P1000m5 Speaker pods

themightymet

themightymet

May 2, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Made these last week and tried them on the trail this past Friday. They work great! I used two 6" PVC elbows and glued in a 3" piece of pipe in each end. This gives enough material for the screws to gab onto. I am running a Planet Audio 3" marine head unit with a Kenwood 400 watt class D marine amp to 4 Kenwood 6.5" dual component marine speakers. It sounds great and is loud! I will be removing them soon to have a friend vinyl wrap the pods in carbon fiber. The pods fit well in their location and don't impede the passengers or the rear view mirror. 62a4d57b91eb947141bcc6abd82bcff91724f9f6c2ff5deea610ac432b8b3095589be093ebec384841dd1457140256541a0fbf60b4eb98cefd2877ff38953444

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pretty cool idea! I like it.

ShadowAero

ShadowAero

“Big Tasty”
Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2017
Mount Dora, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Made these last week and tried them on the trail this past Friday. They work great! I used two 6" PVC elbows and glued in a 3" piece of pipe in each end. This gives enough material for the screws to gab onto. I am running a Planet Audio 3" marine head unit with a Kenwood 400 watt class D marine amp to 4 Kenwood 6.5" dual component marine speakers. It sounds great and is loud! I will be removing them soon to have a friend vinyl wrap the pods in carbon fiber. The pods fit well in their location and don't impede the passengers or the rear view mirror. View attachment 44920View attachment 44921View attachment 44922View attachment 44923

I love the ingenuity. I have a couple questions. Where did you mount amp. how did you run wires? Did you fill anything in pvc pipe to create deeper bass? Where did you get mount for bar?

themightymet

themightymet

May 2, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I love the ingenuity. I have a couple questions. Where did you mount amp. how did you run wires? Did you fill anything in pvc pipe to create deeper bass? Where did you get mount for bar?

I mounted the amp on top of the battery. I used two zip screws into the plastic and two zip ties around the battery strap. It's pretty solid and didn't move at all. Ed99e54f30474a409070e306e078138e
The speaker wires run up the pillars on both sides. I need to get some loom to put them in still. The cage isn't built very well for running wires inside of it.

I did not pack the pipes with anything. No matter what you do, with out a actual sub you won't get much bass. The frequency response of the speakers won't allow any real rumble anyway. I may look into a sub later but for now these are fine.

I was going to use exhaust ubolts because they have the saddle on them that will fit the cage. But I would have to disassemble the pod to remove them. I bought lightbar clamps from tractor supply. They are heavy duty and around $17 a pair. I use them for all my lights as well. They work awesome. Fa5cca9e6d109b4de3e35366ff8a3dba

ShadowAero

ShadowAero

“Big Tasty”
Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2017
Mount Dora, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mounted the amp on top of the battery. I used two zip screws into the plastic and two zip ties around the battery strap. It's pretty solid and didn't move at all. View attachment 44944
The speaker wires run up the pillars on both sides. I need to get some loom to put them in still. The cage isn't built very well for running wires inside of it.

I did not pack the pipes with anything. No matter what you do, with out a actual sub you won't get much bass. The frequency response of the speakers won't allow any real rumble anyway. I may look into a sub later but for now these are fine.

I was going to use exhaust ubolts because they have the saddle on them that will fit the cage. But I would have to disassemble the pod to remove them. I bought lightbar clamps from tractor supply. They are heavy duty and around $17 a pair. I use them for all my lights as well. They work awesome. View attachment 44945

I like it. Simple but effective. Thanks for replying!

Reactions: Eltobgi
K

Kolton

Oct 15, 2016
Vance, al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you port the pvc? I've just made a set of these and wondering if it helped the sound to port them?

K

Kolton

Oct 15, 2016
Vance, al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Way too small to port, IMO.
Mine are 6" I.d. and about 9.5" long, I was wondering if I should leave them alone or give them a small hole to let the pressure out. I read that if they aren't sealed off then you don't have to push them as hard, because the cone doesn't have to fight the pressure that's created inside. But I'll have to have holes for the wires I guess anyways. I don't know what I'm doing to be honest.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Mine are 6" I.d. and about 9.5" long, I was wondering if I should leave them alone or give them a small hole to let the pressure out. I read that if they aren't sealed off then you don't have to push them as hard, because the cone doesn't have to fight the pressure that's created inside. But I'll have to have holes for the wires I guess anyways. I don't know what I'm doing to be honest.

FWIW, not much pressure is created with a midrange or tweeter, porting it would muddy the sound and you want clarity from that size of a speaker. Porting is generally for subwoofers where the cone has a lot of movement. Even then a sealed box will be clearer sounding. The only reason you see ported subwoofers is that it takes less power to create the boom but doing that reduces the range of frequencies it can produce. I have two 10" subs in my truck in a sealed box, takes a fat amp to drive them but produces very tight and clear bass. A ported enclosure will boom more but you may find one bass note carrying into another. Then there is a bandpass box where the woofer is actually mounted within the box and sound only comes from holes, these are usually what you hear next to you at a stop light and the trunk is rattling. Very boomy, efficient for a much smaller frequency range and take less power to drive. Hope this helps Kolton.

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
FWIW, not much pressure is created with a midrange or tweeter, porting it would muddy the sound and you want clarity from that size of a speaker. Porting is generally for subwoofers where the cone has a lot of movement. Even then a sealed box will be clearer sounding. The only reason you see ported subwoofers is that it takes less power to create the boom but doing that reduces the range of frequencies it can produce. I have two 10" subs in my truck in a sealed box, takes a fat amp to drive them but produces very tight and clear bass. A ported enclosure will boom more but you may find one bass note carrying into another. Then there is a bandpass box where the woofer is actually mounted within the box and sound only comes from holes, these are usually what you hear next to you at a stop light and the trunk is rattling. Very boomy, efficient for a much smaller frequency range and take less power to drive. Hope this helps Kolton.

not to mention its an off road machine you will be pressure washing! id call them drain holes instead of ports lol. Ive used PVC to mount speakers in trucks and boats holds up very well and looks pretty professional when done right.

@themightymet do you get any feedback with the amp being strapped to the battery?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!