P500 Starting fresh - What do I Need?

L

larrybud

May 20, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 500
I’m open to suggestions on hard vs a rag top. Looks like the canvas tops are about 1/2 to 1/3 the price.

As far as the 50” trails go. I bought the P5 for this very purpose. Our hunting area has access to some prime turf accessible only by foot or <50” OHVs. I’m keeping her trail legal.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Never owned the soft top but I've always thought they looked cool. I suppose they would serve their purpose but the hard tops are about indestructible. I've beat the hell out of mine and it's held up great. I've mounted led's to it as well, which you couldn't do with a soft top. Cough up a few extra bucks now and it'll be the last top you buy. JMO

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Squeezed under many a branch with a hard top, would have destroyed a soft top. And a soft rear roll up panel is good help for dust control from the cab vortex.

Last edited:
T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
I have a Tusk soft back enclosure and so far it has endured brushy trails and trailering at highway speeds for up to 80 miles at a stretch. Hard top is the only way to go. Mine is Honda OEM but there are others out there that may be better. Shop around and ask here. Someone on here has had or has used about everything. Lots of winches too I got a Superwinch 3500. It was relatively easy to install. I bought a Seizmik Versa vent windshield. Look somewhere else for that.:(

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
mrjeff42

mrjeff42

Mar 22, 2015
lagrange georgia
Ownership

1. 500
the P5 is a blank canvas.... build yours for your needs.... there are no 2 P5's the same....I am on my second P5 and have put at least 6 different racks on the back until I got it just right for me.....one of the first things I did was tires and a winch... I have never used my winch but have one just in case.... I also run a aggressive tire pattern but don't do much mud riding.... I just don't want to get stuck....I like riding not winching....hard roof, windshield, winch, and tires would be a good start..... but you have to get the chooglin glove box....and they say the red goes faster but the green goes deeper.....that's just a little inside joke

D

Deleted member 3748

Never owned the soft top but I've always thought they looked cool. I suppose they would serve their purpose but the hard tops are about indestructible. I've beat the hell out of mine and it's held up great. I've mounted led's to it as well, which you couldn't do with a soft top. Cough up a few extra bucks now and it'll be the last top you buy. JMO
The soft tops can take a hell of a beating.

S

Steven1968

Oct 2, 2018
Syracuse, New York
Ownership

1. 500
I purchased a soft top but before the season was over purchased the hard top. I don't think you can trailer it with a soft top, at least that was what I read and looking at the way it is attached reinforces that thought. You can't mount anything to it, I see a lot of people mount lights up top. I would recommend the hard top right from the start.

Reactions: mrjeff42
Mudcat

Mudcat

May 1, 2019
Aiken, SC
Ownership

1. 500
Now which winch?
I just put a SuperATV 3500 winch on mine. Be sure you get the right winch mount for it. The Honda mount will only work with the Warn winch. I found that out and had to take it back. Good thing was I saved about $150 when I got the right mount.

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
I use mine for hunting on small tight atv trails. I don’t ever go on joy rides. Here is a must list for me.

1. Hard Top because the canvas will rip on low limbs.
2. winch
3. Boot protectors
4. The rack setup. Toolbox with a atv drop basket rack. Both can be picked up cheap on Facebook marketplace.
5. Front basket rack from strongmade.
6. The glovebox mod

With that being said you can fit a windshield in there at anytime but the p5 lacks in storage especially for hunting gear.

C2217E5A 851D 495E B569 B75E9C14D22F

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Be welcome to the hereness of now within this forum. Winch, hard roof, SuperATV flip up windshield if you’re short in stature. Rear panel. Keep the rims and bring a hammer or replace with 5+2 offset rims and bring a hammer unless buying aluminum, replace the tires with 26” all the way around (get a spare). Spacers.
Methuselah Fractal Imagry Retina Cannons in phase 5.

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Larry,

I'm with others that said while you can empty a wallet, check to see what your riding requires and not be swept up in the "this would be cool to have" hype. That said, I went for winch, windshield (best decision), and roof right off the top. Skid plates and tires are likely soon as the travel needs some help for Colorado classics.

GMac (Lil'Red ... the best color, as in Go Big ...!)

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just bought a 2018 P500 ( red btw ). It's still at the dealer and I'll pick it up next Thursday. I bought it primarily as an Elk Hunting Mobility Tool. However, both my Son and I will use it for some Colorado Trail riding.

I'm thinking a roof ( Canvas or Hard? ), Some of those strap on handles, Don't know if we need a winch? Do we need a windshield? Finally, I'm wondering how to configure the rack? I see the whole thread dedicated to the topic. Hmmm.

Anything else? I know the sky's the limit. Thought I'd keep the stock wheels year one.
Better tires, winch, roof, windshield one that opens all the way like superatv on. Rear window. This is a great start. Maybe charging ports for radios.

S

Seavy

May 27, 2019
Crawford, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not usually, but there are big solid steel posts keeping you out and other riders that take exception to a wide vehicle on a 50" trail and huge fines for getting caught.
Now which winch?
I would strongly suggest a synthetic rope winch the wire cable winches can bind and kink overtime. I have an axon 4500 and have been throughly pleased. Short cable but I carry extra straps.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!