BOX1

P500 Starting issues

U

Urpine56

Mar 16, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. 500
My P500 won’t turn over after code 64. Put in a new battery and no code but just a click at the relay switch.
I only get 7 volts at the starter motor when I turn the ignition to start. Any easy ideas before I do more testing and pull the starter? The starter did make a different sound just before I coded 64.

U

Urpine56

Mar 16, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. 500
My P500 won’t turn over after code 64. Put in a new battery and no code but just a click at the relay switch.
I only get 7 volts at the starter motor when I turn the ignition to start. Any easy ideas before I do more testing and pull the starter? The starter did make a different sound just before I coded 64.
UPDATE
After going through the troubleshooting checklist in the service manual I determined it was the starter. I pulled it and it was fried. Magnets were unglued and disintegrated. Ordered OEM and it popped right off.
Having a service manual is well worth the money spent versus my local Honda service rate of $140.00 an hour!

C862E420 CF98 4BE6 95BC 94F97041F4EF

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Agreed! If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and like to work on your own stuff, the factory shop manual is invaluable!

I've owned my 1986 TRX 250R for 26 years, done all the maintenance, top-end rebuilds and broken/worn parts replacements and to this day, still refer to the shop manual for those forgotten torque specs or correct order to reassemble something.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!