantyhose for the cheap solution also keeps the chance of mud and water going in the snorkel from debris thrown up from your tires

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!