P700 steep climb power out?

ronhuntin

ronhuntin

Mar 22, 2017
utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am a newbie at the Honda side by side and I just purchased a new 2017 700-4. I only have 50 miles on it and was climbing a hill about 75 yards long and barely inched over the top with everything it had. Will it get better as it breaks in or is that just the way it is? It was just me and my wife in the machine. The machine is warmed up and about a 60 degree angle. Not sure if being in auto mode instead of manual would help?? It didn't act like the tranny was slipping, just engine rpm's got less and less with it floored. The elevation is about 5500 feet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plumber32
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
How steep was the hill? And was the machine warmed up?

ronhuntin

ronhuntin

Mar 22, 2017
utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
How steep was the hill? And was the machine warmed up?
The machine was warmed up and I had it in auto mode. wondering if it was better in manual? It was probably about 12
percent incline just guessing. steep enough I didn't really want to go down backwards. The tires weren't spinning and the engine was not at high RPM's. Just got slower and slower until it almost stopped.

Reactions: Tmoose23
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds like it wasn't in 1rst gear for some reason.

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
sometimes in auto mode you have to stop and it downshifts but you have paddles so try it in first,,It takes time to get used to the 700 shifting....

Reactions: Plumber32
ronhuntin

ronhuntin

Mar 22, 2017
utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
sometimes in auto mode you have to stop and it downshifts but you have paddles so try it in first,,It takes time to get used to the 700 shifting....
Thanks, I will try that the next time out. still learning the machine!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah mine holds 2nd longer than I'd like sometimes. Being as you have the luxury of being able to shift, I'd say if it does it again just click it down into first which I believe you can still do even if you're in auto mode.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
ronhuntin

ronhuntin

Mar 22, 2017
utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah mine holds 2nd longer than I'd like sometimes. Being as you have the luxury of being able to shift, I'd say if it does it again just click it down into first which I believe you can still do even if you're in auto mode.
Thanks Flynn! Hope fully that's all it is. Love the machine and its ten times what my Arctic cat prowler was.

ronhuntin

ronhuntin

Mar 22, 2017
utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
Finally took it out again tonight and it definitely powers out on steep hills if you don't keep your speed up. I then took it down the street in the neighborhood and my top speed was about 36. Not quite sure what is going on. I hope it gets better as it breaks in. I have 60 miles on it now. I read somewhere that the top speed should be around 45?? Any ideas anyone?

advertisement
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally took it out again tonight and it definitely powers out on steep hills if you don't keep your speed up. I then took it down the street in the neighborhood and my top speed was about 36. Not quite sure what is going on. I hope it gets better as it breaks in. I have 60 miles on it now. I read somewhere that the top speed should be around 45?? Any ideas anyone?
3 things I can think of. Bad fuel. Dirty/plugged air filter. Or baffle in exhaust is bad. Some early ones had this problem. Mine would hit the Rev limiter very easy even with 26" tires and a ton of accessories.

ronhuntin

ronhuntin

Mar 22, 2017
utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
3 things I can think of. Bad fuel. Dirty/plugged air filter. Or baffle in exhaust is bad. Some early ones had this problem. Mine would hit the Rev limiter very easy even with 26" tires and a ton of accessories.
the machine only has 60 miles on it and I checked the air filter and it was clean. I am running stock tires and have added a windshield, winch, Honda full top and a gun rack. I wouldn't think it all would add up to too much weight to effect the hp that bad. maybe it is what it is and cant do much. I wonder if there is any mods that will help the hp? I will have to check the forums.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
the machine only has 60 miles on it and Ichecked the air filter and it was clean. I am running stock tires and have added a windshield, winch, Honda full top and a gun rack. I wouldn't think it all would add up to too much weight to effect the hp that bad. maybe it is what it is and cant do much. I wonder if there is any mods that will help the hp? I will have to check the forums.
Take it back to the shop should be hitting about 45 top speed

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Take it in. It's not right. I even had a full cab on mine.

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I tip the scale at 2000 lbs.with 4 people and the dog and all gear.And easily hit 44mph.Tell the dealer "Somptinz Wong"Also make sure the E brake is not stuck on.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Agree with above posts. Top speed is 45, if you're only making it to 36 there's got to be a problem.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Perhaps the valves need adjustment? Can you hear them rapping at all?

ronhuntin

ronhuntin

Mar 22, 2017
utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
Perhaps the valves need adjustment? Can you hear them rapping at all?
No. The engine sounds really quiet. I even added a uni filter and still can't hit 40

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!