P500 Spare tire mounting ideas for the P500

ChungasRevenge

ChungasRevenge

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2016
The Land of Nod
Ownership

1. 500
Any Spare Tire mounting recommendations out there???

I would like to keep the mount in a relatively low position with an eye to the P500 COG. I have one bolt-on application that may work. I'll post up the results a little later in this thread.

I figure some of you folks out in "big sky country" or up in the land of the "midnight sun", who run spares for extended hunting excursions, may have an idea I can pilfer and claim as my own..

Reactions: Stoney and JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Any Spare Tire mounting recommendations out there???

I would like to keep the mount in a relatively low position with an eye to the P500 COG. I have one bolt-on application that may work. I'll post up the results a little later in this thread.

I figure some of you folks out in "big sky country" or up in the land of the "midnight sun", who run spares for extended hunting excursions, may have an idea I can pilfer and claim as my own..
If you do a search, I recall a member with a front mount, low, and another with a rear mount, low, off the receiver I think.

Reactions: ChungasRevenge
ChungasRevenge

ChungasRevenge

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2016
The Land of Nod
Ownership

1. 500
off the receiver

That's the direction I'm headed now. Keeps the COG low. The stock receiver is woefully inadequate. I will probably update that with a 2" in the near future. Add another "must have" to the growing list. How many days until Christmas??

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That's the direction I'm headed now. Keeps the COG low. The stock receiver is woefully inadequate. I will probably update that with a 2" in the near future. Add another "must have" to the growing list. How many days until Christmas??
Right, not a criticism of those that do it, these things being subjective as they are, I'm not a fan of the rear cage mount for reasons of both visibility obstruction and COG.

ChungasRevenge

ChungasRevenge

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2016
The Land of Nod
Ownership

1. 500
I had this old "Curt" left over from another project. I've been "eye-balling" the possibility of trying this out on the P500. It would require a new 2" receiver and possibly some reinforcement. It would keep the COG lower as opposed to mounting the spare above the bed. Just from a quick measurement it looks like it would fit. But, that is additional stress at that mounting point. Worse case I bought a new 2' which is on the future purchase list anyway.

IMG 2602 IMG 2601 IMG 2600

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I had this old "Curt" left over from another project. I've been "eye-balling" the possibility of trying this out on the P500. It would require a new 2" receiver and possibly some reinforcement. It would keep the COG lower as opposed to mounting the spare above the bed. Just from a quick measurement it looks like it would fit. But, that is additional stress at that mounting point. Worse case I bought a new 2' which is on the future purchase list anyway.

View attachment 29887 View attachment 29888 View attachment 29889
That's outstanding! @PistonHonda is the guy you want to speak with for the 2" receiver upgrade.

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I mounted my spare to the front bumper. Just bolted a piece of angle iron, using the mounting bolts on the bumper and then ran 2 eye bolts through the spare and to the angle. The eye bolts made them easy to tighten. I've ran it this way about year and a half and never had any cooling problems at all, even in 100* Arkansas summers.

IMG 1585 zpswxw4za39

IMG 1735 zpsfy9dit2k

IMG 1733 zps5lpm0c5o

IMG 1732 zpszn55hd5h

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Never had to use the spare, but I usually take the 500 to Colorado 2 or 3 time a year and we run a lot of rocky stuff and put lots of miles on it, having a spare along makes me feel better. Also having the spare up there on the front makes an even better bumper, I've bounced off a few pretty solid objects with it.

Reactions: joeymt33
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Never had to use the spare, but I usually take the 500 to Colorado 2 or 3 time a year and we run a lot of rocky stuff and put lots of miles on it, having a spare along makes me feel better. Also having the spare up there on the front makes an even better bumper, I've bounced off a few pretty solid objects with it.
You mean there's rocks in the Rocky Mountains.......shrug. :)

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I carry compressor. ..plugs & patches
in over 37 yrs of riding..from tote goat...
3 wheelers....ATV.....UTV..
I've never walked out to..
get a tire...
just sayin..
I ride rocks / catus..
most tire failure is to
low of psi...comes off bead
damages tire...
10psi...
IMO

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Right. Air compressors, boots, plugs, etc., won't help with a side wall blow out like I had recently. Hit a very sharp rock that pinched the sidewall against the wheel and made a 1" diameter hole that would have sent me walking out, but luckily I was just 200 yards from the house. I never thought a spare was necessary until that. I've carried all the above since day one, but never needed it. Can't believe I had the need of a spare first.

Last edited:
ChungasRevenge

ChungasRevenge

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2016
The Land of Nod
Ownership

1. 500
I mounted my spare to the front bumper. Just bolted a piece of angle iron, using the mounting bolts on the bumper and then ran 2 eye bolts through the spare and to the angle. The eye bolts made them easy to tighten. I've ran it this way about year and a half and never had any cooling problems at all, even in 100* Arkansas summers.

^^^I like it!!!

Is that a Honda OE front bumper? I'm going to fiddle with the rear mount option and the front mount option as well. I have a 2" rear receiver inbound. Thought about a 2" snowplow mount to hold the "Curt" spare holder for a front mount configuration. I'm just kicking the can at this point.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
^^^I like it!!!

Is that a Honda OE front bumper? I'm going to fiddle with the rear mount option and the front mount option as well. I have a 2" rear receiver inbound. Thought about a 2" snowplow mount to hold the "Curt" spare holder for a front mount configuration. I'm just kicking the can at this point.
Always, the poor can. ;)

Reactions: ChungasRevenge
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
^^^I like it!!!

Yes that's a Honda Front bumper. I just took out the 2 mounting bolts, placed the angle iron on it and marked it for the holes. Once they were bored I used a pair of longer bolts to mount the angle to the bumper. I used eye bolts to hold the spare on for ease of tightening. I always meant to weld the nuts for the eye bolts to the back the angle, but never have. It's worked well and didn't cost anything as I used scrap and bolts I had laying around.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I've plugged sidewall in tires more than once
over an inch hole....8 plugs folded in half
.....=16
yes had to air up a few times on way home
but...never walked home..
cause of no spare
that's a fact

Reactions: Stoney

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!