1. 500
If ya ride where ....it gets really
hot in the summer.. not wise
IMO... to cover up that much
of..the radiator
& seems to me...blocks
sight...
but that's just my opinion

I was worried about this at first, but after running it 2 summers here in Arkansas, lots of 90+ and some 100+ days, it never ran any hotter than without it. I guess it sits far enough in front of the radiator as to not be an obstruction. By the time its mounted to the front of the bumper there is a lot of room between the spare and the radiator. I have watched the heat gauge closely ever since I mounted it this way and have never seen any indication of losing any cooling capacity. When I first mounted it I was going to Colorado in the late fall at 10,000 to 13,000ft and wasn't worried about cooling, I planned on taking it off before the next summer in Arkansas, but never got around to it, so I kept a close eye on the heat gauge and the amount of time the fan ran. After a hot summer of running it with the spare on there I quit worrying about it.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I was worried about this at first, but after running it 2 summers here in Arkansas, lots of 90+ and some 100+ days, it never ran any hotter than without it. I guess it sits far enough in front of the radiator as to not be an obstruction. By the time its mounted to the front of the bumper there is a lot of room between the spare and the radiator. I have watched the heat gauge closely ever since I mounted it this way and have never seen any indication of losing any cooling capacity. When I first mounted it I was going to Colorado in the late fall at 10,000 to 13,000ft and wasn't worried about cooling, I planned on taking it off before the next summer in Arkansas, but never got around to it, so I kept a close eye on the heat gauge and the amount of time the fan ran. After a hot summer of running it with the spare on there I quit worrying about it.

That good Sam
....glad it worked for ya.....
I've never needed a spare
but everyone has there
own deal....We desert
ride in New Mexico. ..
rocks...catus..
then ponderosa pine
forest....

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
That good Sam
....glad it worked for ya.....
but everyone has there
own deal....We desert
ride in New Mexico. ..
rocks...catus..
then ponderosa pine
forest....

Kind'a like insurance, you hope you don't need it, but it's a piece of mind thing when you've got it and great to have if you do need it.

Reactions: rocmar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Kind'a like insurance, you hope you don't need it, but it's a piece of mind thing when you've got it and great to have if you do need it.
Exactly, and walking out due to a side wall blow out would really be a bummer.

ChungasRevenge

ChungasRevenge

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2016
The Land of Nod
Ownership

1. 500
Kind'a like insurance

A single shot is enough to "get the job done"...19 x-tra in a magazine is insurance. You may never need it but, when you do, its nice to have..........:D

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this thread are the sole responsibility of the author and may or may not represent the opinions of coddled college students, the politically correct or individuals who shoot ten (10) round mags..

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW and trigger
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
A single shot is enough to "get the job done"...19 x-tra in a magazine is insurance. You may never need it but, when you do, its nice to have..........:D

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this thread are the sole responsibility of the author and may or may not represent the opinions of coddled college students, the politically correct or individuals who shoot ten (10) round mags..

You do your thing
...I'll do mine
Over 37yrs...riding
never walked out
Look around...how many
people have a spare
less than 5%

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Have plugs...patches
& compressor
which is my...
INSURANCE

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Have plugs...patches
& compressor
which is my...
INSURANCE
Very confident in
how I ride...& my
caution. ..in my
abilities. ..the only
place a spare can go
...makes it more
Tippy...
IMO

Last edited:
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

19 x-tra....
to me...means
you need to go to
...the gun range

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any Spare Tire mounting recommendations out there???

I would like to keep the mount in a relatively low position with an eye to the P500 COG. I have one bolt-on application that may work. I'll post up the results a little later in this thread.

I figure some of you folks out in "big sky country" or up in the land of the "midnight sun", who run spares for extended hunting excursions, may have an idea I can pilfer and claim as my own..

Try messaging @Moses He fabs racks to carry tires, Rotopax, coolers, etc. I know he makes them for the 1000 and maybe the 700. I think he was looking at doing the 500, too.

Reactions: ChungasRevenge
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Exactly, and walking out due to a side wall blow out would really be a bummer.

I wanted to mount a spare right outta the gate, just never could find a good place to mount it. The only one that I really liked was @Chooglin's 's but that location was only achieved by building a custom box.

ChungasRevenge

ChungasRevenge

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2016
The Land of Nod
Ownership

1. 500
my...
INSURANCE
INSURANCE

Have plugs...patches
& compressor

19 x-tra....

walked out

Little brother, you are indeed an indomitable forum warrior with years of experience, who is willing to impart on those of us less "experienced" philistines, your enterprising application of emergency tire repair(s).

