P500 Starting fresh - What do I Need?

L

larrybud

May 20, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 500
I just bought a 2018 P500 ( red btw ). It's still at the dealer and I'll pick it up next Thursday. I bought it primarily as an Elk Hunting Mobility Tool. However, both my Son and I will use it for some Colorado Trail riding.

I'm thinking a roof ( Canvas or Hard? ), Some of those strap on handles, Don't know if we need a winch? Do we need a windshield? Finally, I'm wondering how to configure the rack? I see the whole thread dedicated to the topic. Hmmm.

Anything else? I know the sky's the limit. Thought I'd keep the stock wheels year one.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Welcome from The Great Lakes State. As you said, the sky's the limit for sure. Tons of ideas and folks on this forum that will help you spend you money on mods, upgrades, accessories, etc. :D

Get some pics posted up after you pick her up!!

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to this forum. You will enjoy it as it comes from the factory and will soon realize what accessories and modifications will increase your pleasure and utility.
Take your time and investigate each change carefully before you spend the time and money. I am getting my bike customized to my needs and the landscape that I use it in. Your needs will be unique to your circumstances; the P500 owner 2 miles down the road will want to outfit his machine differently than you. I had the dealer install a few items before delivery and now realize that I would have made different choices had I spent a couple of hours reading the different recommendations on this forum.
Once you have made the "perfect" choice do not hesitate to ask a few questions here before you buy; many members will show you the pros and cons of your decision and you will eventually make the right choice.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Starting fresh - What do I Need?...
Triple whatever you think your budget is. That should get you started. Oh and never say "I'm done now", unless you are a habitual liar.
hahahaha
Welcome to the fun. Look forward to watching years of enjoyment with it.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
You can honestly run it just the way it is. Better tires will improve the ride and capabilities. Having a roof is nice for riding in the rain and keeping the sun from cooking you. Full windshield isn't necessary until winter. If you get stuck, a winch will be the best money you ever spent on it. Beyond that, sky's the limit.
Oh and welcome to the best forum on the web! :)

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can honestly run it just the way it is. Better tires will improve the ride and capabilities. Having a roof is nice for riding in the rain and keeping the sun from cooking you. Full windshield isn't necessary until winter. If you get stuck, a winch will be the best money you ever spent on it. Beyond that, sky's the limit.
Oh and welcome to the best forum on the web! :)
Wise words.

You bought a red one so obviously you make excellent decisions. It is a well known fact that red is the fastest and most dependable color option Honda makes.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
With wooded and muddy trail riding, a winch mounted to a sturdy Strongmade front bumper was most important $$ mod for me as you may have to bump through brush during a trail detour, or get home after an unplanned stuck/high centered situation in the middle of nowhere. The rest of mods were for comfort or an increased level of capabilities. Getting back home should be a first priority, especially if you don’t always ride with others to help out. Basic inexpensive trail stuff like emergency hand saw, shovel, CO2 tire plug kit and first aid kit were a given. Guess it depends on where you ride.

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
Got to agree get a winch for those just in case way out in the woods moments. I suggest a windshield for wet and cold weather. Makes a huge difference on those days IMO. A Trigger Shield and some kind of back enclosure for dust control. That will get you started and time and experience will take you the rest of the way.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I just bought a 2018 P500 ( red btw ). It's still at the dealer and I'll pick it up next Thursday. I bought it primarily as an Elk Hunting Mobility Tool. However, both my Son and I will use it for some Colorado Trail riding.

I'm thinking a roof ( Canvas or Hard? ), Some of those strap on handles, Don't know if we need a winch? Do we need a windshield? Finally, I'm wondering how to configure the rack? I see the whole thread dedicated to the topic. Hmmm.

Anything else? I know the sky's the limit. Thought I'd keep the stock wheels year one.
If you are going to ride much here in Colorado, keep in mind before adding any spacers there are a lot of 50" restricted trails.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!