P500 Steerimg wheel with buttons to operate winch

C

Chooglin

I have been looking into the idea of adding a steering wheel with buttons or adding some buttons to the stock wheel. I would like to operate my winch with these , it would make it so much easier while plowing snow (along with the reverse lever mod)

The options that I have looked at so far!

https://www.amazon.com/Miller-Edge-C182-12B-Conductor-Extends/dp/B00NG1LKQS/?tag=sxsweb24-20

https://www.amazon.com/WINOMO-Momentary-Button-Doorbell-Waterproof/dp/B01N7QADKO/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Universal NOS Button Steering Wheel Black PVC Leather JDM Godsnow Horn | eBay

S l400

Motion Raceworks Opposite Side Dual Push Button Steering Wheel Bracket With Red/Green Buttons & Weather Packs

Last edited by a moderator:
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I would think it would be confusing having the buttons on the steering wheel, I saw a few years ago where popo has a shifter knob with the switches built into the top of it. I think with them on the wheel you'll be looking for them and trying to figure out which is which all the time.

C

Chooglin

I would think it would be confusing having the buttons on the steering wheel, I saw a few years ago where popo has a shifter knob with the switches built into the top of it. I think with them on the wheel you'll be looking for them and trying to figure out which is which all the time.
I don't think it would be confusing , but I do worry about the buttons being in the way and accidentally hitting them while driving.

D

Duckhunt

I don't think it would be confusing , but I do worry about the buttons being in the way and accidentally hitting them while driving.

I like the nice big buttons easy to hit with gloves. I've seen winch remote setups stuck to steering wheels. Nice no wiring but the buttons are tiny.

You could always throw a 2-pole switch on the dash to kill the steering wheel buttons??? What's one more switch! :)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No, you learn it quick. The winch control on my Ranger is on the shifter and it’s great.....:cool:

Reactions: Chooglin
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You could always throw a 2-pole switch on the dash to kill the steering wheel buttons??? What's one more switch! :)
Yeah, great idea. Then you can lock them out when not in use and yes, we love adding switches....:D:D:D

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Have you looked into steering wheel tilt&trim buttons like are used on boats
Hmmmmmm....:cool: Those work hydraulics right. Do you mean instead of a winch system?

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mounted the rocker switch onto the gear shift knob on my neighbor's 700. That way he can raise and lower while shifting back and forth. Idk if that would help you or not on the 500.

20181201 171524

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Relay?????
Of course... and that's what the switches operate on tilt and trim, though some relays operate at higher current than others. But I'm fairly certain that won't be a problem with a winch.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!