P500 spacers

H

honda623

Jul 17, 2018
canada
hey guys new to the forum just picked up a 2017 p500 camo gonna be running 27-10-12s in the front and 27-12-12s in the back and was thinkin about putting spacers in as well. what is everyone running for spacers?

H

honda623

Jul 17, 2018
canada
no restrictions where I am

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Don't know what brand of tires you're going with, some run true to size. I would suggest 1.5" spacers. Might want to wait until you get the tires on, set your intended psi and measure your track width. Some guys don't mind and even prefer an uneven track width, I tried to get it as close as possible. Let us know how you end up. ;)

Reactions: Remington
B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
4CE98629 7524 4114 BE91 1A0FDA5D97BF
hey guys new to the forum just picked up a 2017 p500 camo gonna be running 27-10-12s in the front and 27-12-12s in the back and was thinkin about putting spacers in as well. what is everyone running for spacers?

I just did some back of the envelope caLculations for my 2018 p500. It came with a sticker that said not to exceed 33.5 degrees of tilt angle. If one assumes going beyond that angle will result in a roll over, then one can calculate a few things. I assumed a width of 50 inches to the outside of the tires. This is a rough number since the rear width is a bit less. The attached figure will help. If you are not skilled in trigonometry, the tangent of an angle is the opposite side divided by the adjacent side. One can use a calculator to do the math for differing conditions than what I used.

So, we are able to calculate the height of the center of gravity (COG) and that works out to about 38 inches. Or in other words, the COG is about 2 inches or so higher than the top of my rack. I would say they probably calculated this value with people and luggage on board since by observation most of the mass of just the p500 is way below the rack, in my opinion anyway.

Since I’m considering installing taller tires, I wanted to know how much more width I’d need if I raised the COG by 2 inches or roughly going from the stock 23 inch tires....they actually measure this value....to say a 27 inch tire which would give a lift of 2 inches.
This value turns out to be 52.8 inches or rounded to 53 inches of new width from outer edge of tire to outer edge of tire.

If one chose instead to not increase the width, the new roll over angle is calculated to be about 32 degrees, so a bit less than before.

I hope this helps folks to understand what is going on. You can use my examples in the attached figure to run your own numbers for your situation. Keep in mind that accessories you have added will change the stock numbers, so this is approximate unless you go deeper and recalculate a new COG with your accessories, their weights, and locations.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I’m running 2” back 1”front with stock wheels. This brings the width about even front and rear.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 107365

I just did some back of the envelope caLculations for my 2018 p500. It came with a sticker that said not to exceed 33.5 degrees of tilt angle. If one assumes going beyond that angle will result in a roll over, then one can calculate a few things. I assumed a width of 50 inches to the outside of the tires. This is a rough number since the rear width is a bit less. The attached figure will help. If you are not skilled in trigonometry, the tangent of an angle is the opposite side divided by the adjacent side. One can use a calculator to do the math for differing conditions than what I used.

So, we are able to calculate the height of the center of gravity (COG) and that works out to about 38 inches. Or in other words, the COG is about 2 inches or so higher than the top of my rack. I would say they probably calculated this value with people and luggage on board since by observation most of the mass of just the p500 is way below the rack, in my opinion anyway.

Since I’m considering installing taller tires, I wanted to know how much more width I’d need if I raised the COG by 2 inches or roughly going from the stock 23 inch tires....they actually measure this value....to say a 27 inch tire which would give a lift of 2 inches.
This value turns out to be 52.8 inches or rounded to 53 inches of new width from outer edge of tire to outer edge of tire.

If one chose instead to not increase the width, the new roll over angle is calculated to be about 32 degrees, so a bit less than before.

I hope this helps folks to understand what is going on. You can use my examples in the attached figure to run your own numbers for your situation. Keep in mind that accessories you have added will change the stock numbers, so this is approximate unless you go deeper and recalculate a new COG with your accessories, their weights, and locations.
Never had the time or inclination to calculate the degree of “tilt angle” that I was on leading to a roll over, I just know the pucker factor lol. Massively rutted trails on a shallow slope (guessing 5%) caused one roll over. Now that my wife has had brain surgery and has titanium plates in her head, another rollover is absolutely unacceptable, I installed 1.5” spacers and avoid questionable terrain in the P5 now. Can’t risk it. The two rollovers I’ve had both landed on her side. :eek:

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Never had the time or inclination to calculate the degree of “tilt angle” that I was on leading to a roll over, I just know the pucker factor lol. Massively rutted trails on a shallow slope (guessing 5%) caused one roll over. Now that my wife has had brain surgery and has titanium plates in her head, another rollover is absolutely unacceptable, I installed 1.5” spacers and avoid questionable terrain in the P5 now. Can’t risk it. The two rollovers I’ve had both landed on her side. :eek:

Totally understandable. The p500 rigs rigs are pretty narrow so with your wife’s condition it pays to have an abundance of caution. You are wise to install the spacers to help make it more stable. My calculations were more to help folks understand the relationships between taller tires and roll over......I think nearly everybody knew that, but it gives an idea of how much spacer is needed since there seemed to be some questions on the forum about how much spacer or offset to add. Sure hope she feels okay and that you have many miles of safe travels!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Totally understandable. The p500 rigs rigs are pretty narrow so with your wife’s condition it pays to have an abundance of caution. You are wise to install the spacers to help make it more stable. My calculations were more to help folks understand the relationships between taller tires and roll over......I think nearly everybody knew that, but it gives an idea of how much spacer is needed since there seemed to be some questions on the forum about how much spacer or offset to add. Sure hope she feels okay and that you have many miles of safe travels!
Yes indeed, and I’m sorry to not have acknowledged your impressive mathematics. :cool:

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Montecrestom my wife also has a plate on her skull. I to try to do things differently when she is with me and she loves to ride.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Montecrestom my wife also has a plate on her skull. I to try to do things differently when she is with me and she loves to ride.
Gotcha, I’m glad she likes to ride too. I know my wife is much more easily freaked when we get into situations where a wheel is coming off the ground or whatever and I don’t want to turn her off of riding....:cool:

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Gotcha, I’m glad she likes to ride too. I know my wife is much more easily freaked when we get into situations where a wheel is coming off the ground or whatever and I don’t want to turn her off of riding....:cool:
If accidentally get in a bad spot with her in it she don't freak out but she will get out and let me get it in a better spot then climb back in and go some more.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If accidentally get in a bad spot with her in it she don't freak out but she will get out and let me get it in a better spot then climb back in and go some more.
Same hear, I didn’t mean to dramatize it. I don’t let things get to that point, she gets out and walks around things occasionally.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
View attachment 107365

Holy crap you're smart!

Reactions: Eltobgi and trigger
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
who did you buy your spacers from. Brand..
1” came from eBay moose brand 2” came from amazon but I dont remember the brand. They look exactly like the moose but wider.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!