My apparent apprehensive and overly cautious approach to building "kit" , apparently stems from my judicious tendency to safeguarding for the unexpected. For instance, I jumped out of airplanes for 25+ years. In each of those instances, I "always" packed a reserve. Thankfully, I never pulled the reserve once or found myself in such an occasion where I thought it prudent to do so. However, it was, "IMO", prudent to have one. An insurance policy of sorts in the event I wanted to "walk out" of a potentially bad situation.

It was taught to me very early on, that when trusting your general well being, likely maiming and potential death to a material that is produced from the corporeal offerings of a silk worms a$$, that it is good to have "Insurance". It stands to reason that tires, much like silk worm sh!t, should not be trusted implicitly with your life and general well being.

Would you, given the formidable task of transporting your favorite picnic basket out to some romantic rendezvous with your significant, leave your "patches and plugs" behind? I dare say not. In fact, if the truth be known, I'm sure you pack a double "basic load" of precautionary plugging material for just such an occasion.

The "19-x-tra" are usually reserved for those confident, yet misguided souls,who venture forth into unforeseeable situations without mindful planning or an eye toward the unexpected. I'm sure you have met some of these odious jesters who believe that a band-aide is an appropriate "reserve" for a lack of planning.

I can tell by your keen wit and penchant for levity, that you are a rider of indomitable humor and possess a certain acumen for pithy repartee. I enjoy your insightful suggestions and your imaginative approach to the otherwise mundane enterprise of selecting accessories.

But, in the end, I reckon I'll just have to trust my gut on this one......

Thanks for the tips!!!

ChungasRevenge

ChungasRevenge

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2016
The Land of Nod
Ownership

1. 500
I wanted to mount a spare right outta the gate

Yep, cut from the same cloth. I'm scratch'en my pointed and fuzzy head trying to come up with an ecumenical guide to "spare tire mounting".

Reactions: Stoney
C

Chooglin

Little brother, you are indeed an indomitable forum warrior with years of experience, who is willing to impart on those of us less "experienced" philistines, your enterprising application of emergency tire repair(s).

My apparent apprehensive and overly cautious approach to building "kit" , apparently stems from my judicious tendency to safeguarding for the unexpected. For instance, I jumped out of airplanes for 25+ years. In each of those instances, I "always" packed a reserve. Thankfully, I never pulled the reserve once or found myself in such an occasion where I thought it prudent to do so. However, it was, "IMO", prudent to have one. An insurance policy of sorts in the event I wanted to "walk out" of a potentially bad situation.

It was taught to me very early on, that when trusting your general well being, likely maiming and potential death to a material that is produced from the corporeal offerings of a silk worms a$$, that it is good to have "Insurance". It stands to reason that tires, much like silk worm sh!t, should not be trusted implicitly with your life and general well being.

Would you, given the formidable task of transporting your favorite picnic basket out to some romantic rendezvous with your significant, leave your "patches and plugs" behind? I dare say not. In fact, if the truth be known, I'm sure you pack a double "basic load" of precautionary plugging material for just such an occasion.

The "19-x-tra" are usually reserved for those confident, yet misguided souls,who venture forth into unforeseeable situations without mindful planning or an eye toward the unexpected. I'm sure you have met some of these odious jesters who believe that a band-aide is an appropriate "reserve" for a lack of planning.

I can tell by your keen wit and penchant for levity, that you are a rider of indomitable humor and possess a certain acumen for pithy repartee. I enjoy your insightful suggestions and your imaginative approach to the otherwise mundane enterprise of selecting accessories.

Thanks for the tips!!!
Wow , my head hurts after reading that one :)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I wanted to mount a spare right outta the gate, just never could find a good place to mount it. The only one that I really liked was @Chooglin's 's but that location was only achieved by building a custom box.
It's the same reason that I don't have one. Never could come up with a location that I liked that didn't add weight well above the P5's COG, and you know I don't like tippy. ;)

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Thanks for the tips!!!
You feel better now...
do wat ya want...
I don't care....
maybe take two
spares...
HELLO
NUMEROUS POST AGO
WAS SAID. ..
YOU DO YOUR THING
...I'LL. .DO MINE
less than 5%
P5 riders carry spares
tear it up...
Baby Brother

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Yep, cut from the same cloth. I'm scratch'en my pointed and fuzzy head trying to come up with an ecumenical guide to "spare tire mounting".
Maybe...over your mouth
I shared my experiences
& my opinions

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!